Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #31
Dray
Dray
is healing up :/
Max Brawn
Points: 9,830, Level: 66 Points: 9,830, Level: 66 Points: 9,830, Level: 66
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

If you're never going to compete in strength-related sports, then it probably doesn't matter if you wear gloves when lifting, at least sometimes.

I'm not keen on them, and a lot of people aren't, especially on forums where just about everyone and their dog is so hardcore it hurts, but even so, plenty of people do use them, and as far as I'm aware, their balls haven't fallen off yet...

In other words, if you want to use gloves when lifting, in some instances, then fuck those who say you can't, or shouldn't, or whatever. They can go screw themselves (just for something different, lol), and meanwhile, you can get on with lifting. Win/win!

Not actually recommending them, by the way - it's a personal choice, is all, but in case you're not aware of some of the sorts of people that might use them:

My new training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #32
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,932, Level: 76 Points: 13,932, Level: 76 Points: 13,932, Level: 76
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
If you're never going to compete in strength-related sports, then it probably doesn't matter if you wear gloves when lifting, at least sometimes.

I'm not keen on them, and a lot of people aren't, especially on forums where just about everyone and their dog is so hardcore it hurts, but even so, plenty of people do use them, and as far as I'm aware, their balls haven't fallen off yet...

In other words, if you want to use gloves when lifting, in some instances, then fuck those who say you can't, or shouldn't, or whatever. They can go screw themselves (just for something different, lol), and meanwhile, you can get on with lifting. Win/win!

Not actually recommending them, by the way - it's a personal choice, is all, but in case you're not aware of some of the sorts of people that might use them:

You have to start with balls for them to fall off...
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #33
Call_Me_Ishmael
Call_Me_Ishmael
doesn't have to be faster than the bear- just faster than the slowest camper.
Brawn
Points: 625, Level: 12 Points: 625, Level: 12 Points: 625, Level: 12
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Standing shoulder press
Call_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good postsCall_Me_Ishmael has made some good posts

[QUOTE=Dray;474468]

I'm not keen on them, and a lot of people aren't, especially on forums where just about everyone and their dog is so hardcore it hurts, /QUOTE]

Which means they probably have access to a hardcore gym that
allows chalk and has also invested higher quality equipment.

Not all weightlifting bars are created equal, believe it or not.

Some of them are easier to grip because they are made to be because they are of better quality.
Call_Me_Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #34
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I wear gloves, and have since I started my journey. I could careless, what people think bout this particular subject, and will not validate nor look for approval or disapproval for this decision to anyone. It is between me and the iron, and what I, repeat I, want out of the iron, and if I choose to do so, I will. This is not subject to anyone's opinion but my own. Reducing man-hood to a pair of gloves, is just silly .

Have a great day guys!

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #35
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,971, Level: 97 Points: 26,971, Level: 97 Points: 26,971, Level: 97
Activity: 78% Activity: 78% Activity: 78%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

When I first started deadlifting, I would often wear gloves. I did so because of how many guys on the forums would mention how there hands would bleed, and there is no way the old commercial gym I used to belong to would allow that all the time. I then sort of got used to them and would wear them on other lifts, even squats. I also did not want any calluses, as I hate them. However, after deciding to compete, I had to lose them and also start training without using straps, as they are of course not allowed at meets.

Funny thing is, not once since have I ever bled from the hands, and I have only scraped up my knees once from Sumo deadlifting. It appears my fears were unfounded, as I also have never even got a callus lol.

I also discovered I much prefer the feel of the iron with bare hands and would never use a glove again. Texas deadlift bars, I have found anyway, have just the right amount of knurling where they don't cut up your hands, yet provide an almost slip free grip, even without chalk.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #36
IrishHitman
IrishHitman
will become a big sumvabitch in 2013
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
My Mood: Cool
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

I remember back in my "bodybuilding days" reading somewhere about using golf gloves instead of "weightlifting gloves." I actually used this setup for a while back then and I liked it. They're significantly thinner than your typical gym glove, so you don't miss out on as much carryover for your grip.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #37
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

When I was training at a gym that didn't allow chalk, I used crossfit type grips from Dick's Sporting Goods that were pretty much a gymnast type grip. Wrap around the wrist, covers the palm, and then loops through the middle and wedding finger. They worked great but were a bit thick at times. I recommend you check them out.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook