Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Giving Up Nightshade Veggies

I'm editing an article and the author mentioned they gave up all nightshade veggies. Anyone know what possible health issues they were worried about?

I'm not about to give up my peppers and maters, but was curious why someone would.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Nightshade family contains small amounts of neurotoxins, that may be why, people seem to jump on every little thing even though nobody had issues eating veggies from the nightshade family before.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,307, Level: 79 Points: 15,307, Level: 79 Points: 15,307, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Never heard of it until now, but apparently it has something to do with the alkaloid content. This is minimal in the fruit of the plant if I recall my biology, especially when compared to the leaves. I'll do some more digging and see if I can come up with anything solid aside from second hand reports for yoga gurus.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Jesda
Jesda
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

I could never give up my maters! They are just too good.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100 Points: 136,782, Level: 100
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

WHFoods: What are nightshades and in which foods are they found?

Until Steve's post, I'd never heard of nightshade outside of 'Deadly Nightshade'.

There seems to be quite a lot of noise about nightshades and arthritis, though whether there is much to back that up, I've no idea.

Avoiding them would seem to be cutting out a substantial amount of really tasty foods that are packed with nutrients. Personally, I'd have to have a really good reason for that.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
SCStrong
SCStrong
is a devourer of beasts
Max Brawn
Points: 3,960, Level: 40 Points: 3,960, Level: 40 Points: 3,960, Level: 40
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
WHFoods: What are nightshades and in which foods are they found?

Until Steve's post, I'd never heard of nightshade outside of 'Deadly Nightshade'.

There seems to be quite a lot of noise about nightshades and arthritis, though whether there is much to back that up, I've no idea.

Avoiding them would seem to be cutting out a substantial amount of really tasty foods that are packed with nutrients. Personally, I'd have to have a really good reason for that.
Very informative.... Thanks for posting it.

I cannot give 'em up- love those peppers too much.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
I WILL
I WILL
says"will there be snacks?"
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm editing an article and the author mentioned they gave up all nightshade veggies. Anyone know what possible health issues they were worried about?

I'm not about to give up my peppers and maters, but was curious why someone would.
You don't have to give up your peppers and maters!
Possible health issues would be ...promoting inflammation and lectins. People with underlying health issues (there is a wide range) not just arthritis can be prone to inflammation so it is best they avoid these foods. So maybe the author has underlying health issues or is into a holistic type of protocol perhaps? It is kind of the same theory as gluten, lactose and soy free. It doesn't affect everybody, but the ones that it does affect can have severe side effects and by eliminating those certain foods it can benefit them tremendously.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post

You're not alone. They comprise at lease 50% of my veggie consumption.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook