Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #21
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
...there is no magic formula.
Looks like I was wrong.

Got Milk? Try Chocolate After Your Workout

http://www.bodyfitnessinfo.com/nutri..._recovery.html

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #22
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I've got a new bottle of Hersheys chocolate syrup in the fridge.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Come over to the dark side of the force and consume chocolate milk!

It's legal steroids, dude!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #24
moore_716
moore_716
has no status.
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Confused
moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

lemonade is also a great post workout drink.

as for the milk. Come to work with me for a week and you will change your mind. LOL
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
andy
andy
has no status.
Points: 480, Level: 9 Points: 480, Level: 9 Points: 480, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

andy is off to a bad start

Hi all, i am new here and fairly new to lifting, TRULY new to strength training using the basic lifts, with some purpose and structure to the program.

To answer the post, I wasted too much time, mental agony and money on the PWO shake/meal specifics.

I would consider myself a beginner and would grab the shovel so to speak. Milk/chocolate milk, eggs, cottage cheese, shake, anything and alot of it as long as there is plenty of protein and some sugar/carbs.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #26
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Hi all, i am new here and fairly new to lifting, TRULY new to strength training using the basic lifts, with some purpose and structure to the program.

To answer the post, I wasted too much time, mental agony and money on the PWO shake/meal specifics.

I would consider myself a beginner and would grab the shovel so to speak. Milk/chocolate milk, eggs, cottage cheese, shake, anything and alot of it as long as there is plenty of protein and some sugar/carbs.
Welcome to the forum Andy.

I was always lucky in that I never had the money to worry about nutrient timing, waxy maize, whey protein, etc. I just ate what I had, and generally that was mac and cheese, eggs or tuna.

I do believe a good share of post-workout nutrition is hype, or driven by the supplement industry. I know that there are many studies that reveal this or that about post-workout nutrition, but I still think that training hard and smart trumps the studies.

I don't like to discount science or research, but I am also very skeptical. I'm not from the school that believes you have to eat X grams of whatever within 7 seconds after lifting or your head will explode and you won't make any gains.

I believe that consistently hard training, and a somewhat structured eating approach is really all you need.

Also, I don't discount the possibility that for some real hardgainers, PWO might play a more important role.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #27
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Cool
sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

I follow Alan Aragon's teachings regarding PWO nutrition. I simply go for a full meal, usually oatmeal and some sort of protein. It fills me up, I feel more satiated, and it's far healthier than a lot of empty calories from dextrose or simple sugars.

Here's a link to his article - it's an excellent read:

http://user210805.websitewizard.com/...R-Jan-2008.pdf
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #28
folkprophet
folkprophet
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

My Mood: Aggressive
folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

I have seen absolutely no difference in my own growth or cutting with any post workout eating options. Protein, sugars, waxy maize, white bread, oatmeal, etc., etc.... No diff.

I'm of the school of thought that it doesn't make a lick of difference. Eat the proper macro nutrients, get the calories you need, and stop stressing about the rest of it.
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #29
sneezingstardust
sneezingstardust
fat powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Cool
sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
I have seen absolutely no difference in my own growth or cutting with any post workout eating options. Protein, sugars, waxy maize, white bread, oatmeal, etc., etc.... No diff.

I'm of the school of thought that it doesn't make a lick of difference. Eat the proper macro nutrients, get the calories you need, and stop stressing about the rest of it.
Exactly this ^^^
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #30
RickB
RickB
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Yeehaw
RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

I used to crave milk...and when I say crave I mean CRAVE! I've been off of it for about 2 wks now and I don't even think about it much anymore.

Of course, I'm trying to cut....so that's why I'm not having milk. If I go on a bulk, it will be back on the menu. Other than that, I think the timing thing doesn't make enough difference to matter....but that's just my opinion that's probably not worth 2 pennies.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook