Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFiveFive View Post
I go eat dinner after my workouts.

A BIG DINNER!
Same here man, and it's always worked well for me. I eat like Andre the Giant post-workout even if I eat little the rest of the day due to cutting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
moore_716
moore_716
has no status.
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Confused
moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

Here's what I do. I take some peanut butter and mix it with my protein. Like 1 scoop per 4-5 tablespoons. then I make up a few sandwiches with that and homemade strawberry jam. I keep them in the freezer and put one in my bag to take to the gym. After lifting I will eat it on the way home. As soon as I get home I drink a good protein shake and take some BCAA's if I have them on hand. I was told buy a pro bb to be careful with protein shakes since they are fast acting and can actually make you tired. He told me to eat a tb of pb with a shake to slow down the process. so the sandwich covers that, the jelly covers the sugar and then the protein is the final piece of the puzzle. I suffer from DOM's so the BCAA's really help there if I have them.

As for milk I stay away from it. Why? I work in a milk processing plant and I know hate dairy products. Thank God it's not a chicken processing plant or I would starve.
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Peanut butter post-workout sounds like a solid plan. For some reason your post made me think of all the chocolate milk I used to drink post-workout, and found myself wishing they would make "dark" chocolate milk. I think Dark Chocolate milk and peanut butter would be an ideal post-workout drink for me.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-15-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
moore_716
moore_716
has no status.
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17 Points: 1,016, Level: 17
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Confused
moore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammermoore_716 is either a troll or a spammer

It seems like I live off of peanut Butter anymore. If no jelly I make pb & honey with apple slices.
moore_716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
titanxvx
titanxvx
has no status.
New Brawn

My Mood: Brooding
titanxvx is off to a bad start
Default milk vs just whey

I read a report on milk vs whey about 6 months ago. It was an independent study that took 120 men in their 20's of moderate fitness. Muscle mass, body fat and fitness levels were measured at the beginning of the study. Half of the group ingested just whey protein post work out while the other half drank 2% milk. Both groups ingested the same ratio grams of protein by body weight. Both groups had the exact same work out regimen. After one year they found the group that had consumed the milk were fitter with avg 12% less body fat and avg 20% more muscle mass. They hypothesized that since whey is predigested it passes directly into the system. Good for the short term as amino acids in the blood spike then fall quickly. But when milk was consumed the amino acids in the blood rose and stayed there longer and being available to the damaged tissue over a longer period resulting in more efficient repair.
I tried to find that article but I had already tossed the magazine. It went into greater detail then what I could remember here.

A pro-biotic containing acidophilus should help with digestion if having problem digesting milk.

Personally, I usually have a protein shake using 1% milk with Muscle milk protein powder blended with some fruit. But that not always being possible I'll ingest whatever type of protein I can get my hands on at the time. With soy being avoided as much as possible.
titanxvx is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #16
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
My slant...my post-workout is usually a small glass of milk with protein powder and something sweet like a Pop Tart or small sweet treat. Why? Because that's what I crave. For years I drank a massive container of chocolate milk post-workout.
Rule number 1: Listen to your body.

Rule number 2: See Rule number 1.

Hey, you said that to me, now I say it back to you. Listen to your body. It tells you what it NEEDS by it's cravings. It sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page. My preferred post workout nutrition is 1 quart Gatorade (the powdered stuff) and two scoops chocolate ON whey. But I have also been known to stop by the gas station on my way home and get a quart of chocolate milk and a glazed donut. As to chocolate milk, no science, but a friend of mine on another board went to the Arnold or Olympia or something a couple of years ago and there was a booth at the expo giving out little jugs of chocolate milk. I think it has something to do with a nearly perfect ratio of protien and carbs.

Listen to your body. I like to get something liquid in right away, then eat fairly substantially about an hour later.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #17
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

I DO NOT STAND FOR LACTOSE INTOLERANCE! Signed BODY BY GAMMA MILK!!!! lol
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #18
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanxvx View Post
I read a report... After one year they found the group that had consumed the milk were fitter with avg 12% less body fat and avg 20% more muscle mass.
I have to admit, I'm so cynical that when I started reading this post, I was sure it was going to end with whey protein being the king and providing 79% more muscle.

You made my morning.

...if you ever find that study, I want to post it here and sticky it. Not because I'm a milk peddler, but because it's a victory for common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Valsalva

As to chocolate milk, no science, but a friend of mine on another board went to the Arnold or Olympia or something a couple of years ago and there was a booth at the expo giving out little jugs of chocolate milk. I think it has something to do with a nearly perfect ratio of protien and carbs.
The nectar of the gods. I would like to see a study on chocolate milk, with all its "evil" sugar vs. the best post-workout supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyby Gamma

I DO NOT STAND FOR LACTOSE INTOLERANCE! Signed BODY BY GAMMA MILK!!!! lol
I am mildly lactose intolerant yet I consume milk. It just gives me extra farts, which is always welcome. Farts entertain my children. They are cheaper then a new Nintendo Wii game.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

It is rumored that Sergio Oliva used to eat a whole pizza and 32 oz of Coca-Cola post workout.

I seem to be sensing some varied randomness in responses here. This all leads me to believe there exists some obsessive/compulsive behavior, and that there is no magic formula. After an intense workout, your body needs some refueling. Feed it. If you're in the closing stages of contest prep, be a little more selective.

I think there was a study on chocolate milk, but it was posted on another forum, which unfortunately no longer exists. I'll search.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
It is rumored that Sergio Oliva used to eat a whole pizza and 32 oz of Coca-Cola post workout.

I seem to be sensing some varied randomness in responses here. This all leads me to believe there exists some obsessive/compulsive behavior, and that there is no magic formula. After an intense workout, your body needs some refueling. Feed it. If you're in the closing stages of contest prep, be a little more selective.

I think there was a study on chocolate milk, but it was posted on another forum, which unfortunately no longer exists. I'll search.
I never knew I ate just like Sergio Oliva!!! Great post!
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook