Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
crashed
crashed
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

crashed is off to a bad start
Default I find I am hurting myself

Okay so I quit lifting for a while but now am back. But I find that I am injuring myself way more than what I have ever been before. Do you feel that this is common for those who take a break from lifting and then come back and why?
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Jen
Jen
wants a 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
My Mood: Relaxed
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Maybe you should do very light weights and work on form.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 10,231, Level: 67 Points: 10,231, Level: 67 Points: 10,231, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Form is usually the main reason why we injury our selves, like Jen said start light on the big 3 and video tape those is you can; and put it on youtube. This will allow us to make suggestions on what is wrong; it will also help you to see where you are struggling.
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Maybe you should do very light weights and work on form.
Yep; people that have done weights and then restart after a break tend to think they can jump straight back in without conditioning/prepping the body for it liek a newcomer or beginner has to, big mistake.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Okay so I quit lifting for a while but now am back. But I find that I am injuring myself way more than what I have ever been before. Do you feel that this is common for those who take a break from lifting and then come back and why?
Sometimes when you seek advice you need to be more specific or detailed in your question or questions. When you say you are injuring yourself what do you mean and what body parts are you referring to? The reason I ask this is due to the fact that an injury can be defined in many different ways: A tear in a muscle, tendon, or joint area for example. It can be without a tear or physical injury, but you have direct and indirect pain in an area, or in some cases believing to be injured, when its simply DOMS.

Personally, I do not (pointing to the averages) believe an injury when starting over is common, but more common with ones who are more consistent with training. What I think is more common, is that when a person starts again after a period of lay off, their motivation tends to be (high), and they may tend to develop a program that is a bit too much, and they tend to be real sore within 24 to 48 hours from the last workout session. And, it is possible they "may" mistake this as an injury, when its the body reacting to activity (in this case) it normally does not do.

Have a great day today, and peace and happiness to you and your family,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Jesda
Jesda
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

Maybe you are taking it too fast since you have once done it you think that you should be able to start where you left off. This is not the case. Do light weights and concentrate on what you are doing and then you will get better at it.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
tonpaulerc
tonpaulerc
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good start

Slow down. You may think that you can work to where you were before but the truth of the matter is that you took a break and your body may not be able to handle now what you were once used to. Slowly build up to what you were doing.
tonpaulerc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

When I pulled a muscle in my abodominal wall squatting 465 for a 3rd rep at 231lbs you know what I did right after I made sure I had no visble pops? I did my bench press with my feet on the bench because it hurt to keep my feet down. Then I did assistance work for pressing since I knew it would be a while before I squatted or deadlifted heavy again. Don't ever quit what you are doing, that is why you keep getting hurt. You don't take time to develop the proper muscles, forms or tendons.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49 Points: 5,943, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Very time I get injured it's from not warming up correctly. As I get older this becomes much more important.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook