Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

"I really believe attitude monitors talent. You have to take what you want. There has to be a certain amount of killer instinct present. You can't take no-grow for an answer. This strategy can be applied in any venture."

"Some people like to live without too much risk. They're satisfied leading a safe existence. This attitude of caution infiltrates into their goals. Every successful athlete - or businessperson - enjoys taking calculated risks. You have to. Especially in the gym when you're squatting 500 for reps and you can't get one more but grunt out ten. Your nose starts bleeding, you fall into the rack and that's set one."

"I have thought about training sessions weeks in advance. For instance, if a big squat workout is scheduled for the middle of next month, I am aware of it as the days pass by. One-week prior I'll make sure not to walk too much or engage in any unnecessary activity. I used to plan my classes in college with minimum walking distance between them."

"After being taught sets and reps and working at it for a length of time you can't paint by numbers anymore. It must come from within. Any artist has an emotional contact with their work. A true bodybuilder doesn't just build muscle he creates muscle. You can't be a robot."

"The first thought that comes to mind when the sets become tough is that I cannot lose. I refuse to lose and be a failure. It's much more desirable to leave the gym saying, "I won!"

"It's not a competition between you and someone else. You may not do your best and still win. But when you are competing with yourself you have to beat your own record. When I was in my twenties I didn't think about it much, but when I was in my mid-thirties I came to realize my own mortality. Let me explain. In my twenties, after doing more reps than I had planned on a set of squats, I'd fall to the floor and cover my eyes. The light hurt them and it felt like there was someone stabbing knives into my legs. There was always severe oxygen debt, but I was confident I'd "come back". In my thirties I'd lie on the floor sometimes and think, "God damn! What if I don't come back?"

"Looking back, I do believe my drive to achieve this over-the-top intensity was, in a way, self-abusive. I wasn't out to kill myself. But when you're training that hard there is a certain amount of self-abuse. Normal people don't have to go through that. You don't drive a normal car excessively hard. A funny car, however, is pushed for all its worth to achieve every last bit of performance. But we learn a lot about our everyday cars from the drag strip. In the same way, we gain knowledge about the human body from pro athletes. Not everyone is psychologically able to be a pro athlete."

"I wasn't the biggest bodybuilder. There's no denying that I had some freaky body parts. But ultimately I think it was most important to me to relay the energy I found in the gym to those in the audience. Through my posing I wanted to change or add to the way people think about the gym experience."

"Arnold used to enjoy my intensity. He'd comment on the amount of energy I'd conjure up. But I played off the other people, too"

"When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent."

"I used to like putting a little space between plates on the bar. They'd jingle when I came up out of a squat, making a deep-throated roar. The old 45s were the best. The sound would pass through my spine and ears. It was like a car engine revving up. It would help me time my movement. A cue to go down for the next rep."

"Six-hundred pounds (on squats) became a moderate-rep weight. One month before the '84 Olympia I did 635 for 12 reps."

"In 1993, I was just playing around with heavy weights. What we'd (him and Fred Hatfield) do is put over a grand on the bar, take it off the rack and just hold it for a count of ten or twenty. It's a great idea, but my spine couldn't handle it."

"In the process of training I'd find the exact moment of maximum tension within the muscle group and exploit it. I did what I did instinctually, and now scientific data backs it as a viable way to make muscle hypertrophy."

"I was built to squat."

"I don't believe in luck. Luck comes to men of action."

"The only aspect of my (bodybuilding) career I would change if I could would be to have calmed down a little in the off-season. I was just so enthusiastic."

"Sometimes your strongest attribute becomes an obstacle. The fact that you can focus and concentrate and nail something usually means you become very good at doing one thing at a time. The problem I've encountered is that I sometimes focus so much on one thing that I will forget everything else."

"The psychological tools I've gained from bodybuilding will never atrophy."

TOM PLATZ'S PRO CONTEST HISTORY

1979 Mr. Olympia: 8th (under 200 pounds)
1980 Grand Prix: Lafayette, Louisiana 9th
1980 Grand Prix: Pittsburgh 10th
1980 Night Of Champions: 14th
1980 Mr. Olympia: 9th
1980 Pro Mr. Universe: 2nd
1981 Mr. Olympia: 3rd
1982 Mr. Olympia: 6th
1984 Mr. Olympia: 10th
1985 Mr. Olympia: 7th
1986 Mr. Olympia: 11th
1987 Grand Prix: Detroit 6th

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
miked96
miked96
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,858, Level: 74 Points: 12,858, Level: 74 Points: 12,858, Level: 74
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

My Mood: Relaxed
miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

He was also very flexible and devoted alot of time to stretching before he trained. I wish I could clearly remeber why but it had something to do with the golgi tendon reflex. Legs that big and also that flexible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tom stretch.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	11864  
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100 Points: 1,505,783, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

John Meadows trains with Tom, shares his thoughts:

Quote:
Tom's favorite exercise is obviously squats, but he also really likes tbar rows, and man did we do a lot of them.....we did sets of 30, then 40, then 50...all with forced reps. My back was screaming. On the last set my whole body was screaming.

We went to the Firehouse for breakfast and talked all morning. It was awesome. Tom is incredibly intelligent (has much scientific knowledge)...but we always came back to what is going to make you YOUR best is passion. Many people preach it...but he lived it. There was a great example of this when we were doing the rows today. As I sat there dying, he said "now John that was good, you prolly gave 95% of what you have....I know you have 5% more, so let's get it next set". Can you imagine how fired up that made me? I had just killed myself, but his standard for intensity is just on a whole nother level. This is what I expect from myself....

We talked about cardio - he is not a fan..

Talked about how in the 70's he did low fat diets that were torturous, but looked better when he included some fats and reduced cardio..

He has no ill feeling about the 83 Olympia which he obviously should have won. He was thrilled because that show catapaulted him to a new level of popularity.
Quote:
Tom talked to me a lot about the psychological piece of bodybuilding today. We got into actin and myosin crossbridging and other stuff which was very cool too. Amazing how well rounded he is knowledge wise.

The coolest thing to me, was when we talked about having "it". The ability and love for being able to take sets to another level. It was interesting as Tom has been around a lot of wealthy people who want to buy it..pay for some training thinking that what he has internally will just transfer over...but the reality is much of this has to be born with.

We trained chest, and he set up the Smith machine on a slight incline...HA...you guys know I love that too!.....so we did sets of 30 or so with a medium grip, elbows pretty tucked in, letting the bar touch right below nipple. My chest was screaming at 15-20 but he always forced me to do another 5 reps or so and then another 5 or so partials. We kept going up in weight keeping this pattern until I got to a weight that I could only do for 4 reps (and then the forced and partials - and an isohold for good measure.

We also talked a lot of manipulating frequency, intensity, and volume. I am going to write more on that later, but he wants me to do less movements, but find PERFECT movements that allow me to really drive the car into the red zone. Milk the movements with extremely high intensity levels...rest the part until it's ready to go, however long that may be, then do it again. He like me is really a believer in tweaking certain exercises certain ways, and not just doing everything the way it's wrote up in text books.

I took some pics but the was no angle in the gym to not show a glare so will get some more tomorrow. We trained at Long Beack metroflex btw, what a freaking AWESOME gym. This is the gym where CT Fletcher trains with all the graffiti on the walls with the music blasting...really really awesome gym....reminded me so much of EliteFTS.
Quote:
Tom was a believer in stretching.....but he used that time more to focus and visualize.....he is still REALLY flexible...he was stretching out before we squatted and doing the same crazy stretches he used to do...Although he stretches, we wasn't really pushing the stretch hard. It seemed like he is just that flexible. In fact he mentioned to not stretch too hard or it would be counter productive.

Like I said earlier, he loved my squat form. I was REALLY happy to hear that....

He definitely likes 4 movements for legs for the most part..hack squats...squats, leg curls, and leg extensions. He didn't seem like he had anything against leg presses or other movements, he just felt like those 4 movements gave him everything he needed. He didn't care for Safety bar squats much or front squats. The SSB didn't allow him into his natural groove, and the front squat limitation of being able to hold onto the weight without shoulders getting tired were just too distracting.

One of the high intensity techniques we did, I have on video. I just need to upload them tonight. I want you guys to see how we do a lot of reps, and then we do the isoholds with added tension. In 3 or 4 minutes time you can go to an extremely pumped state..it's awesome...we used this technique on chest, and also arms, in addition to legs. So for all you clients of mine out there, my newest program will be incorporating this!!!

We spent a lot of time talking about the "old days"....due to me asking..I just love the history stuff. He was telling me how many different guys trained..which ones trained hard and which ones didn't really do much. The trend was the west coast guys typically didn't squat or go balls out, but all the east coast guys who came out there trained really hard. it was interesting...

He really looked up to Dave Draper too. Dave was really shy, didn't really like the limelight at all..told me some cool stories about him.

He was also influenced some by Robby Robinson with his posing style....sort of bringing people in with a certain style, then hammering posed that compliment your physique..sort of building up to a grand finale where you hit your signature pose and the crowd goes nuts. It was really awesome discussion.

Tom was also influenced training wise by Mentzer and Arnold. He didn't like either style exclusively, so he combined the two, added in his one stuff....made it his own, and perfected it. he said he could go about 6 to 8 weeks really hard and nsane, and then would have to back it down for a few weeks.
Quote:
old days - told me a million stories..here's a simple one.

He was from the east coast (jersey then went to Michigan and trained there before going to California). When he got out to California, people didn't squat out there. They all thought he was out of his mind. He had some training partners out east he said that could bury him squatting..said those guys were the most intense he ever trained with, but nobody knew them as they didn't compete.

Anyways, people saw his legs growing, and then all of a sudden everybody was "trying to squat". he really liked how Casey Viator trained too...said he was an animal...just really intense...

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #24
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
rippednmichigan
rippednmichigan
robert@flexfitnessandnutrition.com
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
My Mood: Daring
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

He has some of the best quads in the biz EVER!
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook