Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Default Weightlifter Igor Golushkin Drops 400 Pounds on His Chest, Dies

courtesy of

A few weeks ago, back when the 2012 London Olympics were still going strong, German weightlifter Matthias Steiner accidentally dropped over 400 pounds on his neck. It was terrifying, obviously, but because Steiner walked away relatively unscathed, the incident didn’t really leave an impression.

What happened last week to Russian weightlifter Igor Golushkin will definitely leave an impression.

Golushkin, 34, was competing in a powerlifting competition when, for whatever reason, the bar slipped out of his hands and dropped straight onto his chest.

As reported by Red Hot Russia (via The Big Lead):

According to eyewitness, the sportsman used unsafe (banned) technique called “open grip” [ed: possibly related to the position of thumb while holding the bar]. Already during the training session he had the weight of 160 kg slipping from his hands, but then spotters managed to hold the bar.

During the competition, however, the spotters did not succeed to catch the bar in time. Everything happened very quickly. With the torn diaphragm and broken ribs the sportsman was brought to hospital.

The injury appeared to be fatal. Igor died in hospital from heart concussion.

Here is the video (warning: it’s obviously very disturbing):

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 09-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Bad things happen fast.
Thanks for posting RK.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

In the video, he isn't false grip, you can clearly see his thumb is wrapped around the bar.

As disturbing as the drop was, it is even more disturbing to see how unprepared the spotters were for something like that. The one on the left wasn't even prepared for a mistake. It is such a shame that he lost his life, prayers go out to his family. I hope this sheds some light on how important spotters are for these attempts, and it pushes home that they need to be trained to be able to spot.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
In the video, he isn't false grip, you can clearly see his thumb is wrapped around the bar.

As disturbing as the drop was, it is even more disturbing to see how unprepared the spotters were for something like that. The one on the left wasn't even prepared for a mistake. It is such a shame that he lost his life, prayers go out to his family. I hope this sheds some light on how important spotters are for these attempts, and it pushes home that they need to be trained to be able to spot.
Indeed.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
themaster2981
themaster2981
wants 200 lbs bench
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
My Mood: Angelic
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

The helpers on the side could have done more IMO.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Mr.Silverback
Mr.Silverback
focused on Nationals
Max Brawn
Points: 12,978, Level: 74 Points: 12,978, Level: 74 Points: 12,978, Level: 74
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
My Mood: Daring
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

The spotter in the red shirt was too relaxed! I've seen this happen in the gym and I don't play around with spotting, I always try to be as focused as possible because I would want the same attention in return

Silverback Barbell
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

That red-shirt spotter should get a beat down for being so, meh, during such a big lift. He wasn't even close to the bar. The other spotter was at least semi-prepped, but he still didn't look ready to catch the bar.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 10,171, Level: 67 Points: 10,171, Level: 67 Points: 10,171, Level: 67
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

It's a shame, how some spotters arn't really spotting. Prayers goes out to his Famliy and friends; I hope that they get more serious spotters out, since this happened
Dead Lift:455/500/?

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!! Completed Nov 16th 2014

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
themaster2981
themaster2981
wants 200 lbs bench
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
My Mood: Angelic
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Friends, please take this as a lesson, spot with attention and of course lift carefully.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I've wondered, more than once, why it is that safety bars along with spotters cannot be employed in the bench, even for comps; after all, the person arches which means they raise the chest, so if a barbell came crashing down, the chest would sink below the safety bars anyway...less room for potential error; people use safety bars at home but still touch to chest, as far as I know.

So, why not?

Otherwise, you have a severe case of neglect where the spotters are concerned, sicne they are there for the purpose of safety and have to be relied upon; even more so a case in point, if they are chosen and employed by someone other than the lifter themselves.

Just my view; could I put so much trust in someone I did not know, especially if my life was at stake...I highly doubt it. I realise these are normally "freak", once in a blue moon, type accidents, but they do happen and it won't be the last time it does so.

Share with Facebook