Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
henryh
henryh
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

henryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality postshenryh has made some quality posts
Default Nervous breakdowns

I just feel right now that I am having a nervous breakdown. I am breathing heavy and just feel like I am being suffocated. I am not sleeping right and just feel like I could crack at any minute. I just feel awful. Have you ever felt like this before and what did you do about it?
henryh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

sit in a dark room with ear muffs on and just concentrate on your breath
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Jesda
Jesda
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

Talk to someone about it. Maybe this post helped you, hopefully it did. Otherwise maybe see a doc for some good strong advice.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 14,431, Level: 77 Points: 14,431, Level: 77 Points: 14,431, Level: 77
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Headbutted a hole in the wall of my office. Then put a poster of the Oracle database structure over it.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,887, Level: 100 Points: 128,887, Level: 100 Points: 128,887, Level: 100
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Dude, that's a horrible place to be in.

Here's what I would do:

1. In the short term, do some gentle exercise. Get out of the house, go for a walk, drive, occupy yourself in any way that provides a distraction from any issues.

2. As soon as possible, see the doc. There may be a physiological cause for your feelings - hyperthyroidism, for example. If there's no physical cause, he may suggest anti-anxiety drugs, but perhaps psychological methods are an alternative.

3. Think about seeing a therapist, if you can afford it, especially a CBT therapist. If there's no underlying physical issue, a good CBT therapist will (a) give you simple techniques for reducing your physical symptoms, like breathing and relaxation exercises (b) start working through the problems causing the anxiety, such as giving you alternative ways of framing problems.

If you can't afford a therapist - and many would expect to see improvement after say 8-10 sessions - think about reading up on stress, anxiety and how to cope with it.

Looking at your other thread, if family problems are one key cause of anxiety, in a way that's quite hopeful. Your reaction to their behaviour is to some extent something that you can alter and even control.

Good luck with it.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
lzaar
lzaar
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4

lzaar is off to a good startlzaar is off to a good startlzaar is off to a good start

I once punched my hand into my other hand so hard that I broke it. Was not the right thing to do but at the time it felt right.
lzaar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I'm kinda feeling like I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm goinng to phone this week for an appointment. Good luck to you, henryh. We can get through this.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
ffemtny
ffemtny
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

I'm not one to offer medical advice but definitely see a doc asap. so you can explore some treatment options as noted by others. Not a big fan of suffering needlessly. If it's situational try to deal with the situation in a positive manner. I'm a big fan of the saying that you can't change the world but you can change the way you deal with it. That and be careful of those who waste your time and energy.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
bencher
bencher
has no status.
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1

bencher is off to a bad start

Have you made an apt. yet? If not then do so. I really feel that you need to see a doc. We can all tell you what to do but this is the best advice really.
bencher is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
angie828
angie828
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

Take a few deep breaths, and then go to the doc. Get to the root of the source that is making you have your troubles.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook