Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
babboon
babboon
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 807, Level: 15 Points: 807, Level: 15 Points: 807, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

babboon has made some quality postsbabboon has made some quality postsbabboon has made some quality postsbabboon has made some quality postsbabboon has made some quality postsbabboon has made some quality posts
Default Calories

I read that you should eat no more than 12 X your body weight in calories if you are a body builder. Is this correct information?
babboon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babboon View Post
I read that you should eat no more than 12 X your body weight in calories if you are a body builder. Is this correct information?

Do you mean such as 200 lbs x 12...if so, no, that's too simple and doesn't work.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babboon View Post
No. For most people who aren't 250 pounds or more that's probably not enough calories.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-26-2012 at 10:46 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,052, Level: 96 Points: 26,052, Level: 96 Points: 26,052, Level: 96
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

That number is sometimes used to figure a starting point when trying to figure out how many calories you need to cut or gain. It is meant to be a starting point in the figuring, usually low for gaining and a bit high for cutting, unless you are, as Steve pointed out, already pretty big.

12*188 (my BW) puts me below my maintenance level, but does give me a starting point for figuring that level out. None of the formulas are 100% accurate, though some come closer than others. The best way is to get a starting point (use 12*BW if that turns your crank) and then log meticulously for two weeks. If you lose weight, add calories, if you gain weight, subtract until you find the level where you neither lose or gain. From that point you plan your cut or mass attack. It takes a little longer, but is far more accurate than using a paper formula.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook