Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
70sBB
70sBB
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts
Default 20 rep squats

Any of you ever use 20 rep squats? How long did you run them and what weight did you start with? Also and pros/cons compared to lower rep sets and did you perform more than one set of them per workout?
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I began my workout life, many years ago, with a 20 rep squat routine. My first workout I used an empty bar, added 10 lbs to the bar every session, and after two cycles (about a year) I was using 300 lbs for all 20 reps. Looking back, those reps were probably a mile high and my form was pretty ugly, but I gained a TON of size and strength from doing them along with some big eating. I eventually got 350 lbs for all 20 reps, but my depth was probably still not that good. Since then I've worked up to 300 lbs with proper depth (using a 14" box).

I am currently working on them again with a goal of hitting that PR of 350 lbs (with good depth this time) and hopefully on up to 400 lbs. That might be wishful thinking but it doesn't matter, the journey is what counts. They are fun to start with, then become really tough, and end up being a fight for life. They build real toughness and everything else in the gym just seems like child's play in comparisson.

If you've never done them, you owe it to yourself to run at least one cycle and really work hard. You will discover a lot about what you're made of inside and if you eat accordingly you'll put on a good amount of size; there is probably no better mass gaining routine out there except maybe the craziness of the 20 rep deadlift routine, which I was also stupid enough to try.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
70sBB
70sBB
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I began my workout life, many years ago, with a 20 rep squat routine. My first workout I used an empty bar, added 10 lbs to the bar every session, and after two cycles (about a year) I was using 300 lbs for all 20 reps. Looking back, those reps were probably a mile high and my form was pretty ugly, but I gained a TON of size and strength from doing them along with some big eating. I eventually got 350 lbs for all 20 reps, but my depth was probably still not that good. Since then I've worked up to 300 lbs with proper depth (using a 14" box).

I am currently working on them again with a goal of hitting that PR of 350 lbs (with good depth this time) and hopefully on up to 400 lbs. That might be wishful thinking but it doesn't matter, the journey is what counts. They are fun to start with, then become really tough, and end up being a fight for life. They build real toughness and everything else in the gym just seems like child's play in comparisson.

If you've never done them, you owe it to yourself to run at least one cycle and really work hard. You will discover a lot about what you're made of inside and if you eat accordingly you'll put on a good amount of size; there is probably no better mass gaining routine out there except maybe the craziness of the 20 rep deadlift routine, which I was also stupid enough to try.
I can't begin to imagine 350 for 20 reps. Can you give me an idea how you ate?
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Vlad
Vlad
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Vlad is off to a good startVlad is off to a good startVlad is off to a good start

Off road, how many days a week did you perform them?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sBB View Post
Can you give me an idea how you ate?
I ate a LOT. They will make you very hungry, so go ahead and eat until you feel better. If they aren't making you really hungry, keep adding weight, they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Off road, how many days a week did you perform them?
I did them on Mon, then Fri, and then on Wed. It was a push/pull split that had me doing them 3 times in two weeks.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook