Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Milk and milk products are an annoyance to me; I love milk, and would like nothing more than to have an ice-cold chocolate milkshake, or a hot milky chocolate drink, lots of cheese etc...but, unfortunately, I can only tolerate so much before I have physical problems display themsleves...so, I have a little and that is very little and then back-off it for a few months...when I have milk, I make sure I thoroughly enjoy it though

It makes me wonder whether raw milk would be better for me; I also wonder if people that are more lactose tolerant were breast-fed.

Hubby was breast-fed as a child and then drank raw milk (still warm) on a farm whilst growing up since they had access to all the milk they wanted as part of the family's payment; he drinks milk with no issues at all. Neither pasturised nor raw caused him any issues.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Milk and milk products are an annoyance to me; I love milk, and would like nothing more than to have an ice-cold chocolate milkshake, or a hot milky chocolate drink, lots of cheese etc...but, unfortunately, I can only tolerate so much before I have physical problems display themsleves...so, I have a little and that is very little and then back-off it for a few months...when I have milk, I make sure I thoroughly enjoy it though

It makes me wonder whether raw milk would be better for me; I also wonder if people that are more lactose tolerant were breast-fed.

Hubby was breast-fed as a child and then drank raw milk (still warm) on a farm whilst growing up since they had access to all the milk they wanted as part of the family's payment; he drinks milk with no issues at all. Neither pasturised nor raw caused him any issues.
Ever try fermented milk products like natural yogurt? Apparently those are easier for some who react badly to regular milk.

Lactose intolerance is mostly genetic, as far as I know.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
Ever try fermented milk products like natural yogurt? Apparently those are easier for some who react badly to regular milk.

Lactose intolerance is mostly genetic, as far as I know.
Yeah, I can only eat a certain amount of yoghurt as well; however, my neice is allergic to milk and cannot even have it near her skin, and I wouldn't be surprised if milk issues also run in the family but not quite as severe as hers...with my sister also having issues with tolerance to milk.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
Kyle Aaron
Kyle Aaron
has no status.
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,783, Level: 44 Points: 4,783, Level: 44 Points: 4,783, Level: 44
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
My Mood: Relaxed
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

I'll bet Gren Elmore drank his milk.

The other day at my gym another trainer expressed disgust that I was downing a litre of whole milk during my workout. Later I found a young woman doing barbell quarter-squats with the pad on, and I coached her to proper squats, it turned out this other guy had previously trained her for three years and never taught her how to squat properly.

He prefers protein powder in water, saying that milk being pasteurised "isn't natural." I am not sure how pasteurising milk is less "natural" than pasteurising it, dehydrating it, and microfiltering it to remove the lactose and fats, but there you go.

Also the fats, he says, are bad for you. But since he cannot deadlift half of what an 83 year old man has managed, I am sceptical.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yeah, I can only eat a certain amount of yoghurt as well; however, my neice is allergic to milk and cannot even have it near her skin, and I wouldn't be surprised if milk issues also run in the family but not quite as severe as hers...with my sister also having issues with tolerance to milk.
Wow, that's quite severe.

My only food allergy that I am aware of is to the bacteria culture in Bleu cheese. I used to love the stuff, but now it's no good for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
I'll bet Gren Elmore drank his milk.

The other day at my gym another trainer expressed disgust that I was downing a litre of whole milk during my workout. Later I found a young woman doing barbell quarter-squats with the pad on, and I coached her to proper squats, it turned out this other guy had previously trained her for three years and never taught her how to squat properly.

He prefers protein powder in water, saying that milk being pasteurised "isn't natural." I am not sure how pasteurising milk is less "natural" than pasteurising it, dehydrating it, and microfiltering it to remove the lactose and fats, but there you go.

Also the fats, he says, are bad for you. But since he cannot deadlift half of what an 83 year old man has managed, I am sceptical.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of whey. I don't think I could drink that much milk during my lifting, but certainly afterward...

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

My thoughts. I suspect a lot of people who claim to have lactose intolerance simply have lowered production enzymes that process lactose. I'm sure the body has the ability to do this. Their non consumption leads to less production so that when they do ingest it overwhelms their digestive abilities. I bet using a periodization program for milk consumption would allow their systems time to develop more enzymes and therefore less intolerance.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook