Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Shaneybear
Shaneybear
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 1,588, Level: 22 Points: 1,588, Level: 22 Points: 1,588, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deads.
Fav Supp: Whey, NO-xplode 2.0.
My Mood: Relaxed
Shaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good posts
Default Crying out for help!

Hey guys and gals,

So here it is, I'm 18 years old (and i know what you older guys are thinking "Oh not again some punk kid wanting to get big lalala) But i promise you i'm not one of those fratboys you see wondering around the gym. I've been lifting about 3 years and have put on a good amount of weight.

I love doing the low reps usually I go for 6 reps on most of my muscle groups and managed to get pretty far. For example a few months ago when it came to chest i was doing sets of 100kg Benchpress (225 for you Americans thinking in poundage) for 6 reps, 4 sets.

Then i descided i wanted to cut, as i've always just been bulk! I'm 6ft1" and was about 92kg, with this cut i've reached 87kg but it's come with a big loss...

Today i did chest, and could manage about 90kg for 6reps, 4sets.

Strength! It's gone, it's packed its bags and left. I'm fairly sure i havent lost much size, but with alot of the fat going, it's taken strength with it. And frankly, it's breaking my heart aha.

I'd love to hear some of your guys advise, as this is the first proper cut i've ever done. So please help a young lifter out!

Thanks, Shaney.
Shaneybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
RobMoriRB
RobMoriRB
training to get Elite
Max Brawn
Points: 9,880, Level: 66 Points: 9,880, Level: 66 Points: 9,880, Level: 66
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
My Mood: Cheerful
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

it happens...it takes time to regain the strength but its normal
Bench: 315(285)
C&J: 245(195)
Snatch 195(155)

Master Goal: Compete in 1 Lifting Sport!!!

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Firstly congrats on the weight loss! Sounded like you had your goal and saw it through, so that's good.

In regards to strength loss, it'll happen. Especially on the Bench. That's typically the first to go. I just did a cut myself and toward the end dropped a little on some Bench exercises.

The important thing is, don't fret it. Just maintain this bodyweight and the strength will return. So just keep at it.

Welcome to the forum and consider starting a training log. Best of luck.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneybear View Post
Hey guys and gals,
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
So here it is, I'm 18 years old (and i know what you older guys are thinking "Oh not again some punk kid wanting to get big lalala) But i promise you i'm not one of those fratboys you see wondering around the gym. I've been lifting about 3 years and have put on a good amount of weight.
We don't care about age, sex, goal or planet, Just results.

Quote:
I love doing the low reps usually I go for 6 reps on most of my muscle groups and managed to get pretty far. For example a few months ago when it came to chest i was doing sets of 100kg Benchpress (225 for you Americans thinking in poundage) for 6 reps, 4 sets.
Good level. Solid strength.

Quote:
Then i descided i wanted to cut, as i've always just been bulk! I'm 6ft1" and was about 92kg, with this cut i've reached 87kg but it's come with a big loss...

Today i did chest, and could manage about 90kg for 6reps, 4sets.
You lost 25 pounds of strength while losing "only" 12 pounds of bodyweight. Let's figure out if anything could have been improved.

So my questions are:

1) How long were you dieting to lose this?
2) How many cals did you eat each day during the cut?
3) How many grams of protein did you eat each day during the cut?
4) Did you change meal frequency during the cut?
5) Did you use the same weight training program during the cut, or did you change and go lighter/easier/different?

And most importantly:

5) What are your long term goals? To build muscle, look good (stay lean) and keep a fair amount of strength? Or other?

Once we get the answers to these questions, we can figure out if something is broken.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Shaneybear
Shaneybear
has no status.
New Brawn

Shaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good postsShaneybear has made some good posts

Thanks for all your responses, now in relation to your questions,

1/ I've been dieting about 10 weeks now, at the same time upping my cardio alot as well.
2/ i was probably eating around 1250 calls a day, max. I didn't really keep count of calls as such. I tried to cut down on carbs alot, especially after midday after my workout.
3/ i'd also upped my protein intake to about 200g of protein a day.
4/ Yep, also i started eating 5 smaller meals daily
5/ I went from my low reps usually 6 reps to around 10 -12.

and my goals, to lose a little bit more fat, to get to around 10% body fat, and then start building again, then getting to probably around 92kg but keeping my body fat at 10%... Well that's the goal, but i'm without a doubt dedicated and determined enough to get there, despite my age and inexperience! Which is why i appreciate any comments and help from you guys lifting for all those years.

Thanks again, Shaney

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,972, Level: 50 Points: 5,972, Level: 50 Points: 5,972, Level: 50
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

You lost 5Kg of bodyweight. I assume you have a low bf %, so most of that weightloss was lean muscle. That's where your strength went IMO. Are you concerned with weight or strength? That's the main question. Get bigger = get stronger.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Shaneybear
Shaneybear
has no status.
New Brawn

I lost 5kg of fat then, and then now i have a lowish body fat percentage, if i lost 5kg now it'd be mainly lean muscle. But like i mentioned before, i'm pretty sure i've retained alot of my size. I was thinking maybe the strength loss could be a result of a large drop in carbs? Kinda shocking the system a little bit there?

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,972, Level: 50 Points: 5,972, Level: 50 Points: 5,972, Level: 50
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

No way you lost 5Kg of weight and it was all fat. Anytime you lose weight, you will initially lose strength.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I would encourage you to keep a written food log. I have seen very few 18 year old males who eat 1250 calories, even when they are not concerned about their health. If you are spot on with that being your calorie total, that would explain much of your problem, you are under eating seriously.

Take the next two weeks and log everything, even liquids. I would have a hard time believing you are eating only 1250 and not losing muscle.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneybear View Post
Thanks for all your responses, now in relation to your questions,

1/ I've been dieting about 10 weeks now, at the same time upping my cardio alot as well.
2/ i was probably eating around 1250 calls a day, max. I didn't really keep count of calls as such. I tried to cut down on carbs alot, especially after midday after my workout.
3/ i'd also upped my protein intake to about 200g of protein a day.
4/ Yep, also i started eating 5 smaller meals daily
5/ I went from my low reps usually 6 reps to around 10 -12.

and my goals, to lose a little bit more fat, to get to around 10% body fat, and then start building again, then getting to probably around 92kg but keeping my body fat at 10%... Well that's the goal, but i'm without a doubt dedicated and determined enough to get there, despite my age and inexperience! Which is why i appreciate any comments and help from you guys lifting for all those years.

Thanks again, Shaney
Hi Shaney,

To improve results next time eat more. 1250 is way too few calories. This is starvation, and not healthy is any way. You should be able to lose fat on 2000-2500 depending on age, metabolism, etc. You were eating nearly half that.

Also, never change training styles when cutting. You want to continue to push hard and heavy.

Between these two suggestions you should lose far less strength next time you try cutting, or perhaps lose none at all.

It will come back quickly now should you're eating return to normal.

Let us know if we can help in any other way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook