Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Default Breathing Squats and Pullovers for Enlarging the Ribcage

I've read about the use of breathing squats and heavy pullovers for increasing the size of the chest and ribcage but always wondered if it actually worked. Thoughts, experiences, anecdotes?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I've read about the use of breathing squats and heavy pullovers for increasing the size of the chest and ribcage but always wondered if it actually worked. Thoughts, experiences, anecdotes?
Squats, no idea at all...with the pullovers though, they were used for that purpose by a lot of the oldtime lifters, that's not to say that it worked but I suppose due to the intense stretch felt during the move it could well have been a solid basis for a possibility of it increasing the chest and ribcage size. We read about static/loaded-passive stretching being used between sets to increase muscle size, these days, and to some degree it would fall under that because of the intense stretch under load that the chest inevitably recieves during the pullover.

For one thing, it would most definitely help with opening up the ribcage for better deeper breathing since it would stretch all the respiratory musculature.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Deep breathing, 20-rep breathing squats, posture exercises, etc

They worked for many old school lifters. The idea is to expand the ribcage by lengthening the surrounding tissue and allowing for a deeper lung capacity. This in turn increases vitality, endurance, and stability under load.

I've never done specific weight training with this in mind, but I always make sure to breathe deep between sets. I used to do a lot of breathing/ribcage exercises for posture when I had a really bad 'slump' and it worked like a charm.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I've ran the breathing squats and pull-overs routine several times in my life. I have a pretty deep chest, so it may have some validity. I can't say for sure, but given the oportunity I'd do it all over again.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Some interesting thoughts. One of the other things I wondered was if the benefits, supposing they are real, would carry on after bone growth had stopped. Been thinking about giving them a try, because who doesn't want a bigger upper body?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Some interesting thoughts. One of the other things I wondered was if the benefits, supposing they are real, would carry on after bone growth had stopped. Been thinking about giving them a try, because who doesn't want a bigger upper body?
I would imagine they would carry on after cessation of bone growth, because of the intercostal muscles etc, they must have some impact, if they grow, even if that's only slight expansion of the spaces between the ribs and such; though, I am only guessing here, since I'm no doctor or anything.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
John Grimek addressed that very point once, and stated that there were still many lifters who'd had success with it past the point of natural bone growth.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Ya, I was WAY past the point of bone growth when I started them.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook