Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Joe Weider Quote I Enjoy

Joe Weider Quote I Enjoy

Quote:
Since Weider defeated Bobby Hoffman in the battle of the bodybuilding mags, real lifting has taken a sorry backseat to the preening pussies you see waddling around commercial gyms every day,tanned and shaved, arms poking out at their sides, dressed like assholes and doing the dumbest shit ever. I actually saw a guy in Vienna, at the most hardcore gym there, huge as hell, wearing baggy sweatpants and a "Shut Up and Squat" shirt spend over an hour on the leg extension machine and leave. My legs, at 165 lbs, were clearly better than his. It was, to be blunt, a disgrace of epic proportions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I can't blame the man for making a living. However he has done as much harm as good.

A paradigm shift in our methods to the old classic approach is needed.

The Man said:

"The more you know about exercise, the less complicated the equipment you need." - Vince Gironda

"Barbells, dumbbells and a chinning bar. ...A lot of people think, "I've gotta have this and I've gotta have that," but that's all bullshit, quite frankly." - Reg Park

Arthur Jones himself wrote this little jewel ten years after he sold the Nautilus line of exercise machines for 23 million dollars (to the company that now sells Bowflex)...

"Apart from a rather limited number of hardcore bodybuilders who are misguided enough to believe that they have a chance to compete against the outright genetic freaks that now dominate bodybuilding competition, just about anybody else in this country can produce nearly all of the potential benefits of proper exercise without spending much if anything in excess of about twenty dollars. You can build both a chinning bar and a pair of parallel dip bars for a total cost of only a few dollars, and those two exercises, chins and dips, if properly performed, will stimulate muscular growth in your upper body and arms that will eventually lead to muscular size and strength that is very close to your potential.

Adding full squats, eventually leading up to one-legged full squats, and one-legged calf raises, will do much the same thing for your legs and hips. Using this very simple routine, when you get strong enough to perform about ten repetitions of one-armed chins with each arm, your arms will leave very little to be desired. Or, instead, you can do what many thousands of others are now doing and piss away thousands of dollars and years of largely wasted effort while producing far less results. The choice is yours. One of the best pair of arms that I ever saw on a man belonged to a guy that I knew about fifty years ago in New York, and he never performed any sort of exercise apart from chins and dips, and damned few of them." - Arthur Jones in 1996
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Great quotes, and right on the mark. I think if some younger trainees saw my equipment, they would shat themselves in disbelief.

Squat rack...bench...free weights up the wazoo...and a T-bar station.

Even the T-bar station has become obsolete for me. I used to have brutal elbow tendinitis and couldn't do barbell rows without feeling like my flesh was ripping from the bone. Heavy deadlifts cured that for some reason.

I think I can easily come off as a guy that hates machines and isolation movements. It's not so much that I "hate them", it's just that once I do what I feel are the necessities, I don't have time for them.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook