Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientistOfMaB View Post
Should you always pause when training bench or does touch and go have its benefits? Should you train without arch or should you always/normally train like its a meet?
As far as the second part, not having your biggest arch and being a little unstable, with submaximal weight, will get you stronger. Thats why several like the floor press for an assistance movement.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
CountryFriedMuscle
CountryFriedMuscle
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,751, Level: 24 Points: 1,751, Level: 24 Points: 1,751, Level: 24
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

I am hardly a good bencher, but what i have found helps me the most is a combination of two things: volume and pauses.

When I train my bench press, I pause every single rep of every set, no questions asked. Often on lighter/earlier sets, I will pause for several seconds; same with backoff sets. I think if you are going to be forced to pause in competition, might as well get comfortable down there.

I also am a big fan of volume for pressing movements, I believe they respond quite well to it. Look at what was common in the 70's. Guys would bench, and then just do a bunch of rep sets with different grips (close grip, wide grip, etc).
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,137, Level: 100 Points: 34,137, Level: 100 Points: 34,137, Level: 100
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFriedMuscle View Post
I am hardly a good bencher, but what i have found helps me the most is a combination of two things: volume and pauses.

When I train my bench press, I pause every single rep of every set, no questions asked. Often on lighter/earlier sets, I will pause for several seconds; same with backoff sets. I think if you are going to be forced to pause in competition, might as well get comfortable down there.

I also am a big fan of volume for pressing movements, I believe they respond quite well to it. Look at what was common in the 70's. Guys would bench, and then just do a bunch of rep sets with different grips (close grip, wide grip, etc).

I agree, reps and pauses does the trick. Recently incorporated 2-3 backoff sets with a long paus - 5s or so and its great. Time with the weight in your hands increase quite aloy if you bench a set of 5 with 5s paus ;-)

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,589, Level: 68 Points: 10,589, Level: 68 Points: 10,589, Level: 68
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Get your form checked. If you have crap form and you progress with it, you are building crap on top of crap, then what do you have?

Yes crap.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
DanLuckett
DanLuckett
road to 1850 total
Brawn
Points: 1,629, Level: 23 Points: 1,629, Level: 23 Points: 1,629, Level: 23
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 3 years - 2 competitively
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: MHP Macrobolic MRP
My Mood: Cheerful
DanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good postsDanLuckett has made some good posts

Hi guys, The bench is my favorite lift although I am naturally crap at it. Until I found the Russian and Eastern block way of training. The principles are simply train it 3-4 times per week, with lots of sets and reps between 2-6 and weights between 75-85% with minimum amount of assistance than necessary. When I changed to this way of training my bench went from 175kg/385lbs to 192.5kg/425lbs in the space of 6 weeks. Hope that helps
DanLuckett is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook