Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
lowery
lowery
lifting today
New Brawn
Points: 687, Level: 13 Points: 687, Level: 13 Points: 687, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Optimum Nutrition Whey
My Mood: Mellow
lowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good posts
Default Advise and help.

Hello everyone. Iím still new here on this forum and I have a question about the things I should be doing or the things I shouldnít be doing to gain muscle. First I want to start off and give my weight and height. Iím 5í-8 and 150lbs (68kg). I recently lost around 35 pounds. I want to gain muscle but I donít think that I am going about it the right way. I eat around 1500-1800 calories a day and have done so for the last 3 years and I have a clean diet. I only drink water and green tea. I take in around 125-150 grams of protein a day. I train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 3 days a week for 2 hours each of those daysÖcrazy cardio. I lift 3-4 days a week. I donít do BJJ the same days I lift. I recently have been doing 5 sets x 6 reps. I stay at a weight that I can keep good form but heavy enough that I feel it towards the end. I havenít seen that much change as far as muscle growth. I look more lean and tone but the growth just doesnít seem there. I take creatine monohydrate, BCAA and 50grams of Whey protein after each gym visit. Daily I take krill oil, astaxanthin and a multi vitamin. Any suggestions on what I should do or could do to help muscle gain? Thanks
lowery is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Bump up your food intake and make sure you lift a little more weight each time you go in the gym. Good luck.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,903, Level: 91 Points: 20,903, Level: 91 Points: 20,903, Level: 91
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Is the 120-150 grams of protein per day counting the shakes? If so I think you need to up that some. I would try to add in some more calories. You need to be progressing in weight on your lifts. It takes time under tension to build muscle. If you are completing your sets, add lbs a week until you level off again. Best of luck with your training and welcome to the forum.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
lowery
lowery
lifting today
New Brawn

lowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good postslowery has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Is the 120-150 grams of protein per day counting the shakes? If so I think you need to up that some. I would try to add in some more calories. You need to be progressing in weight on your lifts. It takes time under tension to build muscle. If you are completing your sets, add lbs a week until you level off again. Best of luck with your training and welcome to the forum.
That does include my shakes and thanks

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

eat a lot more.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
jhew
jhew
Shut up and squat
Master of disaster
New Brawn
Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFT
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
jhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good postsjhew has made some very good posts

2000-2200 calories would be a little more reasonable for a slow gain, although, given that you are very active outside of straight strength training, I would say something closer to 2500 would serve you well. Im not a nutritionist but 1800 seems pretty close to maintenance for your height and weight, and you really need to have a hypercaloric intake to make mass gains.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Firstly congrats on the weight loss. I can understand being hesitant to add back in the calories but to grow you really do need to do just that. Definitely need to be eating more. Add in 200-300 additional calories per day and see how that goes.

Also you're doing a hell of a lot of activity for the week. Cutting either your BJJ or your training, or better both, back to twice a week each would work much better.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Firstly congrats on the weight loss. I can understand being hesitant to add back in the calories but to grow you really do need to do just that. Definitely need to be eating more. Add in 200-300 additional calories per day and see how that goes.

Also you're doing a hell of a lot of activity for the week. Cutting either your BJJ or your training, or better both, back to twice a week each would work much better.
My thoughts precisely.

Clean diet is good, and being set for gaining muscle/strength again is even better. You will need to up the calories though; even if you cut back both BJJ and weightlifting to 2x weekly.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
lowery
lowery
lifting today
New Brawn

Thank you guys for the information. As of last week I have cut BJJ back to two days and week and started to increase my calorie intake to 2000-2400. Lets see how this goes. Again I thank you guys for the information.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Sounds great lowery, let us know how it goes
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook