Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Default Donnie Thompson Squat Advice

When Super D talks about squatting, you should listen:

LtL

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Lead with the head...

I know someone else who is obsessed with this, and never shuts up about it. But I will admit, I do teach driving the head and hips. But Donnie squats more than me, so I am willing shut up, listen and change.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Lead with the head...

I know someone else who is obsessed with this, and never shuts up about it. But I will admit, I do teach driving the head and hips. But Donnie squats more than me, so I am willing shut up, listen and change.
I don't think it's a matter of he's right and you're wrong, the 'lead with the head' thing is only a follow-on of the greater point of leading with your upper back.

When I'm free squatting raw heavy I generally don't have my head up and it feels more comfortable that way. On a box and with moderate gear use changes that.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
When I'm free squatting raw heavy I generally don't have my head up and it feels more comfortable that way.
This is a point I was talking to Bruteforce about. People ask me how they can possibly drive their head/back with their head down (Rippetoe style). Head up, head down, it doesn't matter, one can still drive their head/back up. A lifter can drive their head/back up while keeping their head down.

Just for the record, I wasn't really framing it as an either or. Was just being a bit playful.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
People ask me how they can possibly drive their head/back with their head down (Rippetoe style). Head up, head down, it doesn't matter, one can still drive their head/back up.
Exactly. Strength and flexibility in the thoracic region is the real training point here.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

^^This^^

Leading with the head is just a cue to get you to do this.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook