Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Mental Toughness

How do you define mental toughness and what are some ways you cultivate it or make it stronger?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

To me, mental toughness is continuing on, when everything is telling you to quit.

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
mental toughness is continuing on, when everything is telling you to quit.
This. Death by Prowler always seems to bring it out in Me and OR Jr..
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
To me, mental toughness is continuing on, when everything is telling you to quit.
what moe said.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,797, Level: 100 Points: 33,797, Level: 100 Points: 33,797, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Mental toughness in training counts for only a scrape on the surface of real balls to me. What I do in trainin, I choose to do so who am I to be bitching about it? If I fail I can only blame myself.

Real mental toughness is to carry on no matter what the obstacles or counter intentions are. 3h of sleep a night for 2 weeks and working 80h a week, while takeing care of family? Still training and being awesome nailing PB's? Thats were the real balls come in to play!

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
themaster2981
themaster2981
wants 200 lbs bench
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
My Mood: Angelic
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

As a person who is not so strong mentally and who needs to work on mental toughness, I believe mental toughness is doing daily routine consistently and with a smile. That includes business, family, lifting, and other daily chores. It also includes managing occasional exceptional events efficiently like death of a dear one or physical ailment to a dear one.

I am working on how to manage daily life. I am really poor at it.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 4,398, Level: 42 Points: 4,398, Level: 42 Points: 4,398, Level: 42
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

To me mental toughness is continuing to push through bodily pain, to continue to look up instead of down and never giving up.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
OneMorePlate
OneMorePlate
Rehab/ Phoenix style
Max Brawn
Points: 3,949, Level: 39 Points: 3,949, Level: 39 Points: 3,949, Level: 39
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Think it starts with an Unwillingness to accept failure, actually despising it. This stubbornness or single mindedness breaks down the door of holding back or being the slightest bit tentative. Envision success of task, Proceed with an unwavering commitment to the task.
OneMorePlate is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
How do you define mental toughness and what are some ways you cultivate it or make it stronger?
Mental toughness, as I see it, at it's very basic level, has to stem from mental/psychological weakness, to begin with, and how a person battles through it and keeps battling it even in the face of wanting to quit which is the easy option.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
SaxonViolence
SaxonViolence
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Yeehaw
SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

When I was at Airborne School, they did calisthenics before their ungodly tough runs.

The Military Calisthenics always seemed to get me way out of breath—more than most folks—and made the runs twice as hard.

Having been trained to always move slowly and deliberately when exercising, I resented their too fast cadence—where even the swift and the fit need to drop a rep occasionally to get back in synch.

{I mean that it made me furious to the point of grinding teeth when I needed my mouth wide open to gasp for air...}

Anyway, they had two torturous new exercises that we hadn't done at Basic.

The Mountain Climber:

Running in place from the push-up position;

And,

Bottoms Up

Doing the lower half of the squat thrust or burpee over and over without the standing up part.

I was trying hard to pace myself and spare energy as much as possible, because I wanted to be Airborne SO Bad.

One day I got so angry at the damned fools who'd never heard of "3-up; 5-down"...

I just attacked those two hated breath stealing exercises as if the object was to hurt myself and reach exhaustion as quickly as possible.

They were never as bad again after that.

0 Week we went on some long runs.

1 Week we ran 8.5 miles at an eight minute per mile pace the first day.

I'd put on about 35 or 40 pounds of fat in Basic and just barely passed the running portion of my Airborne Physical.

{Airborne required running 2 miles in 15:59 or less.

I did 15:42; 45 Push-ups (super strict don't count half of them US Army push-ups) 54 sit-ups.}

Anyway, I was never down with fast runs (I always trained at 10 min/mile)

And you could only fall out of 3 runs before being disqualified.

I kept telling myself:

"I can go another quarter mile—probably another half mile—I don't know after that."

Finally they stopped.

They seemed fascinated that someone of my bulk could run so well. The Chaplain told me that something like 230 folks had dropped out of the first run of Week One.

I hung in the next day too...

Then I froze in the 32 Foot Tower and was disqualified...

And I haven't accomplished anything worth bragging about since...

{Well, there was that beautiful run of 20 rep Squats a few years later...

But no one gives out Silver Wings for 20 rep Squats—even if I'd gotten to my goal of 405 X 20—but I plateaued at around 375 or 385 X 20; Don't remember...}

At any rate—The way I threw myself at those Mountain Climbers and Bottoms Up

Hanging in a 8.5 mile run at an 8 minute pace when you weigh 250 pounds...

That's Mental Toughness.

You know, the Greatest Form of Mental Toughness would to be able to permanently set aside all goals and expectations and never again strive for anything...

But I've never quite been That tough.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook