Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default Which lift gives the most impressive upper body look?

Out of the following 4 lifts which one do you think would give the most impressive upper body look. I am talking about that strong broad masculine look from the front .

Bench press
Incline Bench press
Seated overhead press
Seated behind the neck press

cheers
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

From the list you provided, I'd have to go with the seated overhead press.

However, I think your list is VERY limiting. There are many lifts that would have a more powerful effect on your upper body if done as a stand-alone exercise. My top three stand-alone exercises for upper body groth would be:

#1. Deadlifts
These hit so many muscles all at once and will cause a growth effect throughout the entire body. Not to mention that they can make your back absolutely THICK. You want that strong masculine look, think back muscles first...Think Olympic lifters.

#2. Weighted Bar Dips
Bar Dips also work a ton of upper body muscles including chest. shoulders, arms, and upper back. It's like the squat for the upper body and will get you thick.

#3 Weighted Chin-ups
This is the true upper body squat. It works the biggest muscles in the upper body through a full range of movement. Once again, if you are looking for that thick powerful look then you need to think of the back first. The back will add to your width and thicknes, not just fluffy mirror muscles.

Those three lifts are very results producing and combining the three of them would give you an absolutely thick, strong, and impressive upper body. Of course you could do more than just those three lifts for a well-rounded routine, but those three would give great results and be pretty well rounded. You'd be lacking for nothing.

Last edited by Off Road; 05-31-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm with Off Road...of the lifts, big shoulders stand out most to me. BTNs worked wonders for me.

Those, along with deadlifts and heavy shrugs. Big shoulders and traps make a man look like a mountain.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'm with Off Road...of the lifts, big shoulders stand out most to me. BTNs worked wonders for me.

Those, along with deadlifts and heavy shrugs. Big shoulders and traps make a man look like a mountain.

I agree. Standing press is the one for me.

Re: the picture - that guy he's interviewing looks OK too.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
My Mood: Lurking
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Im gonna side with Tann here, overhead press always stands out for me as an impressive lift.

That said , weighted pull ups are one I had not considered before but will do in future

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100 Points: 36,169, Level: 100
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

If you wanna look impressive IMO you need a back that you can see from the front. Pressing is good but you need a foundation to build those pecs and shoulders on. The back is that foundation.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Full squat clean and press.

The rest leave part of the equation out. In truth, no one movement covers all the bases, but you really do not need to do as many moves as most routines have in them.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I did some more thinking on this subject. I came up with what I consider to be the priorities for building an impressive upper body. In order...

1. Back
2. Shoulders
3. Neck
4. Arms
5. Chest
6. Abz
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook