Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
soccermom
soccermom
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

soccermom is off to a bad start
Default How important is it for you to read labels?

How important is it to you personally to read labels? I never used to read labels but since I had children I always read them now. I want to make sure that they are getting the best nutrition that they can so that also benefits me. I make sure to check the sugar content, as well as sodium and other factors. I also want to make sure that no nuts are in the product since my child has peanut allergies.
soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

In terms of packaged products I think it's very important.

Most stuff I try to eat is fairly natural anyway, like meats, fruits and veg so I don't tend to read as much into that stuff.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

When comparing products the first thing I look at is the ingredients list. The fewer, the better. I look for things like:

Ingredients: Almonds

Not...

Ingredients: ALMONDS, SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: HONEY, CORN SYRUP, PEANUT AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CINNAMON, FRUCTOSE, SEA SALT, BROWN SUGAR, GUM ARABIC, CORNSTARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM. CONTAINS: ALMOND. MANUFACTURED ON EQUIPMENT THAT PROCESSES PEANUT, OTHER TREE NUTS.

^ This is from Planter's cocoa almonds.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When comparing products the first thing I look at is the ingredients list. The fewer, the better. I look for things like:

Not...

Ingredients: ALMONDS, SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: HONEY, CORN SYRUP, PEANUT AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CINNAMON, FRUCTOSE, SEA SALT, BROWN SUGAR, GUM ARABIC, CORNSTARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM. CONTAINS: ALMOND. MANUFACTURED ON EQUIPMENT THAT PROCESSES PEANUT, OTHER TREE NUTS.

Exactly. If I am going to buy salsa, I want tomato, onion, peppers, cilantro, maybe vinegar and water, some salt, not a list of chemicals that I have to cast back to my days in chemical engineering to figure out what they are trying to feed me.

Another complaint of mine is injecting chicken with saline to make it heavier. It also makes it a pain in the butt to cook in a pan, having to pour the water off every few minutes.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Look for labels that read,
Cow
Chicken
Pork
Fish
butter

Ect, stuff along those lines.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom View Post
How important is it to you personally to read labels? I never used to read labels but since I had children I always read them now. I want to make sure that they are getting the best nutrition that they can so that also benefits me. I make sure to check the sugar content, as well as sodium and other factors. I also want to make sure that no nuts are in the product since my child has peanut allergies.
With the peanut allergy, you'd be much wiser going the route of fresh stuff as opposed to packaged foods, as already suggested, since most packaged foods even if there is no way on earth that they may have come into contact with nuts, will always say "cannot guarantee nut free" after stating quite clearly that their product does not contain nuts.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I check the macros and ingredient list. I try to follow the three step rule. "Don't eat anything that takes more than three steps in the process to the store. " example?

Eggs
Step one - farm
Step two - Distributer/packager
Step three- store

There are always a few exceptions. I don't make my own pasta so I have to buy. Then I check macros and apply my personal rules there.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

BendtheBar is right on the money less is more when it comes to ingredients when in doubt make it yourself at home. home made cookies or breaded cutlets will kick the nutritional pants off of store bought stuff
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Shop on the oustside isles in the supermarket...Meats, veggies, fruits, and dairy.
Yes, the donuts are on an outside isle, yeehaw!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Not...

I look at the ingredients like BTB and i also check Cals, Fats, Carbs, Protein.
FYI, whichever of the 3 macro nutrients is the highest (fats, carbs, or protein) that is what the food counts as.
IE Peanut butter is highest in fats. So it's a Fat source. Of course it also has protein, etc...but its highest in Fats.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook