Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Interesting, never heard that before.
The equivalent weight for a 5'10" lifter would be:

Quote:
5'10" adult male:

Underweight at 128 pounds or less (BMI <18.5)
Normal weight at 129 to 173 pounds (BMI = 18.5-24.9)
Overweight at 174 to 209 pounds (BMI = 25-29.9)
Obese at 210 to 243 pounds (BMI = 30-34.9)
Extremely obese at 244 pounds or more (BMI = 35 or greater)
These numbers are calculated off the Department of Health & Human Services website.

If this study is accurate, and I encourage everyone to do their own research, then a 5'10" 243 pound male has about the same risk of death as a "normal weight" adult. I don't meet many 5'10" 129 pound adult males, for what it's worth.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Bmi....
Bhhahahahahaahhaahaha

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

BMI,

That's the Bullshit Meter Index that Dr's use to justify the uneducated opinions on topics they have no training in.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Health: Easy enough. Normally-to-excellently functioning internal organs, reflexes, immune system; healthy skin, eyes, etc.

Basically, you are in good working order and can fight off sickness well.

Fitness: Also easy, though not as straightforward. The basic level of human functionality would be the ability to perform regular, daily tasks without breaking down. However, our "daily tasks" have changed dramatically from even 100 years ago as compared to most people's cushy existence today.

Therefore, fitness should be defined, to my mind, as a combination of various strengths. I would not consider a strong-but-obese man to be "fit," nor would I consider a paper-weight, 95lb weakling who couldn't squat his own bodyweight "fit."

Fitness is a combination of good levels of strength, stamina, agility, and speed.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
angie828
angie828
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

I go by how I feel and what I see. I can tell if I am gaining weight or whatever. And I figure that if I feel good about myself healthwise, I am headed in the right direction and I keep working hard to get to my goals.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

For me this is a difficult question to answer.

For years, I have read about people whom are seemingly healthy, athletic, in shape it seems, see a doctor regularly, take stress tests, try to eat right, take no illegal substances, or abuse alcohol, (etc), live long and prosper or die an early death--or still live to average age. Some are sudden without warning, and for others is a disease of a major organ (for no known reason, or personally caused), or by other means.

Meanwhile, I have read about people whom are aren't healthy, non-athletic, out of shape and overweight, do not eat right, regularly consume illegal substances, or abuse alcohol, (etc), live long and prosper, or die a early death or still live to average age. Some are sudden without warning, some live longer than compared to their seemingly healthier humans, and for others is a disease of a major organ (for no known reason, or personally induced).

Now, consider the average age of death for men and woman (where things are considered equal).

It becomes a pretty interesting subject matter.

Obviously, what we do...or do not do, on the things we have control over...effects our health dependent on what we are discussing.

Today, at the hotel, for example, I was talking to a world war 2 vet, whom is 92 years old. Very intelligent, has his mind, and gets around great. He is a smoker of cigarettes and cigars (as witnessed from the lobby).

Is he considered healthy? And, since he smoked since the age of 16 (as we talked later), would he have been considered healthy then?

Is this an exception rather than the rule? Why is "he" an exception as compared to someone else, whom may do the same exact things but die much earlier? Genes? Heredity?

Why is it that someone who "tries" to be reasonable healthy while living, die at "average age" and the 92 year old, in which may be "doing things" some would logically decide not healthy, live nearly 20 years longer in comparison?

Some dust seems to settle on: The things in which we have control over (eating habits, exercise, smoking, etc), our environment, genes and heredity, how we are put together and efficient in functioning, and the things in which we do, and how tolerant (as a whole) our bodies are.

Obviously, we are not all put together the same way, though we are made of the same things.

The path we take isn't "always" up to us. Though we can try to alter it, improve it, delay it, etc, what trumps all, is the little biological beasts inside us all.

Its called the efficiencies/deficiencies inside us (and family history) , and how this is processed within our bodies. And each of us are different. There is no guarantee that you live long and prosper eating right and staying fit.

Odds increase you live longer? Maybe, maybe not.

But I like the "odds" on the diet and exercise side of the equation, despite the potential biological factors that play a role within me.

But death is a guarantee. This is going to happen.

However, its rare you see "a morbidly obese" person at the average age of death (say for men) around 76 years old.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-29-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Transformed
Transformed
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Transformed is off to a good startTransformed is off to a good startTransformed is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Interesting, never heard that before.
That fact is interesting. I too have never heard it before. I can not really imagine why that would be correct as it is just stunning to believe.
Transformed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
BMI,

That's the Bullshit Meter Index that Dr's use to justify the uneducated opinions on topics they have no training in.
We likey

Oddly, on hubby's rehab info sheets, they utilise the BMI, however, it states clearly underneath the chart that the BMI reading should not be used in isolation if a person appears to be muscly to some degree (don't recall the exact wording and don't quite know where hubby has placed the chart); I haven't seen that written on any BMI chart before, so that was interesting to come across.

Maybe, they starting to learn, slowly but surely.

Share with Facebook