Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
smalldon
smalldon
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 245, Level: 4 Points: 245, Level: 4 Points: 245, Level: 4
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

smalldon is off to a bad start
Default Best way to measure health and fitness

A small debate here. What is the best way to measure health and fitness? I say by how you feel but a friend says you should go by the BMI. Who is right here, or is it a combo of both?
smalldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I would measure health as "Not being sick" and all things functioning normally.

Measuring fitness would be tougher as it will mean many different things to many different people. But I guess the basic measurement would be in your ability to perform everyday tasks without difficulty.

And BMI is crap. You could be very unhealthy and have a good BMI. I've known some cancer patients with a good BMI...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80 Points: 15,432, Level: 80
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

If you do more than sit on the couch all day, BMI is pretty useless. It would call derek poundstone obese. On the other hand, its much more than how you feel.

I have a very different opinion on what fitness is than a long distance runner would. The whole thing is too subjective for a single definitive answer. Health has very little to do with how you feel though. You may not even know how bad you feel until you get healthier.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

How well I lifted at my last competition, haha!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Jen
Jen
wants a 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
My Mood: Relaxed
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

<--- Popping popcorn for this one.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

how you feel and BMI have very little to do with health and fitness, in terms of health a doctor would say absence of disease is health which is shit, health is a combo of mind body and spirit that when in flow with one another make up this abstract concept called 'health', as for fitness this should be measured with a baseline stress test for your age group, I personally believe anyone claiming they are fit should be performing in the top 10% of their age group in any standardized testing measure. When you consider that these tests are standardized on random sectors of population, being average really means you are overweight and out of shape. According to government 66% of pop is overweight or obese leaving 33% underweight or normal weight pretty ****ing pathetic.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldon View Post
A small debate here. What is the best way to measure health and fitness? I say by how you feel but a friend says you should go by the BMI. Who is right here, or is it a combo of both?
Neither. I measure my overall health by my metrics from my physician: Blood pressure, resting heart rate, cholesterol level.

Height/weight and BMI never factor in. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and my BP and cholesterol are the lowest they have ever been.

Now as far as fitness, I guess I could say cardiovascular fitness as measured by endurance-type activities like walking, hiking, running.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hard question to answer. People slightly higher on the BMI scale than what is considered normal tend to live longer.

Study: Overweight People Live Longer

Quote:
Based on BMI scores, a 5-foot, 5-inch adult would be considered:

Underweight at 110 pounds or less (BMI <18.5)
Normal weight at 111 to 149 pounds (BMI = 18.5-24.9)
Overweight at 150 to 179 pounds (BMI = 25-29.9)
Obese at 180 to 210 pounds (BMI = 30-34.9)
Extremely obese at 211 pounds or more (BMI = 35 or greater)

In the newly published study, researchers used data from an ongoing Canadian national health survey to follow more than 11,000 adults from the mid-1990s to 2007.

Compared to people who fell into the normal-weight category:

Those classified as underweight were 73% more likely to die.
Those classified as extremely obese with BMI of 35 or greater were 36% more likely to die.
Those classified as obese with BMI 30-34.9 had about the same risk of death.
Those classified as overweight with BMI 25-29.9 were 17% less likely to die.

The study appears online this week in the journal Obesity.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldon View Post
You can be fit but not necessarily healthy and you can be healthy yet unfit. But the simple answer to your question is that neither of you is right because it's more complex than that, as highlighted by the other posters.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
IronWill
IronWill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Relaxed
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hard question to answer. People slightly higher on the BMI scale than what is considered normal tend to live longer.

Study: Overweight People Live Longer
Interesting, never heard that before.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook