Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #1761
adamski
adamski
has no status.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

adamski is new to the forumadamski is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I'll try to help.

The chest volume is ok per week. I don't like the layout of the shoulder work to be honest.

Quite frankly calling 3x6 reps strength work and 4x8 reps hypertrophy is a bit wonky for the target audience. Semantics aside, I would do a 3-4 sets on "hypertrophy day" of something like Arnold presses
Thanks for your help, okay I think I'll do that that. What do you think of the program itself? (Ill post the writeup down below) as I liked it at first but im just not sure. As im looking for an upper lower program which incorporates heavy squats, deadlift and bench press etc and has the hypertrophy element. As my squat is seriously lacking do you think this program is acceptable? As obviously I know there is no 'magic' program, but want to at least be running a balanced program. Thanks again for your time. Here's the routine:
Lower strength:
Squats 3x6
Deadlift 2x6
Optional 3x8-12 (ill do Lunges)
Optional 3x8-12 (ab exercise)

Upper strength:
Bench 3x6
Barbell row 3x6
Military press 1x6
Weighted pull ups 1x6
Face pulls 3x15 (my added extra)
Skullcrushers 3x8
Dumbbell curls 3x8

Lower hypertrophy:
Front squat or back squat 5x8
Stiff legged deadlift 3x8
Leg press 3x12
Leg curl 3x12
Calf raise 5x15
Abs

Upper hypertrophy:
Incline dumbbell press 4x8
Decline dumbbell press 4x8
Dumbbell row 4x8
Pull down 4x8
Shoulder press 3x10
Overhead extensions 3x8-12
Preacher curls 3x8-12
adamski is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #1762
PowderAndIron
PowderAndIron
has no status.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5
PowderAndIron is new to the forumPowderAndIron is new to the forum
Smile

Hello Steve and greetings from Finland!

I'm asking for your training program recommendations. I started training with the basic bodybuilding splits a few years back. After newbie gains I changed to Layne Norton's PHAT and used it for a couple of years until my progress in weights stopped. I also started to hate going to gym 5 times a week. Because there is no progression model with percentages in PHAT, my "go heavy or go home" attitude made me use too heavy weights too often and my lifts started to go down and caused me minor injuries.

After PHAT I started to do HST. I've done HST for a few cycles now and it's a good program but during the last couple of microcycles in HST the workouts get really ridiculously long (3+ hours per session) when the weights start to go over 300 pounds in major lifts. I've found a good template for HST with percentages so I know in every workout which weights, reps and sets to use.

I'm thinking about trying your fullbody workout program.

Another option is this upper/lower split "Off Season Linear Periodization Intermediate Strength Program #1" by JuggernautFitnessTV. That program/template seems promising because it has interesting built-in progression model and you train every muscle at least 2 times a week. (Shit! "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.")

So what are your recommendations for a guy who won't go to gym 5 times a week ever again and don't want to be in gym over 3 hours per session? Do you have a more refined version of your fullbody program somewhere? With maybe some sort of progression model? In your book maybe?

Thanks!!!
PowderAndIron is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #1763
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamski View Post
Thanks for your help, okay I think I'll do that that. What do you think of the program itself?
The program is fine. It's like every other strength/hypertrophy template out there except he allows you to pick some of your own work. It will serve you well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #1764
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderAndIron View Post
Hello Steve and greetings from Finland!

I'm asking for your training program recommendations. I started training with the basic bodybuilding splits a few years back. After newbie gains I changed to Layne Norton's PHAT and used it for a couple of years until my progress in weights stopped. I also started to hate going to gym 5 times a week. Because there is no progression model with percentages in PHAT, my "go heavy or go home" attitude made me use too heavy weights too often and my lifts started to go down and caused me minor injuries.

After PHAT I started to do HST. I've done HST for a few cycles now and it's a good program but during the last couple of microcycles in HST the workouts get really ridiculously long (3+ hours per session) when the weights start to go over 300 pounds in major lifts. I've found a good template for HST with percentages so I know in every workout which weights, reps and sets to use.

I'm thinking about trying your fullbody workout program.

Another option is this upper/lower split "Off Season Linear Periodization Intermediate Strength Program #1" by JuggernautFitnessTV. That program/template seems promising because it has interesting built-in progression model and you train every muscle at least 2 times a week. (Shit! "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.")

So what are your recommendations for a guy who won't go to gym 5 times a week ever again and don't want to be in gym over 3 hours per session? Do you have a more refined version of your fullbody program somewhere? With maybe some sort of progression model? In your book maybe?

Thanks!!!
I came up with an intensity cycling program yesterday that might be worth looking at:

http://massiveiron.com/mite-massive-...sity-training/

It cycles intensity which can help reduce some of those annoying strains and pains you get from trying to go heavy all the time.

Jason's off-season program is ok for strength athletes, but unless that's your primary goal I wouldn't do that program.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #1765
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Hey Steve.

A carry on from our conversation in the shoutbox about recovery.

It got me interested, and I was wondering if you could tell me how much diet effects the way we recover.

While a caloric surplus is a necessity for us to gain weight and build muscle, it also aids recovery, but to what extent?

Is there a big difference in the extent to which we'd recover between a caloric surplus, and a deficit or maintenance?
Is it simply a matter of being able to recover faster if your on a surplus diet?

Cheers.

- LG
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook