Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Periodization for an Advanced Lifters

My left shoulder is pretty damn beat up right now. I have been avoiding periodization for a while but don't think I can hold off any longer.

Any opinions or thoughts on using "only" 4 week blocks. I am wondering if 4 weeks will be enough, or if I should consider 8 weeks or longer.

I don't know if Wendler's would be the solution - but I might be wrong. I push myself on the big lifts as is, and there ain't much major progression left in me. Right now I'm grinding it out for 20 pounds a year.

I appreciate any/all opinions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Here is a 13 week Block Periodization Cycle. You can set it up a number of different ways, but the key is to get the required reps in all three lifts in the percentages listed each week. For instance, you can squat on one day up to 60% of your max for 6 sets of 5, or squat twice a week and split the work up into two workouts (one day 60% 3x5, and the next squat day 60% 3x5). During accumulation block you can do non-specific lifts like box squats, Good mornings, etc. but during transmutation and especially realization you should be doing the competition lifts. This template is very easy to follow for a raw lifter, but presents some problems for those that need more practice with heavy loads in gear. Also, during the Transmutation block you will be fatigued and feel like crap. This is good. Also, the volume of assistance work should start very high and towards the end of the block be very minimal (if at all).

Accumulation 60% 6x5
Accumulation 65% 5x5
Accumulation 70% 5x5
Accumulation 72-75% 5x4
Accumulation 77-79% 4x4
Restoration 65% 2x3
Transmutation 78-82 6x3
Transmutation 83-85 5x3
Transmutation 86-89 5x2
Restoration 75 2x2
Realization 90-92% 4x2
Realization 95% 3x1
Realization 97-100% 2x1

Personally I would setup a squat day, a deadlift day, a bench day, and a bench assistance day which would be primarily for recovery and light military.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks Ehubbs.

So if I am understanding this correctly, during accumulation I could possibly use good mornings and sumo deadlifts to help focus on weak hamstrings instead of squats and standard deadlifts?

I'm was thinking about splitting the accumulation squat sets into half, and using some for good mornings. Would this be a solid choice in your experience? My hamstrings are my weak chain, and heavy RDLs are starting to eat at my back, so I am thinking about using more good mornings again.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Ehubbs.

So if I am understanding this correctly, during accumulation I could possibly use good mornings and sumo deadlifts to help focus on weak hamstrings instead of squats and standard deadlifts?
Yes, although with the good mornings I would use more of a bent knee version as opposed to a stiff leg version

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Ehubbs.

I'm was thinking about splitting the accumulation squat sets into half, and using some for good mornings. Would this be a solid choice in your experience? My hamstrings are my weak chain, and heavy RDLs are starting to eat at my back, so I am thinking about using more good mornings again.
That sounds smart. And yes it should work.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Yes, although with the good mornings I would use more of a bent knee version as opposed to a stiff leg version
Thanks Ehubbs.

My good mornings are very much bent-kneed. I would even say they border on a half good morning, half squat.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
BigCLS
BigCLS
has no status.
Points: 836, Level: 15 Points: 836, Level: 15 Points: 836, Level: 15

BigCLS is off to a good startBigCLS is off to a good startBigCLS is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
Here is a 13 week Block Periodization Cycle. You can set it up a number of different ways, but the key is to get the required reps in all three lifts in the percentages listed each week. For instance, you can squat on one day up to 60% of your max for 6 sets of 5, or squat twice a week and split the work up into two workouts (one day 60% 3x5, and the next squat day 60% 3x5). During accumulation block you can do non-specific lifts like box squats, Good mornings, etc. but during transmutation and especially realization you should be doing the competition lifts. This template is very easy to follow for a raw lifter, but presents some problems for those that need more practice with heavy loads in gear. Also, during the Transmutation block you will be fatigued and feel like crap. This is good. Also, the volume of assistance work should start very high and towards the end of the block be very minimal (if at all).

Accumulation 60% 6x5
Accumulation 65% 5x5
Accumulation 70% 5x5
Accumulation 72-75% 5x4
Accumulation 77-79% 4x4
Restoration 65% 2x3
Transmutation 78-82 6x3
Transmutation 83-85 5x3
Transmutation 86-89 5x2
Restoration 75 2x2
Realization 90-92% 4x2
Realization 95% 3x1
Realization 97-100% 2x1

Personally I would setup a squat day, a deadlift day, a bench day, and a bench assistance day which would be primarily for recovery and light military.
You have a template for this or who you would set up the lifts? Ive got a few articles on this ive been meaning to read.
BigCLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCLS View Post
You have a template for this or who you would set up the lifts? Ive got a few articles on this ive been meaning to read.
I'm not following your question. What are you looking for?

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
BigCLS
BigCLS
has no status.
Points: 836, Level: 15 Points: 836, Level: 15 Points: 836, Level: 15

BigCLS is off to a good startBigCLS is off to a good startBigCLS is off to a good start

Disregard my question.. I had time to read what you posted instead of skimming it my fault
BigCLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook