Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,254, Level: 72 Points: 12,254, Level: 72 Points: 12,254, Level: 72
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

looks interesting..something i'll be adding to my library.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Maiar
Maiar
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17 Points: 1,067, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Maiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality postsMaiar has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Jeremy,

It is one of the best books on dieting in the niche. It lays out several great plans and approaches, but more then that, it gets you thinking about all the dieting possibilities. I actually interviewed the author I liked the book so well:

Interview with Dr. Warren Willey: Better Than Steroids Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

It's the type of book that gets you thinking. It's hard not to learn from this book. Very straightforward, and lots of usable detail.
I really enjoyed that. Thanks.
Maiar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiar View Post
I really enjoyed that. Thanks.
Thanks Maier.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 21,211, Level: 91 Points: 21,211, Level: 91 Points: 21,211, Level: 91
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I just finished up reading "Better Than Steroids" and to sum it up in one word: WOW. This book was full of useful information, that makes dieting seem realistic and actually better than steroids. I plan to implement many of Dr. Willey's ideas into my lifestyle.

I am first going to get my pre and post workout meals straightened out gradually get more scientific with my diet. I am hoping that using his methods will eliminate my dependence on stimulants and other pre workout supplements. One thing I plan to do over this summer is a glycogen supercompensation cycle. This just sounds so amazing and I think I could suffer through one week knowing that I get to eat for 36 hours straight pretty much.

The idea of short keto runs and other diets of he suggests sound so simple yet very effective. This book has really taught me how to use food to my advantage to gain muscle without having to do a huge bulk cycle of gaining fat. Another very useful tool is the glycemic index chart in the back of the book which gives a list of foods and what time of day you should eat them. Basically higher carb in the morning and then eliminate them as the day goes on.

This is a book that I will definitely read many times and go back to all the time for different information, for the current cycle. He gives great ideas for both cardio and weightlifting routines, but all are easy to read and follow.

This is an excellent book, and I suggest this book to everyone that is serious about training and wants to take their body to the next level.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm glad you liked it. I'm always nervous about recommending books, but there is so much good info in this book.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I'm gonna have to get me one.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #17
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it. I'm always nervous about recommending books, but there is so much good info in this book.
This book was great, thanks for recommending it to me, you can not help but learn from this.

I am currently saving some money to make a big supplement purchase, but according to a little bit a math I did, it should be 3-4 months worth for around 120 dollars. Around 1 dollar a day, for a solid pre and post workout meal. I think it is a good investment

Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

I have been getting my supplement order together and figuring out my pre and post workout meal, most stuff I am going to get from M&S, with 1 or two things from supplement direct. Here is a rundown of what I will be ordering sometime next week.

10 lbs MGN Whey Protein Isolate
10 lbs Dextrose
Prima Force BCAAs
L-Leucine powder
Glutamine Powder
ALA, not sure which one is cheapest yet
Chromium or vanadyl sulfate (insulin mimicker)

Also will probably pick up vit C at walmart.

Looks like the total will be around 130 dollars for all of this stuff. Should last around 3-4 months for most stuff. To me this is approximately the same as buying ten pounds of protein and a pre-workout formula each month.

Hopefully this works like the good doctor says.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I have been getting my supplement order together and figuring out my pre and post workout meal, most stuff I am going to get from M&S, with 1 or two things from supplement direct. Here is a rundown of what I will be ordering sometime next week.

10 lbs MGN Whey Protein Isolate
10 lbs Dextrose
Prima Force BCAAs
L-Leucine powder
Glutamine Powder
ALA, not sure which one is cheapest yet
Chromium or vanadyl sulfate (insulin mimicker)

Also will probably pick up vit C at walmart.

Looks like the total will be around 130 dollars for all of this stuff. Should last around 3-4 months for most stuff. To me this is approximately the same as buying ten pounds of protein and a pre-workout formula each month.

Hopefully this works like the good doctor says.
I hope as well. I might just jump on board with you.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Quote:
I hope as well. I might just jump on board with you.
I am sick of throwing money away to pre workout supplements, that I do not think are giving me any benefit other than a caffeine burst. So if I feel the preworkout meal is not giving me enough energy, I will take a caffeine pill, and should be better than any other pre workotu formula

Share with Facebook