Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
BigTallOx
BigTallOx
MOTIVATED!
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Default Incorporating strongman events into powerlifting training

I've been competing in powerlifting for about 2 years. For a long time I've been interested in competing in strongman, that's part of the reason I started powerlfting, to bring up my strength levels for strongman. I think I'm to the point with my powerlifting that my strength levels are decent and it's time to start focusing more on strongman events. I still want to compete in powerlifting, maybe once or twice a year, and I definitely don't want to forget about the things that have gotten me to this point. If anybody has any experience on how to successfully combined training for strongman and powerlifting, I'd really like some advice. Just to give and idea about where I'm at I totalled 1603 at my last powerlifting meet, and last night strongmans training ( the first since last november because ski season ) I yoked walked 550 for 50 feet pretty easily, farmer walked 305 each side for about 25 feet, flipped the 800 pound tire a few times ( but was really unhappy with my technique ). Anyway, I'd appreciate any information/advice.

Thanks.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn

Last edited by BigTallOx; 06-16-2010 at 10:31 PM.
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Marc
Marc
TV.
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30

My Mood: A Hole
Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

I do exactly what you are wanting to do. I train a powerlifting routine with a heavy strongman influence. My accessory work is all for my strongman but I do core lifts geared towards powerlifting. I do event training three times a week usually as a finisher to my workouts, last thing I do. I have a training log on this site that will showcase my latest training regiment. Obviously it focusses on certain events at a time as you cant train them all at once. I am increasing strength in every aspect, my core lifts to my strongman events it is working out awesome. You are never too weak to start strongman training, learning technique is everything. While you lift more than I do Im sure combined training will still benefit you alot.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
BigTallOx
BigTallOx
MOTIVATED!
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I do event training three times a week usually as a finisher to my workouts, last thing I do.
That's not going to work for me. My powerlifting gym doesn't have strongman equipment. The only times I can train strongman is Tuesday night and Saturday morning, that's when a group of guys meet at a guys house who keeps the equipment in his garage.

Quote:
I have a training log on this site that will showcase my latest training regiment. Obviously it focusses on certain events at a time as you cant train them all at once. I am increasing strength in every aspect, my core lifts to my strongman events it is working out awesome.
Thanks, I'll look at your training log.

Quote:
You are never too weak to start strongman training, learning technique is everything.
I know, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I just had some unique issues and wanted to gain some strength first.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

bumping for the ox... also im interested in this

EDIT: if you havent already been helped you may want to PM some of the strongman guys
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

What works best for me is doing Deadlift versus chains/bands and keeping it light and dynamic,just doing it to keep my form and technique up to par while building speed during the week, so I have energy for farmers walks/stones/tires/events... during the weekend.

Basically if you powerlifting leaves you beat up for events then deload it with dynamic work so you keep the technique and style you developed but you don't kill your body.

I personally do something like: and switch it up based on how I feel

Tuesday
Narrow Grip Bench Press
Strict Presses/Db Presses or Overhead/Bench assistance

Thursday
Squats
DE Deadlifts

Saturday
Events:
Log or Axle Clean and press
Tires
Farmers/yoke
Stones

I mix the westside pendulum and 5/3/1 templates for certain lifts altering them as I see fit, as for events I base them off competitions I have an eye on doing. Tend to go heavy when I feel strong, light when I feel weak, and always try to work on technique rather then forcing the weight/implements up.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook