Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
bas781
bas781
back
Brawn
Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13 Points: 689, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
My Mood: Mellow
bas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good postsbas781 has made some very good posts

Already owned Starting Strength - Rippetoe Kilgore. Just picked up Practical Programming a few weeks ago. Excellent followup to SS for the intermediate and advanced lifter.
bas781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas781 View Post
Already owned Starting Strength - Rippetoe Kilgore. Just picked up Practical Programming a few weeks ago. Excellent followup to SS for the intermediate and advanced lifter.
I haven't purchased that yet.

Recent purchases:

--Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
--THE Complete Keys to Progress
--Powerlifting Basics, Texas-Style: The Adventures of Lope Delk
--Real Strength Real Muscle

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Achilles
Achilles
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11 Points: 568, Level: 11
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

My Mood: Amused
Achilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good postsAchilles has made some very good posts

A bit more in depth information in these books but great reads I can asure you that.
  • Exercise Physiology: Human Bioenergetics and Its Applications by George A. Brooks, Thomas D. Fahey, Timothy G. White
  • Strength and Power in Sport, 2nd ed. Edited by Komi.
  • Physiology of Sport and Exercise-3rd Edition by Jack H. Wilmore, David L. Costill
  • Periodization: training and methodology - Tudor O. Bompa
  • Science and Practice of Strength Training - Vladimir Zatsiorsky

Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
A bit more in depth information in these books but great reads I can asure you that.
  • Exercise Physiology: Human Bioenergetics and Its Applications by George A. Brooks, Thomas D. Fahey, Timothy G. White
  • Strength and Power in Sport, 2nd ed. Edited by Komi.
  • Physiology of Sport and Exercise-3rd Edition by Jack H. Wilmore, David L. Costill
  • Periodization: training and methodology - Tudor O. Bompa
  • Science and Practice of Strength Training - Vladimir Zatsiorsky
Nice additions. I just added Zatsiorsky's book to my wish list last week.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
jax larue
jax larue
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

My Mood: Breezy
jax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality posts

heres my essential books,If you guys have never read any of them get ready to knock the dust off of history with some of these

Progessive Barbrll Training by George F.Jowett

The Henry Higgens Strength and Muscle Course:the secert of the Professional Strong Man's strength

Iron Man Barbell Course No.1 by Peary Rader

physical training simplified by Mark H. Berry

The Mark Berry Barbell Courses by Mark H. Berry

Super Stength by Alan Calvert

The Milo Barbell Courses by Alan Calvert

The Way to Live by George Hackenschmidt

How to use a barbell by W.A.Pullum

Goerner The Mighty by Edgar Muller

Super Squats by Randall J.Strossen

The Complete keys to Progess bt John McCallum

Dinosaur Training ,and Strength,Muscle and power by Brooks D.Kubik

and my faves:

Weight Lifting by Bob Hoffman

Big Arms by Bob Hoffman

Secrets of Strength & Development by Bob Hoffman

The Big Chest Book by Bob Hoffman

Bob Hoffman's Simplified System of Swing Bar Training

Bob Hoffman's Simplified System of Barbell Training

Bob Hoffman's Simplified System of Dumbell Training

York Advanced Methods of Weight Training

Functional Isometric Contraction System

Functional Isometric Contraction - Advanced Course

Functional Isometric Contraction Exercise without Movement

The York Handbalancing Course

The Bosco System of Progressive Physical training by Harry B.Paschall

Muscle Moulding By Harry B.Paschall

Development of Strength by yes you guessed it Harry B.Paschall
jax larue is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Nice additions Jax.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
jax larue
jax larue
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

My Mood: Breezy
jax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality postsjax larue has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Nice additions Jax.
thanks
jax larue is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
NYMIKE
NYMIKE
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

NYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good postsNYMIKE has made some good posts

I have a decent collection of books, but I must say with the internet as it is today, there is less need for books, there are great free sources such as this board.
NYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
WilldBill88
WilldBill88
is Hungry!
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Better Than Steroids

by Dr. Warren Willey

Product Description
Better Than Steroids! is a summary of what you need to know to be a successful bodybuilder, athlete or just to look freaking good. It covers in a stepwise fashion, the information you need to succeed. I will review why and how anabolic steroids work, which will lead us into why food programs, eating plans and tricks like the pre and post workout meal are not only comparable to anabolic steroids, but better! I will review the importance of tracking your body composition, as those who are meticulous enough to do so are the ones who keep improving. I will give you a quick synopsis of water, and will review information directly from What Does Your Doctor Look like Naked? Your Guide to Optimal Health such as Food Timing and The Free Window.

The meat of the book is the eating plans. I have reviewed the top four eating plans for guaranteed success. They come with detailed instructions on how they work, when they work best, and how to design one for yourself. From leaning up to bulking up, these are the eating plans that work. They teach you how to use the most powerful drug out there, food, to your advantage. I say it all the time, "Anyone can exercise, but only the ones who know HOW to eat make improvements!"

This is followed by the pre and post workout meals, the most important meals in a bodybuilder's day. With this information on utilization of these powerful meals, mass gain is optimized, fat is burned, soreness is reduced and recovery is enhanced! I then cover glycogen supercomensation, a dominant technique in the quest for maximal muscle gain. BTS started out with a full chapter on supplements, but near the end I felt it was more important and beneficial to get the eating plans understood, as this is the true power in a bodybuilder's bag of tricks. I have included a few supplements' in an appendix, and will plan to use the rest in future books.

There is a detailed review of the most successful cardio routine out there, the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) program. There is a section on weight lifting practices, as monotony in the gym will be the death of your goal attainment. Finally, BTS provides some algorithms for putting all the information together for your optimal achievement.
This is something I should look into, I feel like I eat alot but, in reality I'm probably not eating enough.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #20
DieselWeasel
DieselWeasel
will deadlift 600 soon.
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
My Mood: Paranoid
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

I think my all of my favorites have already been posted.

Been reading this one, and almost done with it. Great combination of powerlifting and bodybuilding info, mostly from the golden age of both sports.

The Old School Back Training Bible: Dave Yarnell: 9781469912516: Amazon.com: Books The Old School Back Training Bible: Dave Yarnell: 9781469912516: Amazon.com: Books

This is another good one that I'm currently reading, written by Dr. Squat:

Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach: Frederick C. Hatfield: 9780809270019: Amazon.com: Books Powerlifting: A Scientific Approach: Frederick C. Hatfield: 9780809270019: Amazon.com: Books

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook