Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #1741
dlocas
dlocas
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 1 + 1
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Omega-3
My Mood: Cheerful
dlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good posts

Thanks! So if I get it right, I'd do something like dumbbell presses for sets of 6-10 one week (maybe 2 sessions) and then come in the next week and do 1 session working up to a fairly heavy clean & press set for, say 5-6 reps to see where I'm at. Case in point: my PR set at 165 x 4 happened when I came back from my first Strongman competition (I hadn't done any overhead for a week). So thanks! Maybe some steak with blue cheese might do me good for strength as well
dlocas is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #1742
zerok
zerok
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Lurking
zerok is new to the forumzerok is new to the forum

Hi,
I lately watched how to bench by "Mark Bell" and one thing confused me.

He said to unrack the bar, bring it above approximately the mid-chest, lower it while tucking elbows "bending the bar" to sternum and then reverse motion by flaring the elbows while pressing up and the bar will end up above the "chin/neck".

So if i'm going for reps i find it tricky that the starting position in the first rep is different then the next reps and also tricky to touch the same place each time.

What are your thoughts on this?
zerok is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #1743
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerok View Post
Hi,
I lately watched how to bench by "Mark Bell" and one thing confused me.

He said to unrack the bar, bring it above approximately the mid-chest, lower it while tucking elbows "bending the bar" to sternum and then reverse motion by flaring the elbows while pressing up and the bar will end up above the "chin/neck".

So if i'm going for reps i find it tricky that the starting position in the first rep is different then the next reps and also tricky to touch the same place each time.

What are your thoughts on this?
I made a video recently on bench technique. It teaches this same thing. My reps are the same.

You are rotating the elbows to lockout, not flaring your arms. Bell might not have been clear.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #1744
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlocas View Post
Thanks! So if I get it right, I'd do something like dumbbell presses for sets of 6-10 one week (maybe 2 sessions) and then come in the next week and do 1 session working up to a fairly heavy clean & press set for, say 5-6 reps to see where I'm at. Case in point: my PR set at 165 x 4 happened when I came back from my first Strongman competition (I hadn't done any overhead for a week). So thanks! Maybe some steak with blue cheese might do me good for strength as well
Steak and bleu cheese is always a good choice.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #1745
FlankNW
FlankNW
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
My Mood: Bored
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

Question on your transformation if I may BTB -

You've lost a lot of weight, gained a lot of muscle and upped what you can lift quite a long way. From what I've seen of your training and comments you train a similar way to me - days for each 'big' powerlifting lift and then a lot of assistance exercises.

If I'm eating right, and training in a similar way, do you think lifting lower volumes at high weights on the main lifts with a long rest on those lifts is going to be counterproductive when it comes to using weights to assist fat loss?

I'll try and phrase this better - I train at a gym with a lot of guys who i've found out are VERY good raw powerlifters, they all seem to take 'as much time as they need' for rest when they're training the big lifts.

Do you think training big lifts like this, then going balls to the wall on assistance exercises is a reasonable way to weight train if my goals are to cut fat whilst maintaining a good muscle and strength base?
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #1746
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankNW View Post
Question on your transformation if I may BTB -

You've lost a lot of weight, gained a lot of muscle and upped what you can lift quite a long way. From what I've seen of your training and comments you train a similar way to me - days for each 'big' powerlifting lift and then a lot of assistance exercises.

If I'm eating right, and training in a similar way, do you think lifting lower volumes at high weights on the main lifts with a long rest on those lifts is going to be counterproductive when it comes to using weights to assist fat loss?

I'll try and phrase this better - I train at a gym with a lot of guys who i've found out are VERY good raw powerlifters, they all seem to take 'as much time as they need' for rest when they're training the big lifts.

Do you think training big lifts like this, then going balls to the wall on assistance exercises is a reasonable way to weight train if my goals are to cut fat whilst maintaining a good muscle and strength base?

Lower volume is usually a safe bet when cutting, especially if you are focusing on heavy weight.

After the low volume heavy work I would prefer to see you do rest-pause work for assistance, keeping the pace brisk. I like to limit rest to one minute max on assistance work while cutting. This works as kind of a form of HIT and keeps my heart rate elevated.

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #1747
zerok
zerok
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Fav Supp: Creatine
zerok is new to the forumzerok is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I made a video recently on bench technique. It teaches this same thing. My reps are the same.

You are rotating the elbows to lockout, not flaring your arms. Bell might not have been clear.
Thanks
zerok is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #1748
FlankNW
FlankNW
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
My Mood: Bored
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Lower volume is usually a safe bet when cutting, especially if you are focusing on heavy weight.

After the low volume heavy work I would prefer to see you do rest-pause work for assistance, keeping the pace brisk. I like to limit rest to one minute max on assistance work while cutting. This works as kind of a form of HIT and keeps my heart rate elevated.
This is basically what I do - I'm always questioning my methods, so it's quite reassuring when someone who knows what they're talking about backs you up, thanks very much for the reply
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #1749
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,446, Level: 21 Points: 1,446, Level: 21 Points: 1,446, Level: 21
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

In your 28+ years of lifting, I know you've been a road warrior at various points along the way. How do you find gyms to lift at when you're on the road? I'm moving back to the US after being away for 5 years or so and I have no idea how you iPhone people (young whippersnappers) do it these days.

I'm afraid of...
a) gyms being too expensive
b) gyms only letting you lift if you sign up for a membership
c) gyms not having the equipment I need (i.e. they're full of machines and treadmills).
d) not being able to find the hidden gym right around the corner that does have the equipment I need.

Really all I need is a squat rack, a bench and some heavy weights and I can make it work. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ
Short documentary on BJJ in Moldova: Undocumented Territory
Facebook link
BobbyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #1750
JDGreg
JDGreg
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JDGreg is off to a bad start
Default Nutrition & Training Consult

Hi Steve,

My name is Josh and I was wondering what the best way was to contact you for a consult?

Josh
JDGreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook