Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,461, Level: 47 Points: 5,461, Level: 47 Points: 5,461, Level: 47
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member
Default Interesting Find

Hey I came across this article about women and gym workouts and I was curious what you think about it?

Do Gym Workout Routines For Women Even Work?

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Dray
Dray
is a rep whore!
Max Brawn
Points: 9,456, Level: 65 Points: 9,456, Level: 65 Points: 9,456, Level: 65
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Most of all, I'm automatically suspicious when it comes to articles written by "someone" (who?) with no name, background, images, or whatever given at all. Not even on his/her/their Facebook page, that I could see.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log

Last edited by Dray; 07-10-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
JBWarren70
JBWarren70
Status, what status!?
GymRat
Brawn
Points: 513, Level: 10 Points: 513, Level: 10 Points: 513, Level: 10
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Fav Exercise: Curls brah!
Fav Supp: Skittles, Pizza, Proteinz
My Mood: Breezy
JBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good postsJBWarren70 has made some very good posts

Interesting, that it makes sense, regardless of who wrote the article, and I follow the same opinion even with info given to men.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,461, Level: 47 Points: 5,461, Level: 47 Points: 5,461, Level: 47
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I know who wrote the article .

But that brings up a good point, Dray.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Dray
Dray
is a rep whore!
Max Brawn
Points: 9,456, Level: 65 Points: 9,456, Level: 65 Points: 9,456, Level: 65
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
I know who wrote the article .
Cool. Do tell!

As with articles anywhere online or offline, I believe it does matter - knowing who actually wrote the thing, that is.

And if it's about lifting, say, then I would also appreciate knowing their background wrt lifting, training others (if relevant), and yeah, some pictures of them - or those they've trained, depending - might help as well (if the article has anything to do with aesthetics, fat loss, etc.)

Otherwise, "they" (whoever that is!) might just be talking out their ass. If they're not willing to reveal who they are... the first question would be why.

Gym PRs: Squat 160kg/352.7lbs, Bench 112.5kg/248lbs, Deadlift 220kg/485lbs, Strict Press 72.5kg/159.8lbs

My new training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Sasquats
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,361, Level: 42 Points: 4,361, Level: 42 Points: 4,361, Level: 42
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 10
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

I tend to agree with this article regardless of the author. My wife used to look for women's routines and I'd see what the routine included and was confused. There's a whole lot of "tricep kick backs - 5lbs x 3 sets of 10". I didn't want to say anything though because this was in her early days of going to the gym and for her to have a plan and the confidence to walk into the gym and do her routine was better than crapping all over the searching she did and ruin her confidence and the gym for her. Over time though I was able to convince her to join me in what I was doing by asking her about her workout and I'd say things like "do you feel anything after doing tricep kick backs with 5 lbs? If you don't feel anything then how effective do you think it is?" and then showing her pictures of smoking hot female power lifters to show that lifting heavy won't turn her into a dude with tits.

I think that everyone would benefit from rigorous weight lifting and I feel the best routines for both women and men involves pushing yourself in strength training. The problem is that most women have that same misconception my wife used to have. "I don't want to lift heavy weights, I don't want to look like a bodybuilder." So if you are trying to make money publishing a magazine, a book or a website by creating workout routines for women, most women are going to gravitate towards the magazine that tells you to do 3 sets of 10 with 5lbs rather than the one that tells them to actually try to get stronger. It comes down to women wanting these cute pink and fluffy workouts because they don't know any better so people keep coming up with them for web traffic or magazine sales. Supply and demand.

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
chiroman
chiroman
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: off and on
Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Cool
chiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good posts

I agree with the premise with "womens routines" being bullshit. There is no difference between men and women when it comes to muscle cells and fat cells and what stimulates them to change. Training catered to women seems to be more of a marketing ploy then anything. I have women tell me the want to firm up their butt or legs or whatever ask me what exercise should I do, its always the same answer. Clean up your diet and do some squats. Get off the chrome weights! :-)
chiroman is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,555, Level: 48 Points: 5,555, Level: 48 Points: 5,555, Level: 48
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Mellow
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

I think you could get away with the statement even taking of the "for women" part at the end. Whenever I walk into a commercial gym it is crazy the things you see people all of ages and gender doing. I remember a guy show up one day and he had torn out a page from a muscle mag with Superman's workout (from the last movie). He had to be 30lbs overweight and of course just ended up hurt and discouraged.

The amount of misinformation out there in the name of money and attention is crazy. We've all been victim to it at one point or another.

I knew my wife would never listen to my workout advice because she didn't want to get "big and muscle", just like BigAlFry said above. I happened to run across a woman trainer who was a friend of mine and she had her girls doing 5x5 bench, squat, deadlift plus assistance. The same stuff I had always gently hinted to my wife she should look into. Signed her up and she looks and feels great.

It's amazing how easy the answer really is for everyone to at least get started and see results... but it doesn't grab any headlines.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook