Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Muscle and Brawn Shop > 10/20/Life by Brian Carroll

Notices

10/20/Life by Brian Carroll

Build Strength Beyond Your Wildest Dreams. 10/20/Life: Get Strong NOW

Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #11
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
's legs hurt. Stupid DL suit...
Low man on the totem pole
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27 Points: 2,001, Level: 27
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Amateur Surgeon Champion!
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: A heavy one.
My Mood: Inspired
PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Q:
The following are a couple of issues that I believe a lot of folks struggle with and would like to see answers/opinions:

1. "Butt Wink" in the squat. This seems to be a hot topic in the lifting community. I myself have struggled with this as I believe it has caused some of the lower back issues I am struggling with due to the shear forces it places on the lower back. I have seen the issue addressed many times, but I don't know if anyone has really nailed down the cause.

2. Choosing the optimal squat stance. I read the article "5 reasons why your squat sucks" and Brian Carroll addresses "sitting back" in the squat which utilizes the posterior chain. While I squat raw with a shoulder width stance I have found myself being more quad dominant in order to hit an appropriate depth and attempt to avoid issue No.1 above.

As I get older, cleaning up technique issues and addressing weak points overrule my desire to just lift heavy weight. My ultimate goal is to have longevity in the sport and lift with my son as he grows up

A:Daniel Dalenberg- 1. Lots of causes for butt wink. Tight hips, hamstrings, adductors can all attribute to the problem. So can trunk weaknesses. My recommendation would be to start with the 10/20 warm up and put some focus on getting the hips warmed up. I really like banded add/abduction to get my hips/groin ready to go. Some light stretching of these muscle groups may also be needed to be able to get in position. A heeled shoe can help and slightly adjusting stance width can make a difference too.

2. Optimal squat stance- wherever you are strongest. Wherever you can stay upright (chest/head up), knees out and hips back and squat big is optimal. Takes experimentation. Not all of us is Chuck V. squatting toes to the mono nor the opposite. Experiment and once you find your sweet spot be consistent with it

Brian Carroll- we are all build differently ie deep or shallow hips, long or short femurs! I would start somewhere in the middle and make sure to keep your back from rounding or folding under. Not good over a long period of time
PhillyDev is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

PhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machinePhillyDev is a lifting machine

Q:If you are 100% brand new to geared lifting would you want to try an hit the gear in off season, or save it for Pre-contest?

A:Brian Carroll- Great question: I would not do 20 weeks in gear. It all depends on your experience so here is what I would do. Work high boards for a few weeks before you start your precontest(starting at 15 weeks out) straps down on squat and DL and get used to the gear, then when 10 weeks starts, work toward following the % and such and move forward accordingly.

Q Pt. 2:On that subject, how would one go about setting percentages to work with if they don't have any geared numbers?

A Pt. 2:Brian Carroll- You have to make an educated guess. I think a safe number would be adding 10-15% over raw numbers and working like that. Let me know it goes. BUT - again - having someone in your corner to coach you through the process like Jonathan Byrd, Zane Geeting-Esquire, Chris Bartl or the like is key. They can help you step by step, because it WILL be a process
Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

Q:A couple of questions:
1. I have absolute bear paws for hands - thick, meaty palms and dwarfish fingers. I've been giving hook grip a go for the past 8-9 months and at this point, have to face the reality: I just can't ever lift a significant amount of way this way. Not because of the pain (I just have callouses there now and got used to the pain), but because my hands are essentially just palms with little sausage protrusions. Is doing over-under bad for my back and can I still get the lifter's wedge with it?

2. I've read Dr. McGill's opinon about powerlifting belts and have never used a belt before, so have no personal experience. Is it a necessary tool?

A:Brian Carroll- 1. Yes, you can do no problem, you use your lats to wedge, so its easier to use overhand, but still doable. Its NOT as good for your back, but most of us cannot manage hook. 2. Belt makes you stronger and able to lift more. If you want to do lift more, then wear one. Mcgill's studies show that they dont prevent injury. So do with that as you may. But make sure to go to http://www.powerrackmedia.com/ to "bullet proof your core"

Brandon Smitley- What Brian said. I have SUPER small hands (I can't even hook grip a bar) and they have some good meat on them. I've used a switch grip for such a long time, and have had no problems. But like Brian said, you've GOT to keep your lats locked in and abs braced. Best thing you can do is train your grip strength on the assistance day, and pull double overhand on your deads as long as you can during warm ups. The DOH shrugs Brian uses area also a good staple to build up the grip. Otherwise try hex DB hold while holding the ends, CoC holds (not reps), and some fat gripz on your back assistance in the offseason
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
BrianCarroll
BrianCarroll
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 270, Level: 5 Points: 270, Level: 5 Points: 270, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
BrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good posts

Thank you!

I appreciate your help, Shane.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,170, Level: 91 Points: 21,170, Level: 91 Points: 21,170, Level: 91
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Default More round table Q&A with Brian Carroll, Scott Paltos, and Jonathan Byrd

1. Bulking on a limited budget
2. Low bar vs high bar squats
3. 3 must haves for a meet director to run a good meet

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
PhillyDev
PhillyDev
Uber Brawn

I'll hit up the first part as well as the round table discussion. Thanks Byrd!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Ive seen mcgill say people with deep hips shouldn't pull from the floor. What exactly is a deep hip, and how do you asses?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ive seen mcgill say people with deep hips shouldn't pull from the floor. What exactly is a deep hip, and how do you asses?
You got me on this one, ill ask Brian to swing in or tell me that one. Some questions are above my pay grade haha!

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn

Proudly sponsored by