Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #551
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopp View Post
Thanks i moved the bar away from me on purpose but i guess that was wrong.

I will take the video from a different angle next time to get a better view. I think I rushed because i got to phyced up for the lift. I will try to stay on my heals more thank you.
The pull was pretty solid. With sumo you generally want to have the bar right on your shins at the start. Another thing I noticed was that your hips aren't as externally rotated as they could be. Point your toes out a little more and push your knees out to the side, then drive the bar off the floor leading with your head and upper back.

The squat, I couldn't really see. I'm sure I could pick something out for you but need a better angle. From the front is often good. Good intensity though.

Gym PRs:
Raw w/wraps
650/455/635

My current log:
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...494#post458494
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #552
jopp
jopp
I am weird
Brawn
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Inspired
jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
The pull was pretty solid. With sumo you generally want to have the bar right on your shins at the start. Another thing I noticed was that your hips aren't as externally rotated as they could be. Point your toes out a little more and push your knees out to the side, then drive the bar off the floor leading with your head and upper back.

The squat, I couldn't really see. I'm sure I could pick something out for you but need a better angle. From the front is often good. Good intensity though.
Thank you I will use this advice next time.
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

You need to Build, Do not test all of the time.

Sometimes your strongest attribute becomes an obstacle

Training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...026#post490026
jopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #553
Stienthor
Stienthor
Loving Life
Brawn
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10

Training Exp: with weights 1+ yr
Training Type: 5x5
My Mood: Happy
Stienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good posts

wife is insisting I ask you to excuse the mess. it an old shed I have that is getting winterized this summer for yr around use

LOL. She just finished watching the video and is telling me to ask forgivness on what I am saying. She is embarrassed for me right now, but those are just my mental cues in an attempt to get my form right. I usually use other words but my daughter was doing the taping of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyPcGlLw2NA
Stienthor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #554
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stienthor View Post
wife is insisting I ask you to excuse the mess. it an old shed I have that is getting winterized this summer for yr around use

LOL. She just finished watching the video and is telling me to ask forgivness on what I am saying. She is embarrassed for me right now, but those are just my mental cues in an attempt to get my form right. I usually use other words but my daughter was doing the taping of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyPcGlLw2NA
Ask your daughter not to bob the camera up and down while you squat, lol. Everything looks pretty good. Good foot and knee angle and a good neutral but slightly arched back, and it looks like good depth too. The one thing you need to lock in is your hold. You're getting away with a loose upper back because the weight is submaximal and your hold is higher, but you won't keep getting away with it. Get your chest as big as possible, pull your shoulder blades together and drive your traps into the bar as you prepare to unrack the bar. Then as you descend try to point your elbows straight towards the ground. That will keep you from getting bent over and will also help you maintain tightness throughout the lift.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #555
Stienthor
Stienthor
Loving Life
Brawn
Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10 Points: 548, Level: 10

Training Exp: with weights 1+ yr
Training Type: 5x5
My Mood: Happy
Stienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good posts

been working on the whole elbow down thing. will work on the other stuff

Thankyou for your help. I am gonna have a DL vid coming soon. That one I feel like I am butchering so really need a critique on it.
Stienthor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #556
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stienthor View Post
been working on the whole elbow down thing. will work on the other stuff

Thankyou for your help. I am gonna have a DL vid coming soon. That one I feel like I am butchering so really need a critique on it.
I have to remind myself about my elbows all the time. It's easy to forget. Look forward to seeing your pull.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #557
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,977, Level: 40 Points: 3,977, Level: 40 Points: 3,977, Level: 40
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Can some people take a look at my awful conventional? I've been sumo for the last ~1.5 years or so. Making the transition back to conventional has me finding it difficult to get into a good position (I think). I don't even really know what good position is for conventional anymore.

Thanks!

Best Total 645kg

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-26-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #558
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,472,771, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,771, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,771, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Can some people take a look at my awful conventional? I've been sumo for the last ~1.5 years or so. Making the transition back to conventional has me finding it difficult to get into a good position (I think). I don't even really know what good position is for conventional anymore.

Thanks!

It looks good to me. I just make sure before every rep that I tighten my lower back. It's my way of making sure I don't start with a rounded lower back.

Overall I can't see any issues. Looks a lot like my pulling.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #559
Paradox
Paradox
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,977, Level: 40 Points: 3,977, Level: 40 Points: 3,977, Level: 40
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It looks good to me. I just make sure before every rep that I tighten my lower back. It's my way of making sure I don't start with a rounded lower back.

Overall I can't see any issues. Looks a lot like my pulling.
It just seems so rounded overall to me, but I guess compared to sumo it is. Do you (or anyone else?) have any tips for flattening the back overall?

Any tips on locking that lower back in?
Best Total 645kg
Paradox is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #560
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,520, Level: 90 Points: 20,520, Level: 90 Points: 20,520, Level: 90

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Thanks!

You will get a lot of different opinions, but to me it looks like your lats are not locked in well, Also I would tell you to try to lead with the head more (thats more a personal preference though).

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook