Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #31
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,481,040, Level: 100 Points: 1,481,040, Level: 100 Points: 1,481,040, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroman View Post
It begs the question what the hell are you going to the gym for? This whole situation with "modern fitness clubs" really makes you want to start up a your own string of clubs that are geared towards lifters.
Exactly?

Want to look good? This isn't your gym.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #32
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,682, Level: 31 Points: 2,682, Level: 31 Points: 2,682, Level: 31
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Off topic, but the same dude (Kali) on Who's Still Standing...

One of the funniest TV segments in recent memory.

Kali Muscle | Who's Still Standing Game Show - YouTube
Too many months to think about..lol
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #33
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,481,040, Level: 100 Points: 1,481,040, Level: 100 Points: 1,481,040, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Feberary feberary

Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Kyle Aaron
Kyle Aaron
has no status.
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
My Mood: Relaxed
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
It begs the question what the hell are you going to the gym for? This whole situation with "modern fitness clubs" really makes you want to start up a your own string of clubs that are geared towards lifters.
Think of how much the gym costs to run. Now take out the 3,000 non-lifters. Count how many people are left. Now divide the cost of running that gym between all the lifters.

You're not running away, you're getting your chequebook out, right? Right?

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #35
chiroman
chiroman
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: off and on
My Mood: Cool
chiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
Think of how much the gym costs to run. Now take out the 3,000 non-lifters. Count how many people are left. Now divide the cost of running that gym between all the lifters.

You're not running away, you're getting your chequebook out, right? Right?
Ya I have my own business. I get overhead. Your overhead is were you work. Its a small business just like any other. The main thing with clubs is volume. These none lifters you speak about are spread through how many gyms as well as crossfit. I'm not saying crossft isn't lifting but it is a group training structure which appeals to these non lifters. PF is hitting a niche, basing everything on insecure people. What I'm saying there is an opportunity to market to people that are not basing they're club preference on insecurity and who are interested in serious training. Gold may not be that way now but that's how it was built. 24 hr fitness also developed as a lifting gym.
chiroman is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #36
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76 Points: 13,658, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Ya I have my own business. I get overhead. Your overhead is were you work. Its a small business just like any other. The main thing with clubs is volume. These none lifters you speak about are spread through how many gyms as well as crossfit. I'm not saying crossft isn't lifting but it is a group training structure which appeals to these non lifters. PF is hitting a niche, basing everything on insecure people. What I'm saying there is an opportunity to market to people that are not basing they're club preference on insecurity and who are interested in serious training. Gold may not be that way now but that's how it was built. 24 hr fitness also developed as a lifting gym.
But when you market to a niche you have to watch out for the point of diminishing returns. Many gyms do a nice job of riding the line where they provide what lifters need, but still create an environment that appeals to the cardio bunnies. I used to train in a gym in my hometown that took old, out of the way facilities (the kind that wouldn't work for retail at all), then repurposed them as gyms by building a bunch of separate rooms that separated people doing different things. If you wanted to do cardio or classes then you could successfully avoid the area with the power racks. This also allowed them to play louder, heavier music in the lifting area without scaring the nice little old ladies in the other areas. The result of this plan was a very well equipped gym that had multiple, easy to access locations around the area, and insanely low annual rates at $120.

If you can be everything to everyone, that's far better as a business than to force yourself into a niche. There are gyms out there that are designed and marketed for hardcore lifters, but they aren't making much money and are usually run as side businesses. Metroflex is an exception, but even with a world-renowned gym like MF it isn't making anyone rich.
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 05-24-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #37
chiroman
chiroman
has no status.
Brawn

chiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good posts

Neither is planet fitness. Gyms notoriously have thin margins and I disagree with trying to be everything to everyone is the best way. In business there is a several ways to be successful , what makes the difference is the goal in mind. My point is there is a void in the fitness industry that is not being filled. Opportunity there, that's what I'm saying.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #38
Kyle Aaron
Kyle Aaron
has no status.
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
My Mood: Relaxed
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

This reminds me of when people talk about how easy schoolteachers have got it. It's so easy to do well... yet the person saying so hasn't leapt in to do it. Funny that.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #39
chiroman
chiroman
has no status.
Brawn

Ya alot of people like to talk when they have no experience either way. Internet warriors. Still got tell ya how its done when they've never done shit. Haha funny.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #40
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Share with Facebook