Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #21
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Geared lifters don't last long? I lifted raw, not competing for about 30 years. Then I got into gear for benching only. Hitting 8+ at almost 59 years old with the support of a single ply shirt. I guess it comes down to what you thing "long" is.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

On the drugs piece...I read on another forum that a lifter was using 100mg dianabol a day for 8 weeks, then 300mg a day for another two weeks, then 500mg a day during meet week and 900mg on meet day! I'm not sure if this lifter was raw or geared, but I don't really think that is relevant.

I dont know if that person is on this forum as well, but I highly doubt it as most people on this forum have a brain in their head. I understand pushing human limits, but how long can a person expect to keep something like this up? I hear what JB is saying regarding drugs, and I can see that being the limiting factor for a lot of lifters in this age of asronomical megadosing. The body can only handle so much whether that is skeletal loading or exogenous hormone abuse. With that type of abuse, the individual eventually comes to a fork in the road where they will have to choose continuous abuse and pain and an early grave, or to quit the sport. Since going off drugs to continue lifting is generally not an option that comes to mind for this type (in my opinion), I think most people wind up dropping out.

Maybe this could explain the phenomenon we are talking about in this thread? Or at least be a contributing factor?
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #23
chiroman
chiroman
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 609, Level: 12 Points: 609, Level: 12 Points: 609, Level: 12
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: off and on
Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Cool
chiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Geared lifters don't last long? I lifted raw, not competing for about 30 years. Then I got into gear for benching only. Hitting 8+ at almost 59 years old with the support of a single ply shirt. I guess it comes down to what you thing "long" is.
That is what I love to hear. I trained like an idiot when I was younger, I sure like most everyone else, but now days much more disciplined and it feels good. I think your body should operate fairly well until you die. Ryano has a couple of years on me so I've got time to get my lifts to his level. Nice.
chiroman is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,094, Level: 77 Points: 14,094, Level: 77 Points: 14,094, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
On the drugs piece...I read on another forum that a lifter was using 100mg dianabol a day for 8 weeks, then 300mg a day for another two weeks, then 500mg a day during meet week and 900mg on meet day! I'm not sure if this lifter was raw or geared, but I don't really think that is relevant.

I dont know if that person is on this forum as well, but I highly doubt it as most people on this forum have a brain in their head. I understand pushing human limits, but how long can a person expect to keep something like this up? I hear what JB is saying regarding drugs, and I can see that being the limiting factor for a lot of lifters in this age of asronomical megadosing. The body can only handle so much whether that is skeletal loading or exogenous hormone abuse. With that type of abuse, the individual eventually comes to a fork in the road where they will have to choose continuous abuse and pain and an early grave, or to quit the sport. Since going off drugs to continue lifting is generally not an option that comes to mind for this type (in my opinion), I think most people wind up dropping out.

Maybe this could explain the phenomenon we are talking about in this thread? Or at least be a contributing factor?
Definitely a contributing factor. Longevity comes from knowing how to push yourself just enough to improve without going past what your body can take. That philosophy has to be applied to gear as well as training. A big part of the reason that people think there's a steroid epidemic is that people get stupid with it. People get results when they're on, then they assume that the only way to keep getting stronger cycle after cycle is to increase the dosage.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
Kyle Aaron
Kyle Aaron
has no status.
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
My Mood: Relaxed
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
That's great.

30 years of raw lifting. But how long have you been in equipped lifting? Remember I said: equipped lifters seem to have a few years, raw a few decades. This is not from me, but from an accomplished equipped lifter, you can listen to his whole interview here; feel free to message Joe Ladnier and tell him he's wrong.

Do you think your 30 years of raw lifting might have built a useful base for your equipped lifting, a base which someone with 2-3 years of raw lifting wouldn't have?

Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #26
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Since 1987
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

My husband has been lifting equipped for 35 years. He still holds the world record for 50-55 squat for his weight class.
His training partner has been lifting geared even longer. He holds several world records in more than one weight class and division.

Raw or geared, it's know-how that keeps you in the game.

We've owned a PL gym for 20 years or so now, with both raw and geared lifters.
On a competitive level at least, the geared lifters have longer careers.
Or at least that has been our experience.

Last edited by Beverly McD; 05-26-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook