Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #1181
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 25,372, Level: 96 Points: 25,372, Level: 96 Points: 25,372, Level: 96
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

S M A S H

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #1182
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,599, Level: 97 Points: 26,599, Level: 97 Points: 26,599, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Vid all your working sets of squats, from a direct side view, like I do at home. You will get a great view of your bar path, which should be almost vertical straight up and down - if bar path is bang on, pretty much your whole squat is bang on. Sometimes vid from the front as well to check knees moving <> and stability.

Hope all goes well mate!
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #1183
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,532, Level: 42 Points: 4,532, Level: 42 Points: 4,532, Level: 42
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Inspired
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
S M A S H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Vid all your working sets of squats, from a direct side view, like I do at home. You will get a great view of your bar path, which should be almost vertical straight up and down - if bar path is bang on, pretty much your whole squat is bang on. Sometimes vid from the front as well to check knees moving <> and stability.

Hope all goes well mate!
Thanks very much guys!

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #1184
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

Terrible day yesterday. I don't know what happened but it was just dismal. I made a lot of mistakes and I was in no shape to be competing. I need to take time off then go back to the drawing board and rethink everything. I was just about ready to quit yesterday. I slept okiush the night before but was pissing sweat all night as the room was way too warm. Definitely factored in in me coming in much much lighter than expected. Woke up with my lower back/ hips locked up and didn't think I would be competiting at all but after going all that way, I just did a lot of foam roller work and was getting better so hoped in the car and headed the rest of the way. I was still limping from shooting pain down my left leg when I weighed in ( 104.5 if I recall correctly, which was way lighter than expected) and spent more time rolling my hips after that and eventually felt fairly ok and was much looser. Squat warm up went well to be honest and my bar position is getting much better as my elbows felt great all day, even after a bad fail, which normally hurts. anyway last warm up of 200kg came up fast enough to slip a bit on my back and actually felt light enough.
opener 222.5kg easy money. no problem at all. 3 white lights and a 2.5kg comp PR
230kg fast and easy but an inch high I was told. I was happy enough though as it was close enough and the weight flew up and felt easy as fuck. was sure the 3rd attempt would fly
230kg depth call waited until I was a few inches below to make sure the strict refs would pass me but with my sumo stance that depth can't be done and when I hit the bottom I stayed there. Took a while to be able to walk off the platform as I was sore as fuck from going so low with 230kg on my back. Really pissed off with myself as 230 at least should have been mine today with 3 whites but 240 would have gone based on attempt 2 if I got the depth right. So that is one area to work on. Lots of vids to come every week or so now to make sure I can hit depth without a call so I can just bounce out of the hole like I did on attempt 2.
Got a nice breakfast after this and got ready to bench. Heard when warming up that the pauses were super long on the day for some reason ( one guy blacked out) so I dropped my opener to be sure, which was a good call.

bench
140kg pause was brutal even with this light weight but went up easy, 3 whites I think.
150kg again long pause, arse came up on the press and I told the spotters to just take it as there was no hope it was passing.
150kg switched to wdie grip to hopefully make the press out easier, fail. went up half way and I knew it was staying there. fuck! so 15kg off my PR and 20kg off my goal. The long pauses were what got me but 160 wasnt there today no matter the pause. Very poor and I was pissed. I really just felt like giving up as my bench is always shit.

anyway, very short rest then warm up for deadlifts.

deadlift, felt weird on warm ups and I dropped my opener to make sure I took 2nd in the open.
250kg easy pull, but my right hand opened on the way up, fecking grip is still fucked! got it with 3 whites but some miracle after closing my hand again at the top.
275kg fail on the floor. That was embarrassing. Really expected much more today but I guess with my back how it was in the morning this was too much to expect. But that is 3 comps in a row where I was 20kg under my comp PR and way off my goal. I never failed a weight on the floor like this either really so this shocked me. I just had nothing. This was the point I was just mentally done. I wondered if I can do this anymore. I really relied on my deadlift in the past and it seems to just be gone. I am very sick of this and this is the main reason for a rethink. I will see what I can come up with. I will see what happens. I will take time off and see how I feel about the whole thing. Got 2nd in the 110kg open which was fine but if I had been on form and not fucked up so much I had a great chance to win and beat a very good lifter I look up to a lot in the process as he was off on the day. Fucking disaster and very frustrating. The plan I wrote last week is still there and I will think about diets to get my weight up to a lean 110kg as soon as possible too. I need to let my back heal up first as I couldn't walk this morning for ages as putting weight on my left leg was a no go. I likely will get back to training next week alright and we will see what happens. I will decide if I am getting any better sometime in mid summer and will decide if I will be competing again this year. Meh, I just want to put this memory behind me as failing so many should be easy attempts is brutal and barely missing bombing out. Had a nice time chatting with people though and had a few laughs. Huge thanks to the spotters I couldn't find after my flight on squats for catching me on attempt 3 and doing so well enough so I didnt get any pain from the bar rolling backwards to hurt my elbows.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #1185
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Really, really bummed to hear about all the troubles and frustration at the meet Tom. Meets are supposed to be fun.

We all know how great of lifter you really are. Even pro athletes go thru things like this, maybe call them slumps, but frustration mounts, and once it does, you are mentally done. Add this to your body not really being not ready to lift such heavy ass weight, and the result is what it was.

Like I have mentioned already, I think you need to stop chasing numbers during training. I also think you need to incorporate proper aand timely recovery and deloads. I see it all the time around here - deloads seem to be something nobody thinks they need and people chase PR's. I only PR'd once really during JB's program, and that was a 495 squat, really by the crews hands - so it was accidental really. JB didn't once have me max out on deads or bench. He programs it so I peak at the meet.

You must look after your body and health first, and then training, and then everything will fall into place.

You may also wish to consider hiring a pro coach, like J Byrd, to do your programming. Money very well spent, and when you look at it, a big bargain.

Hope this helps in some way, because I care.

Gym PR's:
Age 50

Last edited by Squatter; 05-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #1186
ravimolasaria
ravimolasaria
Wanted to be as strong as a polar bear ...
Max Brawn
Points: 25,372, Level: 96 Points: 25,372, Level: 96 Points: 25,372, Level: 96
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
My Mood: Yeehaw
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

It was just a bad day Tom ... we all know what you are capable of ... use this meet as a benchmark for upcoming ones ... YOU WILL BOUNCE BACK W/OUT ANY DOUBTS ... btw ... were you able to qualify for euros or not ? ... Keep smashing brother

Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #1187
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Really, really bummed to hear about all the troubles and frustration at the meet Tom. Meets are supposed to be fun.

We all know how great of lifter you really are. Even pro athletes go thru things like this, maybe call them slumps, but frustration mounts, and once it does, you are mentally done. Add this to your body not really being not ready to lift such heavy ass weight, and the result is what it was.

Like I have mentioned already, I think you need to stop chasing numbers during training. I also think you need to incorporate proper aand timely recovery and deloads. I see it all the time around here - deloads seem to be something nobody thinks they need and people chase PR's. I only PR'd once really during JB's program, and that was a 495 squat, really by the crews hands - so it was accidental really. JB didn't once have me max out on deads or bench. He programs it so I peak at the meet.

You must look after your body and health first, and then training, and then everything will fall into place.

You may also wish to consider hiring a pro coach, like J Byrd, to do your programming. Money very well spent, and when you look at it, a big bargain.

Hope this helps in some way, because I care.
Thanks very much man! You are very right! I strayed from my program to chase numbers in the run up to this comp instead of just progressing slowly and hammering speed the way I used to. I am going back to how I used to train and everything is set up better and I have my diet laid out properly again, and I will follow it properly now. I am very determined to do well next time and have a big plan. I am getting proper help this time too which will help. Training with one of the best drug free Irish guys ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
It was just a bad day Tom ... we all know what you are capable of ... use this meet as a benchmark for upcoming ones ... YOU WILL BOUNCE BACK W/OUT ANY DOUBTS ... btw ... were you able to qualify for euros or not ? ... Keep smashing brother
Thanks man! All ready to go mentally again now! This was the euros man! Full power euros didnt go well but my next big comp is the euro single lifts and I will be hitting huge numbers by then.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #1188
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

Great night tonight, went in to the gym just to loosen up and have some fun. Ended up getting a load of coaching from two excellent lifters, probably the best drug free irish lifter ever and a guy with a huge huge single ply equipped bench ( 310kg) Brought in my squat stance but to a comfortable level and with light weight working on good form and bounce out of the hole. Felt great and actually loosened my back up even though it was really sore at the start of the session. went up to 180 for 5 normal stance to loosen up and then down to 100 for loads and loads of reps to practice my form. The changes have made a big difference. I was super fast and it felt comfortable and depth was much easier tot get. I worked on it until I was hitting it everytime at ease. I will work up slowly but as fast as I can with perfect form until I am a hitting my old numbers with better depth and have a huge new max for the next comp in september. I was told that I am going to be a very good squatter and also got some compliments on my apparently very large legs.
Bench up next for some tech tweaks. Loads of sets of reps at 100kg and changing more stuff everytime. By the end I had it perfect and it felt so much better. the last set of 15 at 100 was the easier I have ever done. Worked on keeping my shoulder blades really tightly pulled together and then pushing my chest up into the bar at the bottom before pressing. My grip was a bit wider than before and everything just felt better. All reps were just getting easier and easier. They had me holding the bar more over my thumb than the top of my hand like I used to too which made an immediate difference. If I am free on Saturday and noone needs me to do some baling then I will be training with the beast again. Amazing watching him tonight as he still isn't going mad heavy for him yet but what he did was just awesome. 235kg ass to grass for 9 reps with maybe another grinder in the tank. Fucking hell than was crazy. the form never broke down either every rep just like the one before. Learned a lot from him already, hoping to be able to squat with his form at my next comp. He has never failed a squat in a comp. never gets called on depth as he literally couldn't go any lower.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #1189
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

Great day today! Really enjoyed training. Having a good mentor has made a huge difference. Still going light right bow but will be building up quickly. The main focus now is building my speed up. James told me he wants me to get really fast out of the bottom of the squat with my new stance and great depth. Don't need to be grinding and slowing down. I have decided to drop my sessions down to 4 or 5 a week now instead of 6. I will be switching up a few things to make sure I am well recovered and fast and loose for every session now. It should see me make huge giains in power. anyway

paused speed squat with around 2 second pauses I was being told what to do all the time so hard to say but good long pauses.
60kg 10
100kg 6
140kg 3
140kg 3
140kg 2
140kg 2
140kg 2

all super deep and I was getting faster the more I did. My legs were blown up after this despite the super light weight. James used 200 for his sets and the speed was just unbelievable. I can't describe how fast these were moving and were actually accelerating all the time from bottom the top. He said that I will be building mine slowly just to keep the speed high. I could do more weight but and it would go up for reps but would be too slow and speed will make me much better once we get heavy weight on the bar. He said around 185kg for these by my next comp in September and that should see 240 go at super speed in comp. We will see what I can do by then.

stiff leg deadlift
60kg 5
100kg 5
140kg 5
180kg 5
220kg 2
220kg 2
220kg 2
220kg 2
done. All reps done fully from the floor stiff legged. Felt awesome and was complimented on my deadlift strength to be able to stiff leg 220kg at relative ease.

fixed barbell curl
50kg 10
50kg 10
50kg 10
50kg 8
50kg 8
50kg 8
35kg 12

mcgill chin ups
10 reps in 5 minutes.

hyper extensions
bodyweight 10
really tough but done.

More to come Monday, then another big squat session on Tuesday. Can't wait! My new stance, bar position and depth is really making me love squatting. I am getting super fast and never need to worry about depth again.Should build up quickly. Really enjoyed myself today and cant wait to get cracking properly next week. Less sessions should make me eager for every session too. Felt really nice to hear I have rakes of potential too. As drug free powerlifting goes that is like being told you have potential by zydrunas savickas. Got a new mp3 player today for a real bargin price, 8 gb memory with a camera so I can take videos more often in the gym now too.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #1190
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Nice too see you with a coach/mentor and getting back on track. Man, I knew you trained often, but I didn't realize it was usually 6 days per week. Even 5 is too much - 4 is just right - one day for each lift and then an auxiliary day. This is what JB said to do, along with my crew who concurred.

Hope training continues so well!

Gym PR's:
Age 50

2 members found this post helpful.