Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
CaseyB1987
CaseyB1987
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,987, Level: 26 Points: 1,987, Level: 26 Points: 1,987, Level: 26
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cool
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
easier said than done.
poor uneducated families are gonna send their kids out to school with nothing, or
a bunch of crap
True, Poor families are faced with tough decisions.

You have to feed your family for a week, but you only have (x)amount of money.

What are you gonna' buy for your family, $6 for (3) all natural granola bars or pay $3 for a Mega Family sized pack of (24)Jumbo Honey Bunns?

Which will last longer?

If your broke you just don't have a ton of options, unless your willing to give up other things.

The real problem (I think) is that people care more about wealth/money then they do about their own health.

Money comes first, health comes second. Sad...
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #32
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
True, Poor families are faced with tough decisions.

You have to feed your family for a week, but you only have (x)amount of money.

What are you gonna' buy for your family, $6 for (3) all natural granola bars or pay $3 for a Mega Family sized pack of (24)Jumbo Honey Bunns?

Which will last longer?

If your broke you just don't have a ton of options, unless your willing to give up other things.

The real problem (I think) is that people care more about wealth/money then they do about their own health.

Money comes first, health comes second. Sad...
I agree with this to a certain extent. But why take the time and effort to feed your kids when you know someone else is going to do this for you. After all, this might require not getting your nails done, not having a nice set of wheels or a stereo in your car. Might have to give up the movie channel's on the cable TV. Let's not suggest anyone give up their weed and liquor.

My frame of reference on this is I grew up poor in the inner city, and currently am employed by an organization which deals predominantly with the poor of our community.

It is all about priorities in a good many cases. I am all for assisting those who can not do for themselves. But something I have learned over the years is there is a difference between a poor family and a financially broke family. Poor is a mindset, while financially broke is just a status to be overcome. I had the good fortune to be raised by parents who taught us that just because we had little money, it did not mean we had to be poor.

My community feeds free lunches to the kids as well as free breakfast. When school is over for the summer, they continue this program during the summer break. And it keeps growing and growing every year.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #33
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Geezer - I come from a similar background, and I agree in part with your point.
but I knew some kids who had alcoholic parents & some junkie parents.
In our primary schools (5 -12year olds), we have have a basic free lunch
carton of milk & a sandwich. this was a key meal for these kids, for a lot of them this might be the only proper meal that day.
Why take from these kids

it is ultimately the parents fault, but there has to be something for these kids - IMO

anyway this is kinda going off the point, could be whole topic by itself.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #34
JTM811
JTM811
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good postsJTM811 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerDude View Post
I agree with this to a certain extent. But why take the time and effort to feed your kids when you know someone else is going to do this for you. After all, this might require not getting your nails done, not having a nice set of wheels or a stereo in your car. Might have to give up the movie channel's on the cable TV. Let's not suggest anyone give up their weed and liquor.

My frame of reference on this is I grew up poor in the inner city, and currently am employed by an organization which deals predominantly with the poor of our community.

It is all about priorities in a good many cases. I am all for assisting those who can not do for themselves. But something I have learned over the years is there is a difference between a poor family and a financially broke family. Poor is a mindset, while financially broke is just a status to be overcome. I had the good fortune to be raised by parents who taught us that just because we had little money, it did not mean we had to be poor.

My community feeds free lunches to the kids as well as free breakfast. When school is over for the summer, they continue this program during the summer break. And it keeps growing and growing every year.
Very good post and outlook on things. I agree with what you're saying. Part of the problem the government is creating is making being poor a lifestyle choice/mentality. Little is being done in this country to help eradicate that mindset, instead the government just throws money at a problem expecting it to get resolved but instead it continues to compound it.

Two of my favorite quotes:

"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else." Adrian Rogers

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation." Adrian Rogers
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #35
GeezerDude
GeezerDude
Stronger than yesterday. Weaker than tomorrow
GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
anyway this is kinda going off the point, could be whole topic by itself.
I think it is still on point, but grant you that it could steer into a topic all in it's own. The reason I say it is still on point is we have kids and parents in my community who complain about what their kids are being, or not being fed, but will not bother to pack even a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and maybe some kind of treat for their kids.

I know a lot of these kids would not get anything nutritious from home if anything at all. Therefore I would never suggest stopping the lunch and breakfast programs in their entirety. However, as a community we are also enabling the parents in not taking responsibility for their children. Which also opens the door for the government mandating what the schools feed them.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook