Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #1471
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Hey Mr. Shaw, quick question. Why is it that you also put curls with shoulder work in the splits that you design?

Always appreciate the answers and advice BTB!
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #1472
RudeCane
RudeCane
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

RudeCane is new to the forumRudeCane is new to the forum

Hey bro, I saw your video on those power shrugs from hell!!! Look epic, want to start doing them to blow up my traps and upper back. How should I program them based on my routine? I have a shoulder day and a back day, on the shoulder day I might do some shrugs at the end but I can never go very heavy on them, also on my back day I already do rack pulls. I'm at 405 for 5. Should I add these power shrugs in on shoulder day or swap my rack pulls out for these? I've made some good gains from these racks I wouldn't want to upset the whole applecart now, lmao.

I also messaged you on FB a bit more detailed so you can just respond here, thanks so much man
RudeCane is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #1473
CaseyB1987
CaseyB1987
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cool
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Help with Routine

Hey BTB, First off I just want to say Thank You for all your help and support. And a big thanks for that article on “What is real world strength”. That is the most helpful article I’ve ever read.

I wanted to ask if you could help with my training. I started running a 5x5 routine about 7 months ago, and about 5 weeks back I decided I wanted to try going heavier. So I switched it up and started doing 8x3, at least it sounded good. The first couple weeks everything went OK, but now my lower back’s starting to take a beating. At first I thought “just suck it up and deal with it” but at some point it goes from being tough to just being stupid. I think I bit off more than I could chew, that’s what I get for making up my own routine.

I know I should probably switch to something else before I “snap my shit up”, but I don’t know what to do. I want to stick with a Fullbody routine for sure. I thought about going back to a 5x5 but I kinda' got bored with it, that’s why I changed it. I started looking at some HLM Fullbody articles you wrote on Muscle & Strength. And I think I’d like to give HLM a try. But I’m not sure how to structure it.

What I do know is I like heavy deadlifts and Power Shrugs. Deadlift is my favorite, but (barbell bench press) I could take it or leave it. Just being honest, most guys are obsessed with bench press, but it’s my least favorite. I guess because I always train alone (no spotter). But I really enjoy (strict) Overhead Press and Dumbbell Benching.

I had thought about doing Squats on the heavy day and lite day, just tweak the rep ranges, and do heavy deadlifts on Friday. But I’d rather get some advice from someone with a lot more experience.

If it helps you, my goals are pretty simple.

1. Get strong
2. Build Muscle
3. Get body fat down to something healthier like (18%)

I don’t plan on ever competing in anything.

Any help you could give would be Awesome.

Thanks
Casey

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 03-22-2014 at 08:34 AM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #1474
CaseyB1987
CaseyB1987
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28 Points: 2,280, Level: 28
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: Less than a year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cool
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Help with Routine part 2

Yo BTB, could you please take a look at this HLM routine and tell me what you think.

This is an addition to the previous posting about HLM routines. I looked at your article "Build your own HLM Fullbody" on M&S, and this is what I cooked up.

I decided to do heavy deadlift's & power shrugs on the moderate day, so its really more of a half medium half heavy day.

I chose incline bench over flat bench for heavy day because of 2 reasons

#1. I train alone and if i fail, it will be easier to get the weight off of me

#2. Benches at the fitness center don't have safety's

**And I'd like to do (good mornings) more often but i dont know where to work them in

----------------------------------------------------------------------
**Heavy Day**
Squat 3x5
Incline Bench Press 3x5
Dumbbell Rows 3x5
Military Press 3x5
EZ Bar Curls 2x8-12
Close Grip Bench 2x8-12
Weighted Sit ups 3x15-25

**Light Day**
Squat 3x10
Dumbell Flys 3x12-15
Seated Cable Rows 3x12-15
Upright Rows 3x12-15
Leg Curls 3x12-15
Barbell Shrugs 3x8-12
Cable Push-down 2x12-15
Concentration Curls 2x12-15

**Medium Day**
(Heavy) Deadlift 3x5
Power Shrugs 3x5
Military Press 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x15-20
Dumbbell Bench 3x8-12
EZ Bar Curls 2x8-12
Close Grip Bench 2x8-12
Good Mornings 3x8-10
Abs when possible 3x15-25

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have to change the order of some exercise because of the limited amount of equipment. Use the rack while I've got it.

If you got any suggestion, please let me know.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #1475
courtneywheatieswilliams
courtneywheatieswilliams
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

courtneywheatieswilliams is new to the forumcourtneywheatieswilliams is new to the forum

have a extremlly short torse and long legs im 5'11 my wife is 5'5 im short than her siting down and her legs arnt short there about average. when i squat i have alot forward lean. anyways to fix this or just have deal with it.
courtneywheatieswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #1476
Likethebaldwin
Likethebaldwin
is keeping on.
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
My Mood: Mellow
Likethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributorLikethebaldwin is a consistent contributor

What's up Steve, thanks for all the help so far. I have no idea how you have time to answer all these questions.

I currently run a 4 day split that goes:

day 1 chest and bis
day 2 legs
day 3 rest
day 4 shoulder and tris (at your suggestion)
day 5 back and traps (also at your suggestion)
day 6 rest
day 7 rest

I would like to start getting squats and bench press twice a week. Do you have a recommendation for how to fit that into my current split?

Thanks man.
Likethebaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #1477
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,431, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,431, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,431, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmonster93 View Post
Hi Bearded Beast of Duloc.

I am starting a full body workout.
It calls for 3 main heavy compounds lifts 5x5 (Squats, a Pull, and a Push) and 3 accessory lifts for 3x8.
Can I do it 4x per week?? (One day on, one day off, and so on..) or would I be better sticking to only 3 x per week?

I been lifting for nearly a year and a half hitting muscles 2 to 3 times per week so I am kind of used to high volume workouts.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Glad to help.

I would not do that 4 days a week. More is not better. If you want to do anything on off day I recommend conditioning work like kettlebells swings, walking, prowler push, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #1478
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,431, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,431, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,431, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangowja View Post
Alright, thx alot! about the upper A workout, i forgot to put the set ranges, so the 5 sets are actualy 3-5 sets, and the 3 sets are 2-3 sets. this makes the sets even.

For my assistance lifts (rows, chin ups, pause work), do you think other periodization protocols will be needed? like non-lineair periodization? or is this too advanced for my level?
Well for assistance I wouldn't worry about periodization. I do like rotating between assistance work, in an A/B manner. Do if you do closegrip bench, you could rotate that week in and week out with something like tricep extensions, etc.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #1479
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Hey Mr. Shaw, quick question. Why is it that you also put curls with shoulder work in the splits that you design?

Always appreciate the answers and advice BTB!
Thanks!

Personal preference. I don't like to overtax a movement pattern when doing a split. So when I am doing pressing days, like chest or shoulders, I like to add in pulling assistance work like biceps just to not beat down the same movement patterns with a lot of volume.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #1480
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeCane View Post
Hey bro, I saw your video on those power shrugs from hell!!! Look epic, want to start doing them to blow up my traps and upper back. How should I program them based on my routine? I have a shoulder day and a back day, on the shoulder day I might do some shrugs at the end but I can never go very heavy on them, also on my back day I already do rack pulls. I'm at 405 for 5. Should I add these power shrugs in on shoulder day or swap my rack pulls out for these? I've made some good gains from these racks I wouldn't want to upset the whole applecart now, lmao.

I also messaged you on FB a bit more detailed so you can just respond here, thanks so much man
I would keep rack pulls and add the power shrug hell to shoulder day. If you are gaining on rack pulls don't mess with them at all!

Share with Facebook