Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Geelong26
Geelong26
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts
Default Need to get strong for police force

G'day I am a new member from Geelong Australia seeking some advice from how to best go from weak to strong. I am 23 years old and currently in the application process to join the Victorian police force. Obviously if my application is successful being strong would be a great big help.

so I have been using Mark Rippetoe's starting strength for the past 4 weeks and my lifts are as follows

I weight 80kg 5ft11

Squat 75 kg
Deadlift 100kg
Bench 67.5 kg
overhead press 45kg

any advice on how to get as strong as possible and maintaining good fitness levels would me be most helpful,

Thanks
Geelong26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33 Points: 2,977, Level: 33
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Not sure what the police fitness test is like there, but here in the US it entails push ups, sit ups, a run and an obstacle coutrse. I think starting strength is great, and I would also do running and lots of calisthenics like pull ups, push ups, etc.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Geelong26
Geelong26
has no status.
Brawn

Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts

I think I should be fine with the fitness test, I just want to get as strong as I can for the role and I because I have fallen in love with strength training especially deadlifting .

For anyone interested this is the fitness test

The following components make up the fitness test:

• Beep Test (5.01) - Download Beep Test (Right-Click, Save Target As)

• Illinois agility run (20 seconds)

• Grip test (30kg in each hand)

• Push ups (5 successive push ups on toes)

• Prone bridge (hold for 60 seconds)

• Obstacle Climb (1.3m)

• Swimming (100 metre swim under 4 minutes)

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

You're lifting weights and probably eating well. Keep doing that. Do it for a few more months. Do it for months after. Keep on lifting. Add weight to the bar. Eat more meat. Add more weight.

For now, just get stronger. That's it.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
JTM811
JTM811
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

As an officer, good luck to you in your efforts to enter the Blue Brotherhood. Keep working out and being consistent in your efforts. If you have the opportunity or funds, get with a program that can teach you some basic MMA or even wrestling.

Being strong and in shape as an officer is important, but it also takes heart and desire especially when sh*t hits the fan. It ain't always the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog!

BTW if you are following Rippentoe's workout stuff, that's a pretty good program/instructor to get info from IMO.
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,456, Level: 78 Points: 14,456, Level: 78 Points: 14,456, Level: 78
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM811 View Post
As an officer, good luck to you in your efforts to enter the Blue Brotherhood. Keep working out and being consistent in your efforts. If you have the opportunity or funds, get with a program that can teach you some basic MMA or even wrestling.

Being strong and in shape as an officer is important, but it also takes heart and desire especially when sh*t hits the fan. It ain't always the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog!

BTW if you are following Rippentoe's workout stuff, that's a pretty good program/instructor to get info from IMO.
I agree on this one. In the Army they teach us all at least a little bit of how to fight with our hands. You only need a little training to have a major upper hand against someone who has no training and just thinks he's a badass. If you know some solid moves he'll be on his ass fast.

As far as lifting, good job. You're already doing things right. Just try to add weight to the bar every week. If you're passionate about lifting, then hang around for a while. Do some reading, and ask some questions if you're curious about anything. You'll be surprised at how much you'll learn.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
Geelong26
Geelong26
has no status.
Brawn

is their anything that I can do to help with bottom part of the squat ? I feel like my glutes are slowing down progress with this lift

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 10,035, Level: 66 Points: 10,035, Level: 66 Points: 10,035, Level: 66
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelong26 View Post
is their anything that I can do to help with bottom part of the squat ?
I'm just an early intermediate or late novice lifter (lol, something like that), but anyway...

My opinion is that pause squats are in order here.

My training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
JTM811
JTM811
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
is their anything that I can do to help with bottom part of the squat ? I feel like my glutes are slowing down progress with this lift
Box squats. Back off the weight and get your form down over a few weeks, then slowly start adding weight. Make sure your stance is a little wider than shoulder width. Glute-ham raises and good mornings should also help.
JTM811 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,048, Level: 50 Points: 6,048, Level: 50 Points: 6,048, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
I think I should be fine with the fitness test, I just want to get as strong as I can for the role and I because I have fallen in love with strength training especially deadlifting .

For anyone interested this is the fitness test

The following components make up the fitness test:

Beep Test (5.01) - Download Beep Test (Right-Click, Save Target As)

Illinois agility run (20 seconds)

Grip test (30kg in each hand)

Push ups (5 successive push ups on toes)

Prone bridge (hold for 60 seconds)

Obstacle Climb (1.3m)

Swimming (100 metre swim under 4 minutes)
I'm a retired IL police officer, so I was just wondering..what is "Illinois agility run"? Also, in IL candidates your age have to benchpress 95% of their bodyweight. I would recommend getting as strong as possible. We had people "in house" to teach MMA tactics but remember when it comes down to it, it's just putting forth an ass whoppin' that wins. Every time you are involved in a physical confrontation there is at least one weapon involved(yours). Many officers are shot with their own weapon. Good luck.

Share with Facebook