Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Nephilim
Nephilim
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

Caffeine is one of those things that your body will build a tolerance to, some more or less than others depending on the individual. I make a nice pre-workout containing:

-powdered powerade
-400mg caffeine (you can buy it powder form but be very careful with your dosages if you do this, or you can grind the tablets. You can OD on caffeine)
-Beta-Alanine powder
-Creatine powder

I mix all the powdery goodness together, add water and slam it about 20 min before hitting the iron. Works well and is way cheaper than pre-packaged pre-workouts
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I work out 4 times a week. I have coffee before each workout, but only in a larger amount for two, and it works fine, and has for many months now. Actual mgs? No clue. The biggest factor is wanting to perform as well as possible regardless of supplementation.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,565, Level: 73 Points: 12,565, Level: 73 Points: 12,565, Level: 73
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Ive had over 2000mg a day working nights. Must be why I can drink a pack of Red Bull and go to sleep.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,070, Level: 77 Points: 14,070, Level: 77 Points: 14,070, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Ive had over 2000mg a day working nights. Must be why I can drink a pack of Red Bull and go to sleep.
That's terrifying, to be honest. My caffeine pills have 200mg, and I've never needed more than 1.

For me, a big part of training is what I DON'T consume when it isn't needed. I don't have carbs when I don't need them, so that when I do need them (During and after training) my insulin sensitivity will be through the roof. I treat caffeine the same way. I need stimulants to get through my sessions, so I have hardly any caffeine at other times. This keeps my total dosage down but still gets me through my workout.

I've also found that as my sessions get longer, it makes a big difference to get carbs during training. I've been using granola bars and chocolate milk and it really helps on those last couple movements. I didn't need to think about this stuff when my sessions were 45 minutes, but now that I'm going back to 1-2 hour sessions it makes a huge difference.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
Nephilim
Nephilim
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

Quote:
For me, a big part of training is what I DON'T consume when it isn't needed. I don't have carbs when I don't need them, so that when I do need them (During and after training) my insulin sensitivity will be through the roof. I treat caffeine the same way. I need stimulants to get through my sessions, so I have hardly any caffeine at other times. This keeps my total dosage down but still gets me through my workout.

I've also found that as my sessions get longer, it makes a big difference to get carbs during training. I've been using granola bars and chocolate milk and it really helps on those last couple movements. I didn't need to think about this stuff when my sessions were 45 minutes, but now that I'm going back to 1-2 hour sessions it makes a huge difference.

I do the same thing with using stimulants only when needed, helps them work more effectively when you do need them. I like a straight shot of honey for quick carb energy. Used it when I was a distance runner and nothing that powerbar, hammer nutrition, etc could package worked better.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #16
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,565, Level: 73 Points: 12,565, Level: 73 Points: 12,565, Level: 73
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
That's terrifying, to be honest. My caffeine pills have 200mg, and I've never needed more than 1.

Thats a good point.

Ive got 1000mg caffeine pills, and have felt like I would have a heart attack. Not to get off track but, use in moderation! You dont want your PWO to give you a headache.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,804, Level: 32 Points: 2,804, Level: 32 Points: 2,804, Level: 32
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

I believe that a dosage done in most studies where maximum benefits were shown was 3mg/lb. I don't remember fully but less is more with caffeine.

I actually started taking it today at 200mg and could tell the difference. For now ill just be using it on days I deadlift.

Last edited by BravenFenix; 02-26-2014 at 11:31 PM.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
JP88
JP88
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7+
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Lunges and chest fly's
Fav Supp: Too many to choose from
JP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good startJP88 is off to a good start

You can try adding liquid b12 along with your 50mg caffeine. And get the good one like Now Foods ULTRA B-12 LIQUID for instance. I don't use it everyday, but I'll substitute it for a coffee or if I need a little pick-me-up I'll use it.

I cycle on and off with Hemavol pre workout. It's a non stim that has a great dose of b12 in it. Stuff works.. not amazing energy, but that initial boost to get you going. Great pumps though!

My gym blog muscleexpand.com and my best rated testosterone boosters.
JP88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2014, 01:55 AM   #19
Greg B.
Greg B.
Feeling Pumped!
Brawn
Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20 Points: 1,400, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell rows
My Mood: Amused
Greg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality postsGreg B. has made some quality posts

As it was said somewhere in the posts above, caffeine or any stimulant intake for that matter is highly individual-based. In other words, it depends on how you feel and how your body is reacting to it. I'm fairly stim tolerant working nights and having a large caffeine intake, it takes a good bit for me to feel it. 200mg caffeine is what is contained in about a cup of regular coffee, so at 50 mg, you're not even getting half a cup. But then again, if you're feeling some decent energy with 50mg, stick with it. If that energy is lowering, experiment and go up a half a tablet or so to assess your tolerance to it.

Main Website: http://www.aaefx.com/
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/allamericanefx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @allamericanefx
Instagram: @aaefx

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own*
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #20
jpak997
jpak997
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

jpak997 is off to a good startjpak997 is off to a good startjpak997 is off to a good startjpak997 is off to a good start

id start at 50mg (1 cup of tea i believe) and wouldnt work up to more then 200mg
jpak997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook