Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts
Default No power rack at meets?

I was watching the video of Brandon Lilly's accident the other day and it got me to wondering why most meets don't use a power rack? I've seen some good designs that use chains or bands to catch the weight if it falls so why not use those? I don't see how anyone can expect spotters to catch 500+ pounds of weight if it suddenly comes crashing down. I don't know if it would have saved Brandon from further injury but I expect it would have helped some.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

No specific reason. Most meets don't use monolifts. The ones with geared lifters almost always do.

But you are right, I wouldn't want 600-700-800 pounds on my back with no safety straps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn

Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

I wonder if things will change in the future, I know some danger is inherent in any sport but it's always good to take precautions.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,407, Level: 29 Points: 2,407, Level: 29 Points: 2,407, Level: 29
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

I can imagine not wanting to use power racks/metal catchers because it'll bend the shit out of your bar. The solution would be safety straps, but there is no obvious goto way to use these when squatting from a regular squat rack.

A monolift however does allow for use of safety straps, but as Steve said most feds don't squat out of a monolift.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,807, Level: 49 Points: 5,807, Level: 49 Points: 5,807, Level: 49
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

I've only been in one meet that had a Monolift.. Rest was just stands. The Monolift was nice...But we didn't have any safety straps or chains...Many of the guys still walked out their squats with the monolift.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

Safety equipment is definitely something to consider when picking out a meet.
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would like to see face savers on all benches, meet or no meet. Time for the industry to get it into gear.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn

It seems to take any sport a long time to get moving when it comes to safety equipment since the investment is so high. Convincing hockey players to wear helmets took years. I think the fact that powerlifting has so many federations makes it difficult too since each one has it's own rules.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,099, Level: 77 Points: 14,099, Level: 77 Points: 14,099, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

There's absolutely no reason why they can't use a power rack, take out the safety rails, and hang safety straps from the top of the rack. And there's also absolutely no reason why a meet should have 3 skinny stick figures spotting someone with 700lb+ on their back.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
jpak997
jpak997
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

jpak997 is off to a good startjpak997 is off to a good startjpak997 is off to a good startjpak997 is off to a good start

yea i think the mono is a much better idea. plus it adds a decent amount to ur lift
jpak997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook