Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #1461
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin View Post
Hey Steve,
thanks for your last reply.

I have a few more questions for you.

First, I was hoping you could give me your opinion on my current 4 day split:
Sure thing.

The split structure looks fine. Good workout and well thought out. Just one option. You could move triceps to shoulders, and add in trap work with back. You could also move calves to back day. This might even out the length of training between shoulder/back/leg day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #1462
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 View Post
I've tried de loading but the injury just comes back, last time I took 2 weeks off my ribs felt recovered but as soon as I started benching I could feel that I hadn't fully recovered, by the time I finished the workout I was back at square one. My diet hasn't changed so far since I've been off
Are there certain exercises that aggravate it? If so I would consider dropping them for 6 months and seeing what happens.

Have you seen a doc to find out if it's something bad?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1463
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luko View Post
Hey thanks alot for all the good content!

So I am 6ft 3 at 198lb (so still fairly beam pole like). I have been training for a year now on stronglifts 5x5. Now, I have pulled a 396lb deadlift, 310lb squat and 155lb bench (my ULTIMATE weak point). Always had a real time with the benching, my arms are 6ft5 long, but making gains non the less. I still havnt gained a ton of muscle size though and mosty of my training has been 5 rep. Was curious if you would recommend something like your early intermediate program too try and slab on a bit of muscle and make way for further strength gains on my bench + and other lifts? A concern, is going from 3 days a week of pressing, too 2 days.

THANKS ALOT! Keep up the good work
Good numbers. Bench can be a pain for some many guys.

I would look at some type of early intermediate program that has a bit more upper body volume. Stronglifts has served you well but now I would make sure you are challenging the upper body with a little more focus and volume.

2 days of pressing will be fine with the right program.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #1464
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienboy View Post
hey Steve first thanks for all the videos on YouTube I appreciate the free info.
Thanks.

Quote:
My question is I currently training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and I wanted to know what you thinks best for throwing people around power, I figured ask the beast, I want to get stronger to make up for weight differences, I'm 5"7 160 pounds, have gained 30 pounds, 12 pounds this past year, I have been training for about 1 year with weights. I have decided to do full body workouts because of the information you shared on one of your videos about non enhanced athletes.
Good question. I was a wrestler and started to dominate just by building more strength from head to toe.

The type of program you are using is perfect for that. Just focus on progression of weight and in a year or two you should find that your strength levels give you an advantage over the average BJJ trainee.

The program won't matter much as long as it's sensible and you are getting stronger on it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #1465
Reefboy1980
Reefboy1980
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Reefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality postsReefboy1980 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Are there certain exercises that aggravate it? If so I would consider dropping them for 6 months and seeing what happens.

Have you seen a doc to find out if it's something bad?
At the moment everything aggravates it, I thought I'd recovered & did some bench press but as soon as I started benching I could feel a very slight irritation, by the time I'd thrown in some other exercises I could tell that it had come back

I've been doctors but they have said it's not broken & all I can do is rest

I will take this week off & then next week maybe go back & do some isolation exercises so im not handling too much weight
Reefboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #1466
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefboy1980 View Post
At the moment everything aggravates it, I thought I'd recovered & did some bench press but as soon as I started benching I could feel a very slight irritation, by the time I'd thrown in some other exercises I could tell that it had come back

I've been doctors but they have said it's not broken & all I can do is rest

I will take this week off & then next week maybe go back & do some isolation exercises so im not handling too much weight
I would just try to use the weight you can with aggravating it. I had to do that for a year when I tore my shoulder. Go slow and steady.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #1467
djangowja
djangowja
has no status.
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

djangowja is new to the forumdjangowja is new to the forumdjangowja is new to the forum

Hello BendTheBar,

I would like to ask you if you could help me with my programming. Some information:

Training years: 3 Years

95kg / 209lbs
Length: 1.86m / 6 foot 1
bf ? 15%+

DL: 180kg / 400lbs
BP: 115kg / 250lbs
SQ: 155kg / 340lbs

As you can see i've been training for about 3 years now, mostly with a bodybuilding split.
The last Year im liking powerling more and more, so i've tried to combine the 2 by doing a push/pull/legs routine 5 days /week, with Wendler 5/3/1 for my mainlifts.

Now i want to try a upper/lower split 4/5 days per week for more frequency. my programming so far looks like this:

Upper A
Bench press 5/3/1
Chin ups 5x3-6
Military press 5x6-10
Bent over row 3x6-10
Close grip bench press 3x8-12
Face pulls 3x10-20

Lower A
Squat 5/3/1
Pause deadlift 3-5x3-6
Front squat 3-5x6-10
Leg extention 2-3x8-15
Leg raises 2-3x8-20

Upper B
Military press 5/3/1
Bent over row 3-5x3-6
Pause bench press 3-5x6-10
Pull ups 3x6-10
Bicep curls 2-3x6-12
Wide grip upright rows 2-3x6-10

Lower B
Deadlift 5/3/1
Pause Squat 3-5x3-6
Lunges 3x6-10 each leg
Cable crunches 3x6-10
Leg curls 2-3x10-20

Do you think this makes a good combination of powerlifting and bodybuilding?
I watch alot of Jason Blaha, and according to most of his videos, i'm doing too much volume and to much different liftst.

I'm not sure what to do here, keep it simple and focus on the main lifts more (then now)? and keep the volume a bit lower on the other liftst?
djangowja is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #1468
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangowja View Post
Hello BendTheBar,

I would like to ask you if you could help me with my programming. Some information:

Training years: 3 Years

95kg / 209lbs
Length: 1.86m / 6 foot 1
bf ? 15%+

DL: 180kg / 400lbs
BP: 115kg / 250lbs
SQ: 155kg / 340lbs

As you can see i've been training for about 3 years now, mostly with a bodybuilding split.
You have some good numbers. It's also good to see that consistency.

Quote:
Do you think this makes a good combination of powerlifting and bodybuilding?
Yes. It's not too much volume at all.

Most days are 12-16 sets of total work, which is perfect. Upper A is set heavy though. It has 19 sets after your 531 sets. The other days have 8-10.

I also wouldn't do deadlifts the day after barbell rows.

I would do lower day, upper day, rest. Repeat.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 AM   #1469
beastmonster93
beastmonster93
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14

My Mood: Cheerful
beastmonster93 is new to the forumbeastmonster93 is new to the forum

Hi Bearded Beast of Duloc.

I am starting a full body workout.
It calls for 3 main heavy compounds lifts 5x5 (Squats, a Pull, and a Push) and 3 accessory lifts for 3x8.
Can I do it 4x per week?? (One day on, one day off, and so on..) or would I be better sticking to only 3 x per week?

I been lifting for nearly a year and a half hitting muscles 2 to 3 times per week so I am kind of used to high volume workouts.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Last edited by beastmonster93; 03-15-2014 at 12:59 AM.
beastmonster93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #1470
djangowja
djangowja
has no status.
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

djangowja is new to the forumdjangowja is new to the forumdjangowja is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You have some good numbers. It's also good to see that consistency.

Yes. It's not too much volume at all.

Most days are 12-16 sets of total work, which is perfect. Upper A is set heavy though. It has 19 sets after your 531 sets. The other days have 8-10.

I also wouldn't do deadlifts the day after barbell rows.

I would do lower day, upper day, rest. Repeat.
Alright, thx alot! about the upper A workout, i forgot to put the set ranges, so the 5 sets are actualy 3-5 sets, and the 3 sets are 2-3 sets. this makes the sets even.

For my assistance lifts (rows, chin ups, pause work), do you think other periodization protocols will be needed? like non-lineair periodization? or is this too advanced for my level?
djangowja is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook