Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,486, Level: 42 Points: 4,486, Level: 42 Points: 4,486, Level: 42
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Inspired
TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast
Default Brutal elbow pain, likely from low bar squats.please help :D

ok, so I recently moved from mid bar to low bar position for squatting and it seems to have really hurt my elbows. I was squatting last night and tonight I did one set of bench, not even that heavy and my elbows were in agony. I was on the floor for around 30 minutes waiting for the pain to ease off. The pain seems to be coming from big painful knots at the end of my brachialis, there are solid lumps which hurt to touch right at the side of the arm, just to the side of the insertion of my bicep. The pain seems to come when these get compressed when my arms close in at the bottom of a bench press. When I touch them even now they hurt. The pain seems to affect the entire elbow though with the most pain being up the side of my arm and on the joint right at the top, just below where my forearm muscle is. More squatting sunday. So any help will be greatly appreciated to be ready to do that then bench press the day after. Here is a video from last night so you can see what I'm doing with my arms when I squat :

I am just assuming this is what is causing the pain. I had a minor version of the same pain toward the end of my session last night after missing a max attempt. As said any help would be greatly appreciated and if that help allows me to continue to squat low bar I would be delighted. I have a comp in around 6 weeks too so I really can't deal with not being able to press anything heavy.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

You shouldn't be supporting any of the weight with your arms. They are just there for balance. Also can be caused by too narrow of a grip.

Try a wider grip and dropping the pinky. This will give you more range of motion with your shoulders.

Look up Paul Carter's low bar squat fix on YouTube. Do what he suggests and that should fix you right up in a couple months. Meanwhile, keep the elbow sleeves on for pressing, or use some type of compression around your elbows.

That is what I would do.

Gym PRs:
Raw w/wraps
650/455/635

My current log:
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...494#post458494
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,606, Level: 75 Points: 13,606, Level: 75 Points: 13,606, Level: 75
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Have you always had the elbow sleeves on when squatting? They may be causing extra compression when you hold the bar for squats.

It looks like you do need a little work on your hold. Your upper back is lose and you seem a bit hunched over. That could be shifting more of the weight to your arms. You're also shifting around a lot in your setup. Get tighter, and practice both your hold and walk out with lighter weights until it's sharp and clean.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

TomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beastTomGJD is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
You shouldn't be supporting any of the weight with your arms. They are just there for balance. Also can be caused by too narrow of a grip.

Try a wider grip and dropping the pinky. This will give you more range of motion with your shoulders.

Look up Paul Carter's low bar squat fix on YouTube. Do what he suggests and that should fix you right up in a couple months. Meanwhile, keep the elbow sleeves on for pressing, or use some type of compression around your elbows.

That is what I would do.
Thanks so much for your advice. I will give that a shot tomorrow and hopefully it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Have you always had the elbow sleeves on when squatting? They may be causing extra compression when you hold the bar for squats.

It looks like you do need a little work on your hold. Your upper back is lose and you seem a bit hunched over. That could be shifting more of the weight to your arms. You're also shifting around a lot in your setup. Get tighter, and practice both your hold and walk out with lighter weights until it's sharp and clean.
I've been wearing the sleeves when squatting for the last few months. I injured my arm last year and do as much as I can to keep myself healthy when training. Thanks for the advice man, I think I am definitely taking weight on my arms which is killing me. If I can't get my low bar to work tomorrow pain free with this advice then I will switch to high bar again for heavy work and comps until I can get my hold and walkout perfect.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,606, Level: 75 Points: 13,606, Level: 75 Points: 13,606, Level: 75
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGJD View Post
I've been wearing the sleeves when squatting for the last few months. I injured my arm last year and do as much as I can to keep myself healthy when training. Thanks for the advice man, I think I am definitely taking weight on my arms which is killing me. If I can't get my low bar to work tomorrow pain free with this advice then I will switch to high bar again for heavy work and comps until I can get my hold and walkout perfect.
Honestly, I've been working on the same thing that's getting you. You're all good during initial setup, then as you unrack the bar the weight pulls you out of position. Your shoulders shift forward, and this is probably pushing the weight onto your hands. When I unrack the bar I put every ounce of my focus on holding the bar with my body and not my hands. I feel like I'm using my lats to hold the bar. It wasn't until I did overloaded partials that I really got it right. With your elbow issues it wouldn't be smart to do that sort of supramaximal training though.

Do you actually do any direct bicep/brachialis training? I have a far more narrow grip than you. It does cause some pain when I'm training, but not too much, and I think it's because I've tried hard to get my conditioning up in those muscles. (just a thought)
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Honestly, I've been working on the same thing that's getting you. You're all good during initial setup, then as you unrack the bar the weight pulls you out of position. Your shoulders shift forward, and this is probably pushing the weight onto your hands. When I unrack the bar I put every ounce of my focus on holding the bar with my body and not my hands. I feel like I'm using my lats to hold the bar. It wasn't until I did overloaded partials that I really got it right. With your elbow issues it wouldn't be smart to do that sort of supramaximal training though.

Do you actually do any direct bicep/brachialis training? I have a far more narrow grip than you. It does cause some pain when I'm training, but not too much, and I think it's because I've tried hard to get my conditioning up in those muscles. (just a thought)

That may be an idea too man. I just started training my biceps directly again last week. I haven't done direct brachialis work in ages either but plan to hammer them in tomorrow's session. I got really bored of arm training a while back and always end up skipping them after a heavy session. Which is strange.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 904, Level: 16 Points: 904, Level: 16 Points: 904, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: trap bar deadlift
Renton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality postsRenton has made some quality posts

That's some impressive weight good job. Yeah it seems like you are supporting the weight with your arms, I pull down on the bar and try to bend the bar over by upper back which helps keep everything tight.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
TomGJD
TomGJD
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
That's some impressive weight good job. Yeah it seems like you are supporting the weight with your arms, I pull down on the bar and try to bend the bar over by upper back which helps keep everything tight.
Thanks man! Squatting is one of my favourite lifts. Cheers for the input. Appreciate it all.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Im going to give that a try. If I grab the bar wide, I lose all tightness in my upper back.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook