Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
ffemtny
ffemtny
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

I tend to get real bad G.I. problems from subway, know a few others who do also, culprit according to net knowolgists is the preservatives on the lettuce. Pretty sure chemicals in the bread can't be good either though. Subway...eat death.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
The_Big_Sleep
The_Big_Sleep
is Strong(er)
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn
Points: 2,286, Level: 28 Points: 2,286, Level: 28 Points: 2,286, Level: 28

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
My Mood: Inspired
The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

Truth about azocarbonamide in certain bread products: As a food additive, azocarbonamide may only be used in tiny amounts, accounting for no more than .0045 percent of treated flour.

You don't actually ingest any azodicarbonamide when you eat bread made with it. During the mixing process, it breaks down into biurea, a compound that is readily excreted from the body. Other byproducts include semicarbazide and ethyl carbamate.

Ethyl carbamate, while potentially a carcinogen, is actually more of a concern for people who drink excessive alcohol since it's a byproduct of yeast fermentation.

Moral of Story: Subway bread doesn't contain "rubber" and you won't die if you eat it... But Quiznos is better anyway

Team HALEO Rep
‡Echo in Eternity‡

http://www.haleo.com/

Like Us On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/HaleoFB

•A mind too active is no mind at all•
The_Big_Sleep is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,547, Level: 47 Points: 5,547, Level: 47 Points: 5,547, Level: 47
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Why do they have things like that in there? Just curious if it helps with preservation of ingredients or what.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
The_Big_Sleep
The_Big_Sleep
is Strong(er)
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn

The_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machineThe_Big_Sleep is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
Why do they have things like that in there? Just curious if it helps with preservation of ingredients or what.
Extends shelf-life, increases taste, improves texture, helps bind ingredients, etc

Team HALEO Rep
‡Echo in Eternity‡

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_Sleep View Post
Truth about azocarbonamide in certain bread products: As a food additive, azocarbonamide may only be used in tiny amounts, accounting for no more than .0045 percent of treated flour.

You don't actually ingest any azodicarbonamide when you eat bread made with it. During the mixing process, it breaks down into biurea, a compound that is readily excreted from the body. Other byproducts include semicarbazide and ethyl carbamate.

Ethyl carbamate, while potentially a carcinogen, is actually more of a concern for people who drink excessive alcohol since it's a byproduct of yeast fermentation.

Moral of Story: Subway bread doesn't contain "rubber" and you won't die if you eat it... But Quiznos is better anyway
So, that's what you were prattling on about the other day in the shout box...you don't need to take sarcasm to the shout box regarding a thread that's been put up, especially since you clearly added to this thread anyway.

People seem to love to pull that "it may only be used in tiny amounts" card; every time, whether it's sweeteners or other additives, we see this constantly pulled. I don't care how tiny the amount is that they're permitted to use; do you know how many people are allergic/intolerant and/or just plain react to these tiny amounts that everybody keeps defending for the commercial companies? I'm sure the symptoms they suffer wouldn't be things half the people that defend the use and back the producers using them would like to endure themselves.

Neither can they or do they guarantee that those minute/tiny amounts are strictly adhered to as attested to by the recall of Uncle Ben's which had way over the limit of Niacin (?) in it, a deadly compound in set doses.

Go ahead and inform people that these tiny amounts will have absolutely no adverse affects, if that's what you truly believe; or go and do some research about those that do react and then reconsider your view or at the very least be polite enough to state that some people do react to very small doses...as it is, you categorically outright state that nobody will ever suffer or have an issue and that is wrong and irresponsible.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

While I don't agree that the small amounts used should be acceptable, for the general mass it will not cause an adverse reaction. However, I do think that most people should make themselves informed before ingesting anything that they haven't prepared. It is just the safe way to do things.

For better or worse, the US is not as stringent as countries across the pond, it is the way it is. From my own research, I personally believe that the small amount in subway's bread won't hurt you, I again use the rule to check it before you eat it if you have health concerns.

A lot of ingredients that are mentioned to cause adverse reactions or that are harmful to the body in some way, must be ingested in such a large quantity over time that it is just about impossible to get that (see BPA). Studies get blown out of proportion when they find that ingredients cause adverse reactions, seeing only that it does cause it but not focusing on the amount that causes it.

Just my view from working in the chemical industry. But, I do agree with 5kg in the fact that it doesn't apply to everyone, so make sure you know what your body can handle.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorts View Post

A lot of ingredients that are mentioned to cause adverse reactions or that are harmful to the body in some way, must be ingested in such a large quantity over time that it is just about impossible to get that (see BPA). Studies get blown out of proportion when they find that ingredients cause adverse reactions, seeing only that it does cause it but not focusing on the amount that causes it.

Just my view from working in the chemical industry. But, I do agree with 5kg in the fact that it doesn't apply to everyone, so make sure you know what your body can handle.

so what's the real story with BPA?
from what I've seen and read its absolutely toxic
In fact, I might start a new tread to continue this.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Feel free to make another thread or PM me if you'd like. Once of my first projects as an engineer was developing a BPA free coating for can/bottle's/etc. It was a big push from the US since most of the EU had banned it.

All the research does point to it being toxic (and it is). The issue is when it is used for coatings, you're not getting the full amount. The testing done showed that when mice ingested BPA (100% reactive, pure) they have severe adverse effects (ie death). However, the rate of desorption of BPA from the coating to whatever fluid was in the container is so slow that it would take 10 lifetimes for someone to reach the dangerous level of BPA needed for adverse effects.

But, all it takes is a study to show that it can happen, and from there the words can be twisted to make that product look terrible.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
The_Big_Sleep
The_Big_Sleep
is Strong(er)
Epigenetically Gifted
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Go ahead and inform people that these tiny amounts will have absolutely no adverse affects, if that's what you truly believe; or go and do some research about those that do react and then reconsider your view or at the very least be polite enough to state that some people do react to very small doses...as it is, you categorically outright state that nobody will ever suffer or have an issue and that is wrong and irresponsible.
Edit: I hope that is not what is inferred from my post as, yes, SOME individuals with specific allergies MAY have adverse reactions to these compounds.

Team HALEO Rep
‡Echo in Eternity‡

Last edited by The_Big_Sleep; 02-26-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Share with Facebook