Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,106, Level: 77 Points: 14,106, Level: 77 Points: 14,106, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I think a routine can be very important for some. A routine gets you out of your own head. Instead of thinking about whether you'll make the lift or not, your brain is too busy thinking about what part of the routine you're on. It's all basic sports psychology.

Personally, I've found that certain things are more important than others. If I was competing then I'd want a full routine for everything, and you'll notice above that the 2 geared lifters have the most precise routines. But I'm more concerned with just hitting lifts in the gym, where there's no time limit and generally no one watching, so I'm not as concerned with details when it comes to setting up for a lift.

The one thing that works well for me is to treat max attempts just like normal lifts. I realized years ago that the more I try to work myself up, the more I fail the lift. I just do what I usually do, grab the bar the same way I would for a set of 8, and try to not overthink things.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I don't think we've had this before...

I'm not talking pre-lift rituals, wearing certain things etc but address that if you would like to as well.

Do any of you have a distinct set-up pattern that you use for every lift, for example with the DL, do you step up to the barbell in the same manner each time, same foot first, grab the barbell with the same hand first each time etc?

I do, so I wondered if everyone else does or whether some don't.
I do just about every lift the same every time, in the same order haha. This is true even for accessory movements but especially for squat, bench, deadlift. But, I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps so maybe I am a tad..."programmed" I guess.

I do the opposite of what Soldier does. For the big 3 I treat every lift like it's a max out.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

I think routine set up is part of the neuro-prep for the lift...a good set up is good run up to a good lift.

problem with that is, change of scenery, etc. messes more with performance.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

Yepp, for all my lifts I have those checklists. Probably a little bit different than JB with me going raw, but they are there. I don't think I could even go up to take a lift nowadays without going through them they are so ingrained in my head.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
KCStrongmanben
KCStrongmanben
Strongering
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,209, Level: 35 Points: 3,209, Level: 35 Points: 3,209, Level: 35
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Daring
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

I pretty much do the same thing every time. But I also have a ritual of never stepping over the deadlift bar. Training and meets same thing lol
Muscle and Brawn
All American EFX Rep

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX
and they are my own.

KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook