Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #11
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,357, Level: 67 Points: 10,357, Level: 67 Points: 10,357, Level: 67
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

I Squatted 135x50 once.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,755, Level: 100 Points: 33,755, Level: 100 Points: 33,755, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
OK. At the moment Im squatting 3 times a week. On my deadlift day, I deadlift first and then do my 20 reps squat. On the "B" day, I squat heavier for 5x5 as the first movement. I try to progress in weight on both. Thanks.
Sounds like youre doing the right thing. Keep up the good work,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
I Squatted 135x50 once.
I read somewhere that Platz were a fan of doing timed sets, adding :30 instead of weight until he was at around 10 minutes long sets. I read.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

you'd probably enjoy reading about "sarcoplasmic " vs "myofibrillar" hypertrophy.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #14
Kag94
Kag94
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23 Points: 1,679, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Sqwartz
Fav Supp: Caffeine
Kag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good postsKag94 has made some good posts

IA had a good post on this. If I find it I'll link it but basically if you can go from 135x20 to 405x20 I'm pretty sure you're going to grow

Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
Biggraygrizzly
Biggraygrizzly
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 840, Level: 15 Points: 840, Level: 15 Points: 840, Level: 15
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
My Mood: Relaxed
Biggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good posts

Actually it depends on what you want to accomplish, my opinion you need a variety for size I like the 4-6 for power and size range and for muscle 6-12, and for the burn pump I like 40 reps it keeps the muscle guessing and when you do not use any vitamin "A" you have to get creative to build muscle. its like getting the best of all worlds so I suggest on basic compound movements like bench pressing, deadlifting, squatting 4-6 reps, and for muscle building movements like dumbbell pressing, front squatting, and bent-over rowing use the 6-12 reps, and for the burn use isolation exercise like cable cross overs, side laterals, cable curls, leg presses, straight arm pull downs for 40 reps, just make sure you its a weight that you can get 15 reps and go for 40 and stay at that weight until get it with some ease. Just remember in bodybuilding it not about how much weight you can lift so the ego goes into the back pocket and make reps you goals and once you met them the increase the weight.
Keep Pumping
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Biggraygrizzly
Biggraygrizzly
has no status.
Brawn

Biggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good postsBiggraygrizzly has made some very good posts
Talking

[QUOTE=Kag94;458776]IA had a good post on this. If I find it I'll link it but basically if you can go from 135x20 to 405x20 I'm pretty sure you're going to grow[/QUOTE
BEEF + SQUATS =DOES THE BODY GOOD!

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Brawn
Points: 1,327, Level: 20 Points: 1,327, Level: 20 Points: 1,327, Level: 20
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I read somewhere that Platz were a fan of doing timed sets, adding :30 instead of weight until he was at around 10 minutes long sets. I read.
I read somewhere that Crossfitters like to do timed sets .

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ
Short documentary on BJJ in Moldova: Undocumented Territory
Facebook link
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #18
Renton
Renton
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

I think it depends on what your doing. For isolation exercises I find higher reps works better. If I'm doing something like cable flys or leg extensions I do between 10-15 reps.
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #19
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,125, Level: 69 Points: 11,125, Level: 69 Points: 11,125, Level: 69
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Strive for progression with any rep range and you will get bigger and stronger.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
Biggraygrizzly
Biggraygrizzly
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
I read somewhere that Crossfitters like to do timed sets .
Or know as time under tension, sound intense.

Share with Facebook