Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #1411
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,062, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,062, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,062, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexem View Post
should i continue to strength train even thought I didn't gain muscle last year?
I find it hard to believe you didn't gain muscle for a year bringing your lifts up to those numbers, and your weight up to 180. I'm not trying to sound argumentative. I think you did gain some muscle, but depending on how aggressive your cut was, could have lost some of it. Without pictures I can't say.

In either case, you have no other option than to train for progressive overload if you want to build muscle. I would limit weight gain to 1.5 pounds per month on average over the next year and take measurements.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #1412
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,062, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,062, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,062, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Hey dig your videos and i need some advice. my squat numbers stink.
Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
the most ive ever been to squat is 170 for 5 for 3 sets
That is really ok for your height and weight. At 5'11", you are quite thin right now. Without another 20 pounds of muscle mass and some form of a 2-3 year commitment to a steady lean bulk diet/weight gain, you will be fighting for pounds on your squat.

Just for reference, take a look at my natural strength standards article:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/strong-str...tural-lifters/

A strong squat for your weight is about a 270 pound squat. Right now your max is probably around 220 pounds.

Know that most of these standards at this weight are for men far shorter than you, so your squat strength really isn't unusual for your height and weight.

It's not the programming that's the issue. Natural strength gains are strongly tied into weight. For your height and weight you are almost in the strong category, which is respectable.

You are an intermediate lifter and the strongest squat you will likely have at the height is a 320 to 340 max. You may only gain 25 to 30 pounds on your squat per year if you remain at 155.

If you do want to stay that weight, which is your call and none of my business, then just make sure you are eating properly. Good, nutritious food and plenty of protein. No junk. maximize your nutrition.

I hope you understand that I am not trying to stick my nose in your business and say "you're too thin." I simply want you to understand that strength gains are going to come very slow for you until you add more muscle.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #1413
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
Hey Steve,

Just read your article on M&S ("5 things you may not know..."). I'm in my first year of consistent lifting and I'm on a fullbody program that is basically a 5x5 for the first 4 weeks, a 3x3 for the next 4 and then 1x1 the last week (to get 1rm). Then it suggests you cycle back through the program again.

Would you suggest running the 3x3 and 1x1 exactly like the 5x5 for beginners like me (i.e. cycling through the 5x5 part of the workout again and not doing the lower rep workouts)?

Thanks in advance.
Hey BM,

Can you link me the complete program? Maybe PM it to be so I can take a look.

Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #1414
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyguy View Post
Hi BBOD,

My question for you is, what can I do in these 2 weeks (diet and otherwise) to ensure my hard earned gains are not compromised?

I've been bulking up to now, so do I cut back to maintenence level and just ensure I'm eating enough protein?
Nothing. I wouldn't worry about lifting. Rest and recover.

Also, don't change your diet for the first week. You are still recovering and growing for the next several days after your last session.

Know that you won't lose that much in 2 weeks. Whatever you lose will be trivial. Whatever trivial amount you lose will come back in no time. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.

When you get back at the gym, please consider pulling back from lifting weights 6 days a week. This isn't needed, and carries more risks than rewards.

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #1415
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,363, Level: 20 Points: 1,363, Level: 20 Points: 1,363, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hey BM,

Can you link me the complete program? Maybe PM it to be so I can take a look.

Thanks!
I have it as an Excel Spreadsheet. Could I send it to you like that somehow? Otherwise I'll have to consult the computer wizardry of my wife and maybe there's a way to copy/paste it in full.

EDIT: I just sent you an email with the Excel sheet as an attachment.

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ
Short documentary on BJJ in Moldova: Undocumented Territory
Facebook link

Last edited by BobbyMac; 02-13-2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: I solved my problem
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #1416
Boozehound
Boozehound
has no status.
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: just over a year
Training Type: 5x5
Boozehound is new to the forumBoozehound is new to the forum

Quote:
Thanks. I'll see what I can do.

That is really ok for your height and weight. At 5'11", you are quite thin right now. Without another 20 pounds of muscle mass and some form of a 2-3 year commitment to a steady lean bulk diet/weight gain, you will be fighting for pounds on your squat.

Just for reference, take a look at my natural strength standards article:

A strong squat for your weight is about a 270 pound squat. Right now your max is probably around 220 pounds.

Know that most of these standards at this weight are for men far shorter than you, so your squat strength really isn't unusual for your height and weight.

It's not the programming that's the issue. Natural strength gains are strongly tied into weight. For your height and weight you are almost in the strong category, which is respectable.

You are an intermediate lifter and the strongest squat you will likely have at the height is a 320 to 340 max. You may only gain 25 to 30 pounds on your squat per year if you remain at 155.

If you do want to stay that weight, which is your call and none of my business, then just make sure you are eating properly. Good, nutritious food and plenty of protein. No junk. maximize your nutrition.

I hope you understand that I am not trying to stick my nose in your business and say "you're too thin." I simply want you to understand that strength gains are going to come very slow for you until you add more muscle.
I get it, eat like a bird look like a bird. I can eat a bunch and do it pretty clean, but to do it consistently for weeks to actually gain is such a chore, but i get it thanks.
Boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #1417
Boozehound
Boozehound
has no status.
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Training Exp: just over a year
Training Type: 5x5
Boozehound is new to the forumBoozehound is new to the forum

im looking to upgrade my garage gym, have a dyi power rack, a no name olympic bar and some iron plates. found a nice power rack and a set of bumper plates but all the different bars out there and the tensile strength and the whip. im not doing olympic lifts maybe the power clean but plan to stick with basic compounds for a long while. im looking at rogue bars now, between 28mm and 29mm, one with a life time guarantee and one that will suit my needs and goals and not looking to spend the $$$ for a bearing bar, they sound awesome and elegant but i just need robust quality. does tensile strength have anything to do with how 'whippy' the bar is? do i need a 'whippy' bar? its an important purchase and i want to get it right and have no what ifs or shoulda's.
Boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #1418
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Are there any good diet plans or articles for those that like to workout first thing in the morning?

Last edited by Adamite1114; 02-12-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #1419
fexem
fexem
has no status.
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

fexem is off to a bad start

Quote:
I find it hard to believe you didn't gain muscle for a year bringing your lifts up to those numbers, and your weight up to 180. I'm not trying to sound argumentative. I think you did gain some muscle, but depending on how aggressive your cut was, could have lost some of it. Without pictures I can't say.

In either case, you have no other option than to train for progressive overload if you want to build muscle. I would limit weight gain to 1.5 pounds per month on average over the next year and take measurements.
I can squat 275 after my cut. I didnt cut hard even though I lost like 20 pounds.

Im planning on starting something similar to 5x5 but also including rear delt accessroy work and low back. And also doing dynamic work 1 session a week.

thanks for your help.
fexem is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #1420
Veltor
Veltor
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13

Training Exp: 10 months
Fav Supp: Food
Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts
Default Diet question

Hi BBOD,

I have a quick question about diet and nutrition. If I need to increase my calories in my diet, for example 100 calories split in to carbs and fats, because I didn't gain weight in the last 2 weeks, should I increase them slowly during the next days or should I add them inmediatly?

Thank you very much, your advice and knowledge is always appreciate it!! =)
Veltor is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook