Brawn
Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15 Points: 835, Level: 15
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Testosterone :)
My Mood: Amused
Braveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiwereaspoon View Post
Thanks again Braveone!
I guess my number one priority at the moment is to loose fat. For a few reasons, mainly so I look better and am healthier, but also for injury prevention and to help with my previous injury. Secondary to that I want to try and build muscle while loosing the fat and build my overall fitness level. Once I have lost the fat I want to loose (it would be great to get down to around 10% body fat) I will concentrate primarily on building size and strength through muscle. At this stage I feel my fitness has improved greatly but I am definitely not as strong as I should be!
I went back to the start of this thread and found this remark “Any criticism and information/advice will be greatly appreciated” so I feel OK about giving you some feedback. Everything following is MY OPINION ONLY! (And meant to help)

So your stated goals are to loose fat, build muscle (get stronger as well I assume) and build your overall fitness level (lets refer to this as “improve your conditioning”); dude, you’re trying to do too much at once in my humble opinion and I think this is reflected in your training.

I think you would be better served picking a more specific goal and really going after it rather than trying to do everything at once. This will allow you build a training and diet plan that fully support your goals and once you get where you want to be in one area you can switch gears and move onto the next thing.

Building any appreciable muscle and dropping fat at the same time is very difficult (not really doable many say) past a certain point...you need a caloric surplus to build muscle and a caloric deficit to lose fat. Raw beginners can get stronger and build a little muscle while losing fat but that magical time comes to and end (sadly) too soon. That’s why you hear people talk about “cutting” or “bulking”…they are either in a caloric deficit fat loss phase or a caloric surplus muscle and strength gaining phase.

The primary goal when building mass and strength for most is to do so with minimal fat gain…and the primary goal when loosing fat SHOULD be to do so with no muscle loss. Personally I find can get a little stronger sometimes while on a cut (not much) but generally I’m happy if after a period of cutting fat that my strength levels are 95% of what they were when I entered the caloric deficit. Also keep in mind your relative strength (strength relative to your body weight) will dramatically increase post cut and things like pull
ups become way easier.

No one can tell what your goals should be…some people are very happy with higher levels of fat and being strong brutes while others freak out once they lose sight of their abs…only you know what you want an what your values are.

I truly hope this is in some way helpful. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

Squat:307.5
Dead:415
Bench:257.5

Overhead Press:165 (not counted)

Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows.
Braveone is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #22
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,350,219, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,219, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,219, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Congrats on the weight loss. Smash on!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #23
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: Always learning
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Chest & Shoulders
Fav Supp: ON Whey
My Mood: Buzzed
ifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveone View Post
...you need a caloric surplus to build muscle and a caloric deficit to lose fat.
Thanks Braveone! This line really does make a lot of sense (your whole post does but this really stood out to me!)

I guess my main goal then, at least for the next couple of months is fat loss. That is what I need to do before I can really concentrate on trying to build muscle and strength.

Would I be correct in thinking that I should definitely still maintain my weights program while I'm "cutting" to at least try to maintain as much strength as possible?

Maybe I should focus more on interval and cardio (HIIT) training with weights in the background for now.

Would you recommend still taking protein after hard weight training sessions even though my main focus at the moment is fat loss? And also would casein be a good idea to take before bed while I'm loosing fat?

Thanks again!
ifiwereaspoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #24
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

ifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Congrats on the weight loss. Smash on!
Thanks BendtheBar! Hopefully it means I'm past this plateau and it keeps going down!

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #25
Braveone
Braveone
Fighting the good fight!
Brawn

Braveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good postsBraveone has made some very good posts

Quote:
Thanks Braveone!

Would I be correct in thinking that I should definitely still maintain my weights program while I'm "cutting" to at least try to maintain as much strength as possible?
Your welcome! Glad you found it helpful.

And YES! push as much as you can in with your lifting and try like hell to get stronger...just keep your expectations in check.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #26
Braveone
Braveone
Fighting the good fight!
Brawn

Quote:

Would you recommend still taking protein after hard weight training sessions even though my main focus at the moment is fat loss? And also would casein be a good idea to take before bed while I'm loosing fat?

Thanks again!
I don't think the timing or type of protein is nearly as important as the supplement companies make it out to be...I get my protein from whole foods as much as I can.

I say just eat after you train and keep your calories for the day below maintenance by a couple hundred calories while cutting.

Perhaps pose this question to BtB in the Q&A forum...

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #27
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveone View Post
Your welcome! Glad you found it helpful.

And YES! push as much as you can in with your lifting and try like hell to get stronger...just keep your expectations in check.
Definitely will! I'm glad you helped me realise that I won't get great results with the weights until I'm feeding my body to get those results! I mean, it makes sense, I think (like you could obviously see) I was just focused on achieving too much at once.

This is why I'm glad I found this forum! Thanks again.

Cheers

Last edited by ifiwereaspoon; 01-21-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Already answered

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #28
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Didn't get time to jump on here yesterday, but here goes the update:

Yesterday I went to the gym and did my Legs & Abs routine:

Romanian Deadlift 1set 30KG (66LBS), 1set 40KG (88LBS) then 2sets 50KG (110LBS) 12reps each set
DB Lunges 3sets 12each leg 15kg (33LBS)
Decline sit ups 3sets 12reps
Goblet Squats 3sets 15reps 25kg (55LBS)
Weighted Cable Crunch 3sets 10reps 50kg (110LBS)
Leg Press 3sets 12reps 84kg (185LBS)
Standing BB Calf Raises 3sets 12reps 50kg (110LBS)
Roman (Captians) Chair Straight Leg Raises 2sets 10reps
80cm Box Jumps 2sets 12reps
Planks 3sets 1min

Was a hard workout as usual, but I got through it all. Later that day I went to a cycling class just to burn off a bit more energy/fat.

Today I hit the gym again and did my Chest, Shoulders & Triceps routine:

Warmed up with some push ups and a set of Arnold press.
Flat DB Chest Press 3 sets 12 reps 20KG (44LB)
Incline DB Chest Press 3 sets 12 reps 17.5KG (38.5LB)
Standing Shoulder Press 3 sets 12 reps 12.5KG (27.5LB)
Lying DB Tricep Extentions 2 sets 10 rep 9KG (20LB)
Flat DB Chest Flies 2 sets 10 reps 12.5KG (27.5LB)
Cable Tricep Pulldown 2 sets 12 reps 43KG (94LB)
Lateral Raises 2sets 12reps 8KG (17.6LB)
Push Ups & Bench Dips 2 super sets of 10 of each

It felt good going up in weight on the flat DB chest press while still maintaining the 3 sets of 12 reps. Still seeing some strength improvement even though I'm concentrating so hard on the fat loss.

Most days this week my calorie intake has been around half of my calorie burn. Probably won't be able to keep that up for too long, especially going back to work next week, but I will definitely keep up the gym sessions!

Tonight I have a boxing circuit class on which is usually pretty intense cross training and then tomorrow morning I have that fitness bootcamp thing on that's run by the same guy who does the boxing circuit classes. Should be good.

I will keep you all updated.
Cheers

Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #29
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,350,219, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,219, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,219, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Big sessions. Getting it done in here.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014, 02:17 AM   #30
ifiwereaspoon
ifiwereaspoon
still finding my feet
In Training...
New Brawn

Thanks BendtheBar, trying to push it as much as I can.

Yesterday morning I did the fitness bootcamp and smashed it. There was a lot of running in it, I was feeling good and managed to be in front of the pack the whole session. It was a good confidence booster having strangers come up to me and say things like "Man, you are fit!".

Today got to the gym this morning and did my extra chest session. Wasn't feeling super enthusiastic but still managed to pump out some extra push up sets at the end. Here's how it went:

Bench Press - 4sets 10kg(bar) 10reps warm up, 30kg (66lbs) 8 reps, 50kg (110lbs) 5reps, 50kg (110lbs) 5reps

Cable Cross Overs - 3sets 10reps 23kg (50lbs) each side

Straight Arm BB Pullovers - 3sets 10reps 15kg (33lbs)

Push Up half pyramid - 20, 15, 10, 5

It was a pretty timid session, but I'm still glad I got down there and did a bit.

I'm going to try and get a bit of cardio done tonight, maybe some interval running or something. I will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Share with Facebook