Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Mrinda87
Mrinda87
Snowed in and browsing the forums..
Brawn
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
My Mood: Blah
Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts
Default How much does squatting a few heavy sets before DLs affect your strength

For those of you have done programs like stronglifts and starting strength or who simply have experience squatting heavy sets(and overhead pressing too) before your deadlifts. Did you have more trouble progressing on your deadlift as the previous lifts got stronger in the program?And when you finished the program and maybe deadlifted fresh did you notice you were significantly stronger? If so how much stronger? I hear if your squat is getting better your deadlift most likely is as well.
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,401, Level: 29 Points: 2,401, Level: 29 Points: 2,401, Level: 29
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

You'll be deadlifting a little less than you would fresh because you just squatted, but it won't hurt your progress on the deadlift to any significant extent. That is assuming you don't absolutely murder yourself on squats beforehand, which would be silly knowing that you have more work to do after.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just takes a while to get used to doing both on the same day. I trained squats and deads on the same day for about 3 years. Took several months to dial things in and get used to the demands, but after that you likely won't see any strength differences if you're eating properly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,469, Level: 52 Points: 6,469, Level: 52 Points: 6,469, Level: 52
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

I used to train 2 days a week with Bench/Squats on day 1 then Press/Deads on day 2. For the most part, all of my lifts progressed about the same. I would rest about 10 minutes between the two lifts. I set many PRs with that type of training. Eventually I did switch to 3 & 4 day training. Progress and strength gains continued. Like BtB said, it just takes a little time for the body to adapt/adjust.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,945, Level: 66 Points: 9,945, Level: 66 Points: 9,945, Level: 66
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

It's what happens in all full powerlifting meets.

But anyway, from my own (admittedly limited) experience, I'd say it has very little impact overall. My deadlift was always my strongest lift - and still is! - and I did Starting Strength at the beginning of all this.

My training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
GT55
GT55
Wants 900 in 1 yr
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
My Mood: Stressed
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

I couldnt get to grips with squatting and deadlifting on the same day until BtB posted a video on the subject (its on here). I do 1x5 deadlift and 5x5 squat, so i simply deadlift first with good intensity and i find the squats dont suffer too much. On my "B" day I squat but dont deadlift, and i dont notice a big difference in the squat performance of the two days. I think managing intensity is key.
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,804, Level: 32 Points: 2,804, Level: 32 Points: 2,804, Level: 32
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinda87 View Post
For those of you have done programs like stronglifts and starting strength or who simply have experience squatting heavy sets(and overhead pressing too) before your deadlifts. Did you have more trouble progressing on your deadlift as the previous lifts got stronger in the program?And when you finished the program and maybe deadlifted fresh did you notice you were significantly stronger? If so how much stronger? I hear if your squat is getting better your deadlift most likely is as well.
Most programs that implement sets of 5 have a day of squat/press/dead, but realistically it's best do things in the order that you find from most important to least. Having said that if you deadlift after squats instead of pressing, you will likely do better even if your used to doing it the other way due to the simple fact your more fresh.
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

JByrd has me pulling after squats in this meet cycle and I love it. I recover better and as long as I cycle the intensity so I'm not heavy on both, it works great. Have a play with it.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook