Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #451
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Personally I'm not a fan of an over-arched back. The biggest pullers I've seen have tight/braced lower backs but a neutral spine angle. I do agree, however, that he's babying it off the floor, but I think that Mrinda is still trying to nail down his form. If that's the case then I'd prefer easing into it and making sure the form is tight and ready to support a more aggressive pull in a few months.
That's a good point about easing into it while dialing in form. I think you are right about that.

I didn't mean that he should have a pronounced arch in his lumbar, just that he is losing his spinal protection as he comes off the floor, and that keeping lumbar tightness and developing lumbar strength would help him correct that.

Gym PRs:
Raw w/wraps
650/455/635

My current log:
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...494#post458494
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #452
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
That's a good point about easing into it while dialing in form. I think you are right about that.

I didn't mean that he should have a pronounced arch in his lumbar, just that he is losing his spinal protection as he comes off the floor, and that keeping lumbar tightness and developing lumbar strength would help him correct that.
Definitely agree.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #453
Mrinda87
Mrinda87
Snowed in and browsing the forums..
Brawn
Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16 Points: 902, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
My Mood: Blah
Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts

Quote:
I didn't think about the belt. Good call. I agree to ditch the belt for now. It'll only keep you from developing the most strength and best form. Pull the belt out for max attempts and reassess bringing it out for training once you get up around 2xbodyweight. Make sure to get in some ab/core work and build your own belt.

Personally I'm not a fan of an over-arched back. The biggest pullers I've seen have tight/braced lower backs but a neutral spine angle. I do agree, however, that he's babying it off the floor, but I think that Mrinda is still trying to nail down his form. If that's the case then I'd prefer easing into it and making sure the form is tight and ready to support a more aggressive pull in a few months.

Mrinda, how long have you been lifting, and what do your numbers look like?
Thanks for the input guys. I have been "lifting" for a little over a year but only benching deadlifting and squatting for about 6 months. before i was just doing weighted dips, chins, rows, db pressing and leg pressing pretty much. Asfar as my numbers..I have no idea on my maxes I feel it's too early to do test them but as of right now on my program I'm up to 255 squat 5x5 135 ohp 5x4bench 185 5x5 and desdlift 2901x5..I'm really just focusing on dialing in my form right now especially on the deadlifts rather than moving as much weight as I physically can and having my back look like a half circle. also i weight a little under 160 at around 5"7 if that matters. I found this older video of me deadlifting the same weight in the one I posted but without a belt and from what it looks like to me ..better and tighter form..I can't really tell what I'm doing differently but I feel like my set up was a but different then because I remember it feeling incredibly easy..easier than It felt in my current video. Since then my squat and ohp have went up though and I do those lifts before my deadlifts..maybe I'm more fatigued overall? What do you guys see different (if anything) I'm my form here? http://youtu.be/q2TLpVtcHi0
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #454
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinda87 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I have been "lifting" for a little over a year but only benching deadlifting and squatting for about 6 months. before i was just doing weighted dips, chins, rows, db pressing and leg pressing pretty much. Asfar as my numbers..I have no idea on my maxes I feel it's too early to do test them but as of right now on my program I'm up to 255 squat 5x5 135 ohp 5x4bench 185 5x5 and desdlift 2901x5..I'm really just focusing on dialing in my form right now especially on the deadlifts rather than moving as much weight as I physically can and having my back look like a half circle. also i weight a little under 160 at around 5"7 if that matters. I found this older video of me deadlifting the same weight in the one I posted but without a belt and from what it looks like to me ..better and tighter form..I can't really tell what I'm doing differently but I feel like my set up was a but different then because I remember it feeling incredibly easy..easier than It felt in my current video. Since then my squat and ohp have went up though and I do those lifts before my deadlifts..maybe I'm more fatigued overall? What do you guys see different (if anything) I'm my form here? http://youtu.be/q2TLpVtcHi0
Those are great numbers for your weight and training age. The beltless deadlifts do look better.

My guess is that you aren't using the belt correctly when you wear it. Without the belt, you are tight and are bracing yourself hard. Maybe when you put the belt on, you expect it to do the bracing for you? If so, it doesn't work like that. You still have to push your abdomen out against it and get tight. This is why I suggested that you get a better belt if you want to continue using one.

Gym PRs:
Raw w/wraps
650/455/635

My current log:
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...494#post458494
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #455
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75 Points: 13,531, Level: 75
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Honestly, those are great numbers. Whatever you're doing, keep it up!
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #456
Mrinda87
Mrinda87
Brawn

Mrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good postsMrinda87 has made some good posts

Quote:
Honestly, those are great numbers. Whatever you're doing, keep it up!
Thanks, I don't really feel they are strong at all.. Just .trying to work up to the 315 225 and 405 milestones with solid form running a 3 day a week full body 5x5 at the moment. Things definitely get more technical when you start squatting and deadlifting.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #457
Mrinda87
Mrinda87
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Those are great numbers for your weight and training age. The beltless deadlifts do look better.

My guess is that you aren't using the belt correctly when you wear it. Without the belt, you are tight and are bracing yourself hard. Maybe when you put the belt on, you expect it to do the bracing for you? If so, it doesn't work like that. You still have to push your abdomen out against it and get tight. This is why I suggested that you get a better belt if you want to continue using one.
On the belt less video I remember I would pull my shoulder blades back and squeeze my upper back then I think I read not to pull them back...maybe I'll try that my next session with no belt

Last edited by Mrinda87; 12-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #458
bn2004
bn2004
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 247, Level: 4 Points: 247, Level: 4 Points: 247, Level: 4
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Not sure.
Fav Supp: Coffee
My Mood: Yeehaw
bn2004 has made some quality postsbn2004 has made some quality postsbn2004 has made some quality postsbn2004 has made some quality postsbn2004 has made some quality postsbn2004 has made some quality postsbn2004 has made some quality posts

Just looking to improve my squat 315x3 Not max effort, but not as easy as I would like. Any tips are appreciated, and sorry for the poor quality.

bn2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #459
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2004 View Post
Just looking to improve my squat 315x3 Not max effort, but not as easy as I would like. Any tips are appreciated, and sorry for the poor quality.

Everything looks fine to me. Depth is good, and the bar is staying over the center of your toes.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #460
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,855, Level: 39 Points: 3,855, Level: 39 Points: 3,855, Level: 39
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Can you guys give me some advice my deadlift form.
I dont know anyone who deadlifts so I have been getting info from you tube and just going by what feels right.

230 x 5 @ 160

thanks.

syn is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook