Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,494, Level: 30 Points: 2,494, Level: 30 Points: 2,494, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor
Default Mobility work for a better deadlift starting position?

What areas of the body should one stretch to easier and better get into the starting position for the deadlift?

I already regularly stretch the hamstrings (among other stretches that aren't necessarily beneficial for the deadlift).

I have a hard time bringing my hips down and maintaining a neutral spine.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Do you do any hip mobility work? Do you do anything to stretch your groin? Other than that, do you actually have a hard time getting into position as you say? Or is it a matter of your hips rising too fast at the start of the lift?
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

video?

you may have poor leverages for pulling and are ultimately screwed. when i pull conventional, in order to get my hips and be able to use them, my back is almost parallel to the floor. if i try to start like an oly lifter starts a jerk, i am so far behind the bar that my hips shoot first.

sumo is a bit better, however when the weights get heavier, my low back does most of the work. i think relatively long femurs in proportion to my other joints makes it so my hips are too far back in the correct starting position.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,494, Level: 30 Points: 2,494, Level: 30 Points: 2,494, Level: 30
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Do you do any hip mobility work? Do you do anything to stretch your groin? Other than that, do you actually have a hard time getting into position as you say? Or is it a matter of your hips rising too fast at the start of the lift?
I do some bodyweight squats at varying stance widths everyday before bed if that counts as groin stretching? Yes I have a hard time getting into the bottom position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
video?

you may have poor leverages for pulling and are ultimately screwed. when i pull conventional, in order to get my hips and be able to use them, my back is almost parallel to the floor. if i try to start like an oly lifter starts a jerk, i am so far behind the bar that my hips shoot first.

sumo is a bit better, however when the weights get heavier, my low back does most of the work. i think relatively long femurs in proportion to my other joints makes it so my hips are too far back in the correct starting position.
I have decent leverages for conventional, pretty long legs but also long arms.

Will edit post and add video when I get home, thanks guys.

EDIT: the guy deadlifting after the squats in the beginning is me. First time doing heavy deads without straps so thats part of the reason I take so much time in between reps.

'It's all them fat powerlifting molecules and no muscle' -Steve Shaw

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 01-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Kleurplaay is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Really, your starting position looks fine. Try deadlifting without a belt with lighter weight. Do you still feel like you can't get into position then? Second, it looks like you might let the bar drift forward some. Start hammering away bent over rows as strict as possible. That should help. As far as hips, light good mornings, focusing on pushing your hips back should help. Remember, you're not necessarily leaning over in a good morning, but pushing your hips back. Finally, start with leg swings, bird dogs, and some glute activation exercises. I have found doing all of that regularly along with my squats, Deads, whatever, allows me to stay "loose" and mobile.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook