Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,194, Level: 18 Points: 1,194, Level: 18 Points: 1,194, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: On and off since H/S
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Happy
AdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributor
Default Contemplating Changing Routine

So for most of this year I've been using the MAB 3 day full body workout, which I have enjoyed, and has been very effective in helping me get some strength built in between injuries and other stuff. Since the new year is starting I was thinking about changing to an upper/lower type workout, in particular this one:http://muscleandbrawn.com/early-inte...g-4-day-split/ with a few modifications.(switch the squats and deadlifts to the rep goal system from my present workout. I don't have a workable max weight) Would the more experieced lifters here suggest a change, or should I just stay with my present workout?
To be quite honest, the main reason I'm thinking about changing is because I have so much free time now. I'm done with school, so an extra day at the gym would give me something to do/look foward to, and structure my day.

As a side question (I don't know why I'm so full of questions lately..lol) Have any of y'all ever been apprehensive about asking for a spot? I know I could get a few extra reps on some lifts with the extra safety net, but I can't seem to bring myseft to ask for spots on the super low weights im using compared to everyone else. Plus I don't want to interrupt the "real lifters" from thier workout. I know its a ME issue I have to work on, but I was wondering if anyone else ever felt that way.
AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNC View Post
I don't have a workable max weight) Would the more experieced lifters here suggest a change, or should I just stay with my present workout?
I think if you've stuck to a routine for a while it's definitely ok to try something new. It's the guys that switch every week that make me nervous.

I would calculate your approx. max here and start on the low side:

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/one-re...alculator.html

Quote:
Have any of y'all ever been apprehensive about asking for a spot?
Yes.

I always train alone so I have learned to stay safe on all sets and just go for safe progression. It doesn't matter if you can get a few more reps with a spotter. Get what you can get and the progression will come.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Dray
Dray
is in ur base building
Max Brawn
Points: 6,980, Level: 55 Points: 6,980, Level: 55 Points: 6,980, Level: 55
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I'm not at all disagreeing with Steve here, but my experiences are very different, given that I train at a gym (not a hardcore/powerlifting gym btw, just a crappy little one in a small town).

You don't lift less that everyone else - guaranteed. Plus, it doesn't matter one bit what your numbers are. Progress is where it's at. For example, if there's a guy at the gym who's repping out 300 on the bench, but he's been doing exactly that for 10 years (and it probably took him 20 to get there), in my opinion he is doing something horribly, horribly wrong. And yes, I have seen a couple of cases more or less similar to that (not as impressive though).

Anyway. As for asking for a spot, I think that when you really feel you need one, just ask. Don't worry about how you look, what you're lifting, all that crap. Just do your best (as always), thank them, and carry on. There was a time recently where I was training while still a bit ill (okay, maybe not so brilliant an idea ), and just kinda knew I might need a spot after my first set of benching. Sure enough, first rep in the second set, I nearly blacked out half way through. Didn't actually need the spotter to do anything as it turns out, but it sure was comforting anyhow.

Don't overuse spotters, is my advice. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with asking for one occasionally, and often this will mean you'll be asked some time in the future. One of those things that helps to strengthen a sense of community in the gym. But of course, each to their own, etc.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn

AdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributorAdamNC is a consistent contributor

Ok, this is going to sound stupid, I know. In this workout, when it says to work up to a certain percentage of your max for a single (85% of max for example), what exactly does than mean? I'm assuming that you are to do singles of lower weights until you get to the target weight. Yes or No?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 8,566, Level: 62 Points: 8,566, Level: 62 Points: 8,566, Level: 62
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNC View Post
Ok, this is going to sound stupid, I know. In this workout, when it says to work up to a certain percentage of your max for a single (85% of max for example), what exactly does than mean? I'm assuming that you are to do singles of lower weights until you get to the target weight. Yes or No?
Yes but it doesn't have to be singles.
Say you want to deadlift 405 as your working set.

I would do.
135x10 185x5 225x5 275x5 315x3 365x3
Then start my sets with 405. So basically quarter, plate, quarter, plate. Its just a warmup.

Google the 5/3/1 warmup sets. It is a fantastic warmup built into the workout.
Basically 5 reps 5 reps 3 reps with increasing percentage of max.

Last edited by fenrisulfr; 12-29-2013 at 10:19 PM.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
AdamNC
AdamNC
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Yes but it doesn't have to be singles.
Say you want to deadlift 405 as your working set.

I would do.
135x10 185x5 225x5 275x5 315x3 365x3
Then start my sets with 405. So basically quarter, plate, quarter, plate. Its just a warmup.

Google the 5/3/1 warmup sets. It is a fantastic warmup built into the workout.
Basically 5 reps 5 reps 3 reps with increasing percentage of max.
Ok, I see, thanks for the clarification

Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,066, Level: 55 Points: 7,066, Level: 55 Points: 7,066, Level: 55
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

I lift at home and always have so I never have a spot but I have learned to stop a set just shy off failure like btb as already said.

Share with Facebook